Sikh Charity Work

mala

VaheguruJeeKaKhalsaVaheguruJeeKiFateh.

Need help.

Is there any genuine sikh charities in the UK which are active and carrying out real charity work? I have been directed to many redundant or non active Sikh charities which don't seem to be transparent about what they do.

I don't want to know about organisations or the 300 plus gurdwara committees set up as a charity, I need advice on genuine Sikh charities and their activities, not just websites but real examples.

Thanks.

VaheguruJeeKaKhalsaVaheguruJeeKiFateh.

Need help.

Is there any genuine sikh charities in the UK which are active and carrying out real charity work? I have been directed to many redundant or non active Sikh charities which don't seem to be transparent about what they do.

I don't want to know about organisations or the 300 plus gurdwara committees set up as a charity, I need advice on genuine Sikh charities and their activities, not just websites but real examples.

Thanks.

The lack of response to your post and from my personal experiences I think the answer is quite simply NO. You are probably correct in your observation regarding registered Sikh charities, there may be a few hundred of those but most, if not all, will be prabhandak committee structures managing the property funds of Gurdwaras.

I think as a community we have been manipulated and emotionally blackmailed into funding building extension after building extension or the next newest multi million pound computerized gurdwara buildings which we can label as institutes or academies. The truth is in visible charity work the UK Sikh community have little to show but in property asset building we probably have an impressive portfolio.

If it’s charity work you want to get involved in then hook up with your local Samaritan groups and see if there’s something you can do.

Is anyone involved in a Sikh charity, if so what activities are carried out. I need some material and contact info for research. So far I have sturggled to find any panthic charity groups who are consistent and active in the uk.

Does anyone contribute their daswand to a charity? The Sikh community in the uk is a rich community where millions can be raised for purchase of buildings, tournaments and samagams. Can someone verify what kind of level of potential donation Sikh charities can raise.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Does anyone contribute their daswand to a charity? The Sikh community in the uk is a rich community where millions can be raised for purchase of buildings, tournaments and samagams. Can someone verify what kind of level of potential donation Sikh charities can raise.

I have only done this once but i wish to participate in something similar but in july i took part in the fulcrum challenge which is helping kids of 17 and 18 develop leadership skills, anyway i raised 1550 pounds for charity and a guy called Jack Petchey he doubled the amount of what i raised and 20 others and the money went to the people of Botswana a certain town in the country, I helped build foundations of a office which the community can later build the office which they could sell reeds from the river delta which is about 50metres away from where we built the foundations for the office.

Also we went to a school which is run by an American man who has been a head teacher of many schools and is well known for his charity work for kids, he runs the school with his own funding, he does not get funded by the government and we went there and he asked us to build like a shelter like a green house but different so they could plant vegetables and it would keep the animals out such as parrots and the dogs and also the elephants when they wonder in to the school area. anyway i thought id share this as i havent talked about it for ages and i am very proud of my work i done in Botswana,

ps i was meant to get 70 UCAS points for this BUT i chose not to take them as i done this to help the kids and for the experiance :p

also it was hard being one of the only vegetarians there lol had to cook my own food :(

http://www.fulcrum-challenge.org/main/

see the link!

post-15030-1231883561_thumb.jpg

post-15030-1231883707_thumb.jpg

Try this link. I dont know too much about the Org's activities or true intentions just that they seem to advocate and action what you are looking for: http://www.khalsaaid.org/contactus.html

Maybe once you have researched Khalsaaid, you can come back and share your experiences with the rest of us.

I hope this helps

Fateh

Fateh Ji,

My feeling is that when we do Sewa with maya (money and things) we must ensure due diligence.

Very often I feel if we do Sewa with 'tann, mann and dhann' our Sewa does not land up in unscrouplus hands.

One must also remember that 'gareeb da mooh is Guru di golak'.

So please do try to aportion your Daswand for : helping the needy, Guru Ghar, Social causes.

Guru Rakha

I have only done this once but i wish to participate in something similar but in july i took part in the fulcrum challenge which is helping kids of 17 and 18 develop leadership skills, anyway i raised 1550 pounds for charity and a guy called Jack Petchey he doubled the amount of what i raised and 20 others and the money went to the people of Botswana a certain town in the country, I helped build foundations of a office which the community can later build the office which they could sell reeds from the river delta which is about 50metres away from where we built the foundations for the office.

Also we went to a school which is run by an American man who has been a head teacher of many schools and is well known for his charity work for kids, he runs the school with his own funding, he does not get funded by the government and we went there and he asked us to build like a shelter like a green house but different so they could plant vegetables and it would keep the animals out such as parrots and the dogs and also the elephants when they wonder in to the school area. anyway i thought id share this as i havent talked about it for ages and i am very proud of my work i done in Botswana,

ps i was meant to get 70 UCAS points for this BUT i chose not to take them as i done this to help the kids and for the experiance :p

also it was hard being one of the only vegetarians there lol had to cook my own food :(

http://www.fulcrum-challenge.org/main/

see the link!

That sounded like a great inspirational sewa! Well done Singh.

It seems rare to see Sikhs who really get down to the knitty gritty hands on sewa. We have some amazing examples like Bhagat Puran Singh, however as a community we don't seem to recognise as much about his jeevan as we should.

The real essence of Sikh Sewa needs to be projected out of the 4 walls of the Gurdwara and expressed on the street. We might run the best langar kitchens but if it's only feeding our chubby relatives then is it truly Sarbat Da Bhalla??

That sounded like a great inspirational sewa! Well done Singh.

It seems rare to see Sikhs who really get down to the knitty gritty hands on sewa. We have some amazing examples like Bhagat Puran Singh, however as a community we don't seem to recognise as much about his jeevan as we should.

The real essence of Sikh Sewa needs to be projected out of the 4 walls of the Gurdwara and expressed on the street. We might run the best langar kitchens but if it's only feeding our chubby relatives then is it truly Sarbat Da Bhalla??

it was hard work, the likes of Bhagat Puran Singh inspired me I was very lucky to do this, as my head of year ''Miss Kaur'' refused my application but I contacted the charity and got a place :D . A singh friend of mine should be doing it this year but have to speak to him if he is still doing it.

I agree completely with you about the essence of Sikh sewa, everyone needs to do something to help the less fortunate in what ever way we can.

Thanks for the responses. Its positive to know that some sikhs take the initiative to do charity work regardless of the charity organisation.

If we explain to non sikhs what sarbat da balla is, how can we show with this practical examples? Are Sikhs becoming more and more an insular community where sarbat da balla is treated as more as a myth than reality? If the community had a million pounds to spend would they buy another building, creating another Gurdwara or would they input the million pounds into building a shelter for the homeless or help the homeless get back on track by giving them deposits to rent rooms.

As Sikh youth do we se?e the necessity for community sewa or do we see the necessity to be part of insular groups who do not interact with people outside their groups/jathas/committees?

Is there any further benefit from Gurdwara expansions? Are we misusing the Gurus golak to invest more and more in property, opening more Gurdwaras thereby creating more insular groups?

I have my opinions on this but would like to know the opinions of others and therefore have spectrum of views on what the current Sikh charity situation is?

Thanks

short response

there are loads of INDIVIDUALS who are doing seva, by themselves around the whole globe. a proper Sikh charity who travelled to many desinations inc bosnia,tsumani struck areas, etc first one that springs to mind is Khalsa Aid, however I believe they have now dispanded and continue work individually or in small groups.