Readymade Turbans Online......

Guest _DAS_

• 9 months later...
Guest Pareshan Singh

Others do not spend time on all this nautanki, tying pag and setting beard. Why do we waste time on this. I am a sikh guy and i fail to understand why the hell we need to do all this and waste time in getting ready like a girl. For God's sake it's my head not genitals that it should be covered.

Also, i was tying patka earlier that caused my wound behind my ear, now trying a pag, somehow i tie it wasting lots of time, and it's pains awfully, my ears literally cry.

My parents never let me cut off my hair, which is nothing but like a waste appendix on my body. And now at 35 years of age, m stuck for nowhere. Have wounds behind ear, trying pag now, head paining badly 

Don't know why would a a so called God ever make any rule (not cutting hairs) that just gives problems to its followers, u waste time everyday getting ready, u can't wash everyday and maintain cleanliness, u suffer pain due to pag or turban, u someone's look stupid due to incorrectly tied pag, patka, turban.

Don't know why the so called God asked to be like fancy dress competitors throughout the life???

Guest Jacfsing2
1 hour ago, Guest Pareshan Singh said:

Others do not spend time on all this nautanki, tying pag and setting beard. Why do we waste time on this. I am a sikh guy and i fail to understand why the hell we need to do all this and waste time in getting ready like a girl. For God's sake it's my head not genitals that it should be covered.

Also, i was tying patka earlier that caused my wound behind my ear, now trying a pag, somehow i tie it wasting lots of time, and it's pains awfully, my ears literally cry.

My parents never let me cut off my hair, which is nothing but like a waste appendix on my body. And now at 35 years of age, m stuck for nowhere. Have wounds behind ear, trying pag now, head paining badly 

Don't know why would a a so called God ever make any rule (not cutting hairs) that just gives problems to its followers, u waste time everyday getting ready, u can't wash everyday and maintain cleanliness, u suffer pain due to pag or turban, u someone's look stupid due to incorrectly tied pag, patka, turban.

Don't know why the so called God asked to be like fancy dress competitors throughout the life???

You seem lost, most people spend more time shaving than we do tying Dastars and Keskis. Do you assume Non-Sikhs don't comb their hair as well? Tie a looser Keski, (not too much Patkas if that's too tight for you). You can try a loose dumalla or Gol Dastar if the Shahi is too tight. Since your 35, we can assume you are old enough to make your own decisions without asking your parents. Not cutting hairs are natural, would you rather follow a religion that requires people to cut their genitals or something? Does anyone really care what you look like, are you busy trying to impress people or impress Guru Sahib, and you can easily learn how to tie a Dastar on YouTube. Wearing a Turban isn't really that fancy, it's just for covering Kesh. Also you don't have to wear a Thatha just use a brush and clean your beard. But at the end of the day it depends on your Pyar for the Guru, not anything else.

Guest Arjanpal Kaur

Interesting thread. Years old and still being commented on today. When I started wearing a turban, I asked several different ladies for help. They all said yes but never offered a firm time to get together and practice. These are good people and they have good intentions; they are just busy with school and work and family, like everyone. I watched hours and hours and hours of videos on YouTube and am still doing so. I read something every day - that's how I landed in this conversation. Trying to learn all the correct terminology. Dastaar. Patka. Joora. Keski. Dumalla. I just saw the word "Shahi" today in this thread. I look closely at other people's turbans when I sit or stand behind them. I truly enjoy seeing how each person ties his or her turban and I learn from each one. After a few years of wearing my turban only after work and on the weekends and now coming up on a year of tying one 7 days a week (and standing strong in the face of A LOT of ignorant comments from my coworkers), I feel like FINALLY I'm getting semi-competent. Notice that I said SEMI-competent. Turbans are kinda like hair itself - some days go better than others. It does take time and practice. I have had to let go of leaving the house in a perfect turban every single time. Some days ever after 3-4 tries, it just doesn't look right. I get REALLY frustrated. But I do my best and the rest is just my ego. People who don't wear turbans don't even know the difference and hopefully my brothers and sisters will forgive me. It always comes out better when I re-tie it later in the day, anyway. I have also discovered that turbans seem to be like snowflakes; no two people tie their turban exactly the same way. Even if you learn from someone else, the shape of your head is different than theirs, your hair is thinner or thicker, you don't have precisely the same fabric they do, etc. "Full voile" from one shop seems to tie much better than "full voile" from another shop. Technically they are the same. But there are certainly differences. Tying my turban every day - twice if I can and as we are meant to do - is a discipline I do out of love. I can no longer imagine leaving the house without my turban - and wearing one every day has changed me in so many other ways. The ways of WaheGuru. If your turban hurts your ears, many people in the city where I live tie theirs behind their ears. In the beginning, I judged that and said "oh, that doesn't look right." And "isn't our turban supposed to cover our ears?" Then a kind and thoughtful Sikh (with whom I walked around the Guru about 6 weeks ago) said "a tight turban over the ears causes some people a great deal of pain. So they tie their turban behind their ears." Now it looks fine to me and I realize I was being a <banned word filter activated> to judge those people. Just give yourself some time. Maybe your brothers have more time to help you than some of my sisters did. Watch YouTube. Try a longer length with your fabric - that helped me a great deal. In the beginning, I wasn't using quite enough fabric. The logic behind that was "I don't want a big, honkin turban." But I just didn't give myself enough fabric to work with. Now I use those shorter lengths of cloth I started out with for my joora. It's all coming together, a little at a time. This is just how I see things and I'm not Punjabi, so take what you like and leave the rest behind. But our turbans are the crowns of our identity. They are worth their weight in gold x 1,000,000,000. As a convert, I cannot tell you how proud I am to wear a turban and how happy I am when I see brothers and sisters out in the world and get to say "Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh!" Dear brother, please don't buy and wear some HAT - which, if it's pre-tied, is what it is. Just make a start and be willing for your turban to look less than perfect in the beginning. But tie it every day with love and respect. Don't tie your beard up in those things, whatever they're called (another vocabulary word for me to learn). Care for your hair and your beard! Use a good clarifying shampoo, followed by some nice oil to nourish your scalp, your skin and your hair. Massage and brush every day. Maybe your wife will do that for you. It's about pride in our identity as Sikhs. It's self-love. Doesn't matter if everyone else shaves and trims and says to us "why do you do all that?" It's entirely up to you, of course. You don't HAVE to wear a turban if you don't want to. I think everyone looks better in one and I like to be easily identified as a Sikh. But that's just me. However you choose, I wish you and all of us the very best. WAHE GURU JI KA KHALSA, WAHE GURU GI KI FATEH!

Guest Pareshan Singh
4 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

You seem lost, most people spend more time shaving than we do tying Dastars and Keskis. Do you assume Non-Sikhs don't comb their hair as well? Tie a looser Keski, (not too much Patkas if that's too tight for you). You can try a loose dumalla or Gol Dastar if the Shahi is too tight. Since your 35, we can assume you are old enough to make your own decisions without asking your parents. Not cutting hairs are natural, would you rather follow a religion that requires people to cut their genitals or something? Does anyone really care what you look like, are you busy trying to impress people or impress Guru Sahib, and you can easily learn how to tie a Dastar on YouTube. Wearing a Turban isn't really that fancy, it's just for covering Kesh. Also you don't have to wear a Thatha just use a brush and clean your beard. But at the end of the day it depends on your Pyar for the Guru, not anything else.

Are you from some other planet, non sikh people do not shave everyday & Its just a 2 minute thing to comb your hair.

Also suppose you are sitting at your home wearing nothing on your head and there's an urgent situation for which you need to run immediately, you first need to search a head gear for you , tie it, spnd atleast 5 minutes on it, irrespective of someone's dying out there.

And you sound to be a small kid giving ideas like tying keski, dastar, that looks very casual. Unset beard too, think about working at some senior position in corporate world, you can't be that unkempt. Your pag bugging you whole day. It becomes tough. 

Also the fact that the only religion who cut their genitals came to your mind while responding back, without me mentioning any reference to other religions, implies how so impressed you are by that religion.

And i do have pyar for God, i do trust there's some divine force, don't know why guru enforced all this crazy stuff, what was so divine to not wash your hair everyday and take a nice shower everyday, carry your smelly sweaty hairs throughout week badly waiting for weekend to freshen up. And then wait for them to dry.

Just google 'ears paining due to sikh pagdi' and u will find innumerous posts on various blogs posted by victims like me.

As i understand different religions is just a outcome of political ambitions. Ancient people living in different places disconnected from other parts of world made their own beliefs, customs and then when they met / clashed with other civilisations they held up to their way of living trying to say they are better. Once they could spread their beliefs to others, they would feel proud of growing and expanding the area under control of their clan.

Guest Pareshan Singh
20 hours ago, Jacfsing2 said:

Just one question, why pyaar for guru, with all this effort and discomfort. Why can't u pray and show love

Even if you don't feel uncomfortable, isn't it an additional effort, some extra time, extra maintenance and lots of pain for those who face problems in doing all this.

And just one question, don't you hide that part of your body which you are shy to keep open in public, which is not social to keep open. I believe hairs are not that, then even if we have long ones why to close cover them, if they aaye supposed to be your pride

Guest Jacfsing2
18 hours ago, Guest Pareshan Singh said:

Are you from some other planet, non sikh people do not shave everyday & Its just a 2 minute thing to comb your hair.

Also suppose you are sitting at your home wearing nothing on your head and there's an urgent situation for which you need to run immediately, you first need to search a head gear for you , tie it, spnd atleast 5 minutes on it, irrespective of someone's dying out there.

And you sound to be a small kid giving ideas like tying keski, dastar, that looks very casual. Unset beard too, think about working at some senior position in corporate world, you can't be that unkempt. Your pag bugging you whole day. It becomes tough. 

Also the fact that the only religion who cut their genitals came to your mind while responding back, without me mentioning any reference to other religions, implies how so impressed you are by that religion.

And i do have pyar for God, i do trust there's some divine force, don't know why guru enforced all this crazy stuff, what was so divine to not wash your hair everyday and take a nice shower everyday, carry your smelly sweaty hairs throughout week badly waiting for weekend to freshen up. And then wait for them to dry.

Just google 'ears paining due to sikh pagdi' and u will find innumerous posts on various blogs posted by victims like me.

As i understand different religions is just a outcome of political ambitions. Ancient people living in different places disconnected from other parts of world made their own beliefs, customs and then when they met / clashed with other civilisations they held up to their way of living trying to say they are better. Once they could spread their beliefs to others, they would feel proud of growing and expanding the area under control of their clan.

If you weren't going to shave everyday, (if you were to follow that lifestyle), then you would be getting a subtle which would seem really dirty. None of the Gurus tied their beards, so your clearly insulting their Saroop, (the British made Sikhs tie their beards to make them more obedient, before that Sikhs had their beards open), just use a brush and open open Dhari. It's really your choice whether you join a religion that cuts their genitals, (Daas has no interest in false religions). Guru Sahib himself said that he loves the Code of Conduct more than the Sikh. For your ears just tie your pagri looser, instead of making it really tight. When Guru Sahib was in the forms of 1-10, there was no Sikh kingdom; so them trying to expand some political territory would be impractical.

3 hours ago, Guest Pareshan Singh said:

Just one question, why pyaar for guru, with all this effort and discomfort. Why can't u pray and show love

Even if you don't feel uncomfortable, isn't it an additional effort, some extra time, extra maintenance and lots of pain for those who face problems in doing all this.

And just one question, don't you hide that part of your body which you are shy to keep open in public, which is not social to keep open. I believe hairs are not that, then even if we have long ones why to close cover them, if they aaye supposed to be your pride

It's your choice whether you actually have pyaar for Guru Sahib; that's between you and him; however, if you wanted to you could go to one of them Nudist beaches so you can feel normal for showing everything to the world. At the end of the day; it's all you, and somehow, Daas feels like you never had an opportunity to study on actual Sikhi.

On 17/06/2014 at 0:42 PM, Guest Jai Singh said:

C'on Guys stop giving this poor guy a hard time. At least he is trying. Iam a Sikh and haven't taken any interest in religion and things have change and I want to know my origin and do the right thing. I also don't know how to tie a turban. Also want to teach my children. Is this how you all treat your brothers who don't know anything?

bro most sikhs would love to help a brother or sister to learn how to tie the dastar just ask , They may not be experts but it's a good starting point .Also,these days you also have loads of demonstrative vids posted on YT too for bibian as well. 

On 17/06/2014 at 0:42 PM, Guest Jai Singh said:

C'on Guys stop giving this poor guy a hard time. At least he is trying. Iam a Sikh and haven't taken any interest in religion and things have change and I want to know my origin and do the right thing. I also don't know how to tie a turban. Also want to teach my children. Is this how you all treat your brothers who don't know anything?

Bro he calls himself pareshan I would be if I didn't keep good personal hygiene like him , going week long without washing hair , how about your daily showers ? How about learning to tie dastars less tightly, because it is obvious you have a tight tying habit , because changing from a patka to a turban didn't resolve pain and damage to skin issues. Stop looking for faults in Guru Pita ji's sikhi and think about where your own lack is . From your harsh words it seems you want to blame Guru ji for your lack of patience, hygiene, and faith . You come across as a sulky pouting teenager not a grown man , do you know why Guru Gobind Singh ji placed a CROWN on your head and all gursikhs' heads? because the world was trying to grind people down into nothingness, to be treated like animals . Because he loved you as his own sons. So many gursikhs gave their all to hand that beloved status down to you : a self-sovereign sikh . Fine if you do not think you are worthy now, earn it, by improving yourself through bhagti and sewa else join the sheep lead down the road to nowhere by Maya and other people's opinions. 

Guest Pareshaan Singh Jr.

Bhaaji you are absolutely right. I am also sitting in my office right now constantly bugged by turban. Sometimes I feel this turban is a major factor I am not able to clear any competetive exam as it is always that I am just a bit short of cracking it and turban is what keeps me bugging even in the examination hall. Moreover, I have to give 30-40 minutes everyday tying it which I can use to brush up my other skills that may help to crack the exam. I have a little hardened piece just above my forehead which keeps paining all day, hindering my concentration. All I am wishing is to go early to my PG and remove turban so that I can study.

I am not against turban. I like wearing it and I want to wear it. That is why I am wearing it. But the society will rather reject you for not being able to fulfill your dreams rather than appreciate you for letting them go so as to keep wearing the turban. Can any of you please suggest me how can I tie a good-looking turban within 5-10 Minutes maximum that is very comfortable. I know I don't fully know the art of tying turban and want to learn it correctly. Otherwise, I will be a failure on both fronts, sooner or later.