Sikh Charity Work

mala

Thanks for the responses. Its positive to know that some sikhs take the initiative to do charity work regardless of the charity organisation.

If we explain to non sikhs what sarbat da balla is, how can we show with this practical examples? Are Sikhs becoming more and more an insular community where sarbat da balla is treated as more as a myth than reality? If the community had a million pounds to spend would they buy another building, creating another Gurdwara or would they input the million pounds into building a shelter for the homeless or help the homeless get back on track by giving them deposits to rent rooms.

As Sikh youth do we se?e the necessity for community sewa or do we see the necessity to be part of insular groups who do not interact with people outside their groups/jathas/committees?

Is there any further benefit from Gurdwara expansions? Are we misusing the Gurus golak to invest more and more in property, opening more Gurdwaras thereby creating more insular groups?

I have my opinions on this but would like to know the opinions of others and therefore have spectrum of views on what the current Sikh charity situation is?

Thanks

I sort of made my own conclusions on the whole Sikh Charity thing. It seems to be an indvidual action rather than a community action. Most SIkhs in influentional positions (elected committees, self created jathebhandis or self apointed jathedars/mukhis) would tend to favour spending the Guru's Golak on their own projects (such as new Gurdwara's or modifications to the existing Gurdwaras) than let the funds be spent on "non-Sikh" people.

I think western Sikhs are econimically sucessful and privaleged enough to have a high proportion of disposable income. Question is is it being channelled to the right causes?

VaheguruJeeKaKhalsaVaheguruJeeKiFateh.

Need help.

Is there any genuine sikh charities in the UK which are active and carrying out real charity work? I have been directed to many redundant or non active Sikh charities which don't seem to be transparent about what they do.

I don't want to know about organisations or the 300 plus gurdwara committees set up as a charity, I need advice on genuine Sikh charities and their activities, not just websites but real examples.

Thanks.

I myself work for a Sikh charity organisation in Edinburgh called Sikh Sanjog. We work in particular with women and children. We have lots of exiting activities happening and are very transparent about where we are at. Any questions either contact me here, we have an un-updated website or contact the office directly.

Hope this helps

Angela