The Royal Houses Of Punjab

Freed

Here are the Royal Houses of Punjab

PATIALA

Ala Singh - Founder of Patiala

ala8byqe4.jpg

Maharaja Mohindar Singh of Patiala (died 1876)

dsc01183ep8.jpg

Maharaja Rajindar Singh Patiala

dsc01156ir1.jpg

The visit of the Viceroy Lord Ripon in 1884 - Patiala ( Maharaja Rajindar Singh)

dsc01179if0.jpg

The Maharaja Bhupindar Singh as a boy - note the dwarf - a lucky mascot - on the left

dsc01180mx4.jpg

as a boy

of50183443md8.jpg

Bhupindar Singh hunting with the Prince of Wales ( later to abdicate in the Wallace Simpson crisis)

dsc01149dk3.jpg

On horseback

dsc01192nh8.jpg

Bhupindar Singh on the roof of the Savoy Hotel, London

dsc01160jk1.jpg

Bhupinder Singh wearing the 'Nishan-i-Phul' and medals

dsc01188me6.jpg

The Patiala Cricket team - the Patiala XI at Chail - the highest crickect ground in the world

dsc011982me8.jpg

The Patiala Palace - Motibagh

dsc012012oj6.jpg

Bhupinder Singh in all his finery

dsc01168qe8.jpg

The Patiala Necklace made by Cartier - their biggest ever commission - a total of 962.25 carats - including the De Beers 'yellow' 234.65 carat diamond

dsc01169bs3.jpg

Bhupinder Singh and the ladies of his family - photo by Van Dyke

dsc01170al1.jpg

one is wearing a Cartier Ruby necklace

dsc01171wd2.jpg

dsc01172ce8.jpg

An informal sitting - Bhupinder Singh without his trademark Turban , a pair of glasses perched on his forehead- sitting with his daughters - photo by Van Dyke

dsc01152ra0.jpg

The Patiala Children - including Yadvinder Singh - Father of Amrinder Singh - the Current Maharaja

dsc01155lc5.jpg

dsc01184gv8.jpg

Note the Torch / Flashlight - a new toy !

dsc01185yq5.jpg

The Maharaja Bhupinder Singh Patiala with the Maharaja of Kapurthala Jagatjit Singh

dsc01182wf1.jpg

Maharaja Yadvinder Singh

of50323443ge0.jpg

wearing the Cartier necklace

yadvindras8woya6.jpg

The wedding of Captain Amrinder Singh and Preneet Kaur

dsc011962zj8.jpg

Captain Amrinder Singh - the current Maharaja

dsc01194vu8.jpg

Amrinder Singh with Giani Zail Singh

amrinder23pvwa8.jpg

The Tikka Sahib - the heir of Patiala - Raninder Singh

dsc012132gq8.jpg

NABHA

Maharaja Hira Singh with his heir Ripudaman Singh

dsc01151ru5.jpg

KAPURTHALA

The Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala - as a pampered chubby child - he shows no signs of the cultured 'Francophile' he became in later life - note the stripey socks and ill fitting 'mojey' shoes.

dsc01157ds9.jpg

Jagatjit Singh playing tennis

dsc01150gu8.jpg

Jagatjit Singh in Europe 1893 - with his wife - said to have been smuggled out dressed as a man - as women were not allowed out of the palace or travel !

dsc01159zi9.jpg

The Kapurthala Palace modelled on Versailles

dsc012002ul6.jpg

Jagatjit Singh on a Tricycle - it is said that he was too large to mount or dis mount without help - when he drove around Kapurthala - the sweet shop vendors would tease him by saying come inside and have some sweets - knowing he couldn't get off the tricycle - even if he wanted to !

dsc01193ii5.jpg

The Kapurthala Princes

dsc01158af2.jpg

the princes dressed in European clothes

dsc01154qa1.jpg

Kapurthala was known for it's taste and extravagance - and also it's glamour - here is a collection highlighting the Lavish and glamourous 1920s and 1930s

Amrit Kaur - daughter of Jagatjit Singh and Rani of Mandi

dsc01163no4.jpg

Amrit Kaur and children

dsc01153mz6.jpg

Rani Sita Devi of Kapurthala - by Andre Durst 1934

dsc01165vr3.jpg

Sita Devi by Cecil Beaton 1937

dsc01164ej2.jpg

Sita Devi 1935

dsc01175da0.jpg

by Cecil Beaton 1940

dsc01176gr4.jpg

1940s

dsc01173ou0.jpg

dsc01174fu8.jpg

Maharani Brinda Devi of Kapurthala - oil by Laszlo

dsc01161rf7.jpg

The Current Maharaja - Brig. Sukhjit Singh

of50338443tq3.jpg

Sukhjit Singh with Tikka , heir Shatrujit Singh

dsc011992lm8.jpg

JIND

The maharaja Ranbir Singh and his Romanian wife Olive

dsc01187ll6.jpg

The marriage of Yuvraj Rajbir Singh of Jind 1939 - with 'Chhattar' above his head to ward off the 'evil eye'

dsc01197pu6.jpg

FARIDKOT

The Maharaja Balbir Singh of Faridkot

dsc01186nm8.jpg

Maharaja Brijinder Singh of Faridkot

dsc01189kk5.jpg

dsc01190qu7.jpg

MALERKOTLA

The current Nawab of Malerkotla standing infront of a portrait of Nawab Ahmad Ali Khan of Malerkotla

dsc01191xj5.jpg

****Pictures and References from :

The Sikhs Images of a Heritage - T S Randhawa - Prakash Books - 2000

The Maharaja - Sharada Dwivedi - Roli Books - 1999

The Unforgettable Maharajas - E Jaiwant Paul & Pramod Kapoor - 2003

Made for Maharajas - Amin Jaffer - New Holland - 2006

Indian Princely Medals - Tony McClenaghan - Lancer - 1996

Gurdwaras - Patwant Singh - Himalayan - 1992

The Illustrated History of the Sikhs (1947-1978) - Gur Rattan Pal Singh - 1979

Sikh Shrines in West Pakistan - Khan Mohammed Waliullah Khan - Govt of Pakistan - 1962

The Maharajas - John lord - Random House - 1971

Khalsa Panth - Khushwant Singh Raghu Rai - Tricolour - 1984

Gurshabad Rattanakar Mahan Kosh - Kahn Singh Nabha

Sale Catalogue - Dix Noonan Webb - 'Nishan-i- Phul' - July 2003

Hope you enjoyed the photographs !

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

Thanks for pictures (some of them never seen before) :)

I think we only have Mahraja Ranjit who was the best of all in terms of sikhi.. even though he was married to few ladies, used to drink but he was in some way very un-selfish type person who was awesome social helper kinda king. As i see... Nobody can top him in anyway.. I read Passion India (must read) book and it reveals how lusty royal kings of Kapurthala and Patiala were.. one having over 100 wives and other having more than 300 wives (bhupinder).. and also read that how raja of patiala doesn't want industry to come to town because he had fear that he might get shortage of workers at his palace of 1000 rooms.. Things like that makes us wonder.. how good or bad they were.. somethings are just too much to digest, maybe these stuff were norm at that era.. Just my views on Royal kings of punjab.. sorry for taking this thread in a negative/off topic way...