The Truth About Anhad Shabad In Gurbani!

http://gurmatbibek.com/forum/read.php?3,3868

Radhasoamis and Yogis claim that the Anhad Shabad are 5 in number and they use Gurbani Shabads containing "Panch Shabad" to prove their point that there are 5 kinds of Anhad Shabad. The word "Panch" also means superior or great. "Panch Shabad" actually means superior or celestial Shabads that Gurmukhs hear when their Dasam Duaar opens up. Below is a very interesting story from Bhai Sahib's life, and that sheds a great deal on Anhad Shabads. This Saakhi has been taken from Bhai Sahib's book "Anhad Shabad Dasam Duaar". It's not a direct translation.

Once a gursikh came to Bhai Sahib and started talking about Anhad Shabad. He said that he could now clearly hear the bell ring, sometimes the roaring of clouds and even a flute. He wanted to confirm his spiritual state with Bhai Sahib. Bhai Sahib in response to his question said that he did not hear any of these voices and sounds i.e. instrumental sounds. At this he got greatly disheartened.

Bhai Sahib asked him what exactly he was doing while doing abhyaas. He said that he had a black dot on the wall for dhyaan (concentration) and he does one Siri Sukhmani Sahib paath looking at the dot. Then he kept his mind quiet and tried to listen to the five kinds of celestial sounds (as written by Yogis and Radhasoamis). After a while he started hearing faint sounds of ringing bells, waterfall, flute etc. The black dot too illuminated and this really motivated him and he started thinking that he was listening to Anhad Shabad.

Bhai Sahib did not doubt what he was telling because Bhai Sahib knew that this person was telling the truth. Bhai Sahib told him that they would discuss this again the next day. That day at night Bhai Sahib sat in Smadhi and tried to hear the five sounds this person was mentioning. He could not hear anything other than Gurmat Anhad Shabad (Sifat Salaah that occurs in Sachkhand). From this high spiritual state, Bhai Sahib brought down his surtee to a much lower level and he was surprised to hear that all five sounds that the Gursikh had mentioned could be heard at different levels. Bhai Sahib has written that there was not even 1/millionth anand or bliss in these instrumental sounds as compared to the Gurmat Anhad Shabad. Bhai Sahib had never delved in these mystical realms since they were at a much lower level as compared to Gurmat Dasam Duar.

Bhai Sahib came out of smadhi and immediately went to that gursikh who had asked this question from Bhai Sahib and told him that he was totally engaged in wrong anti-Gurmat practices. Bhai Sahib narrated to him about his experience and told him that little bit of concentration that he had was a result of Siri Sukhmani Sahib paath and he started hearing those instrumental sounds. Bhai Sahib said that these spiritual realms were lower than the lofty spiritual realms of Gurmat. Bhai Sahib told him that Gurmat Anhad Shabad is way superior to the 5 so called Anhad Shabads.

From this saakhi of Bhai Sahib we learn that these five shabads that Radhasoamis talk about do exist but they are not attained by the way they work in it. Actually these five shabads are the invention or discovery of Yogis and RS has just adopted their theory. Gurmat does not believe in limited 5 shabads. Panch Shabad in Gurbani does not mean 5 Shabad but Panch means superior or greatest shabads. Gurmat believes in “Vajae Shabad Ghanaray” i.e. countless shabads and not only 5.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee. The above is based on Bhai Sahib's book - Anhad Shabad Dasam Duaar.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

• 2 years later...

Khalsa Ji what's the Gurmat way of practicing naam?

The above confirms where your dhian should be !!

By doing some sukhmani and focusing on the dot is NOT gurmat.

By putting all your focus in the paath or naam simran is the real focus.

We get many distractions, visions, sounds, feelings of sensation over the body at different stages of simran/meditation.

All of these should not let us take our main focus off the naam simran.

I like to see them as distractions, because that is what they do.

It is ALL too easy to lose your dhian off and away from waheguru when confronted with these and vibrations etc...

I see them as 'tests' on your dhian from waheguru. The best way to acknowledge them is to just reassure yourself that you are doing naam simran correctly, because alot of the time people are unsure if they are doing it properly!

Guest dasguruka

The above confirms where your dhian should be !!

By doing some sukhmani and focusing on the dot is NOT gurmat.

By putting all your focus in the paath or naam simran is the real focus.

We get many distractions, visions, sounds, feelings of sensation over the body at different stages of simran/meditation.

All of these should not let us take our main focus off the naam simran.

I like to see them as distractions, because that is what they do.

It is ALL too easy to lose your dhian off and away from waheguru when confronted with these and vibrations etc...

I see them as 'tests' on your dhian from waheguru. The best way to acknowledge them is to just reassure yourself that you are doing naam simran correctly, because alot of the time people are unsure if they are doing it properly!

Khalsa Ji, thats why I'm asking what's the correct way to do Naam Simran accroding to Bhai Sahib?

Your Focus or dhian should be on HIM- On the EK waheguru.

Not on anything else.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about putting your dhian on ??

Everyone has their own method of practicing. Personally, I think it's easier to first 'blank' and empty your mind completely.

Do this by focusing on the 'Nothingness'

This 'nothingness' will then become the everything.-the HIM, as he is ALL.

Then your focus will be on nothing else but the true lord by whatever name or gurmantar you use.

The idea is to keep and maintain this dhian on him, whilst your body will respond with changes of sensation as time goes on, but you should try to feel 'detached' from your sareer or thann.

You can use breathing techniques or mala..etc.. if it helps you focus your dhian- as that doesn't matter as long as you get to that state.

Guest dasguruka

Your Focus or dhian should be on HIM- On the EK waheguru.

Not on anything else.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about putting your dhian on ??

Everyone has their own method of practicing. Personally, I think it's easier to first 'blank' and empty your mind completely.

Do this by focusing on the 'Nothingness'

This 'nothingness' will then become the everything.-the HIM, as he is ALL.

Then your focus will be on nothing else but the true lord by whatever name or gurmantar you use.

The idea is to keep and maintain this dhian on him, whilst your body will respond with changes of sensation as time goes on, but you should try to feel 'detached' from your sareer or thann.

You can use breathing techniques or mala..etc.. if it helps you focus your dhian- as that doesn't matter as long as you get to that state.

Gotcha!

The dhian (focus) should be on the dhuni (sound) of gurmantar. This is the Gurmat method of naam simran.

We should not concentrate our mind on some imaginary sound, pictures or letters. Just japp naam with the rasna (Tongue) and listen to the dhuni. Over time everything will fall on place.

We do not focus on "nothingness" in Gurmat. Instead we let our mind be attached to Akaalpurakh by reciting naam.

The dhian (focus) should be on the dhuni (sound) of gurmantar. This is the Gurmat method of naam simran.

We should not concentrate our mind on some imaginary sound, pictures or letters. Just japp naam with the rasna (Tongue) and listen to the dhuni. Over time everything will fall on place.

We do not focus on "nothingness" in Gurmat. Instead we let our mind be attached to Akaalpurakh by reciting naam.

Concentrating on the sound is the first stage of simran.

After when one starts to do mental simran or manas stage, then there is only the vibration within, however one will still hear the recitation within their mind.

I have known some people that find it difficult to move onto the mental stage because they have been focusing on just the physical sound at the first stage.-

Therefore, I think it's better to advise people not to focus on sounds but feel the vibration within and the mental recitation.

I'm not sure how gurmat simran can be defined as focusing on sound only !

In practice when one advances with time, then the initial stage of tongue movement and physical sound gets shorter and shorter because one can progress to mental simran in a faster and shorter time.

Focusing on 'nothingness' is a personal tip to help one clear the clutter in their mind first- It is not anti-gurmat or manmatt in any way.

I think it becomes easier for one to first start by focusing on this nothingness or void and then bring in only the dhian and thoughts of ONE Akaalpurakh.

With practice one should see that the purest and Only thing in this ' nothingness' is the true Lord.

Like I say, I find this a helpful technique into helping me focus on the ONE without any mind clutter or thoughts going elsewhere.

Afterall, before creation, there was just a void of nothingness and Akaal purakh only.

In this manner, one soon realises that this very 'nothingness' is infact everything that is pure and One.

"I'm not sure how gurmat simran can be defined as focusing on sound only !"

Ang 943:

Shabad Guru, Surat Dhun Chela<

In Gurbani quoted above, Guru Nanak Dev jee is giving the updesh (lesson) that Shabad (Naam) is Guru and the Surat is the disciple of the Dhuni of the Guru (Naam). Here is clear bachan from Gurbani advising us to focus our surat (concentration/focus) on the dhuni (sound) of Gurmantar (Naam given by Panj Pyare at Amrit Sanchar). Here Guru Sahib has used the example of Guru and disciple (chela) for Naam and Surat.

In Jap jee Sahib bani that we recite daily, there comes the suneeai paurees i.e. suneeai sidh peer sun nath, suneeai dharat dhaval aakaash......

These paurees are indicating the importance of listening to and the rewards of listening to Naam.

Listening to the dhuni of Naam is sanctioned by Gurmat and many Gurmukh piare of high avastha.

Along with listening to the dhuni (sound) of naam, we must also have pyaar (love) and faith. We must japp naam with pyaar and faith.

I cannot recall any Gurmukhs advising focusing on a "void" or "nothingness" nor do I think Gurbani sanctions this. Rather daas would advise controlling the mind by blocking all other thoughts other than Naam and Gurbani entering the mind. One should make an effort to block external thoughts entering the mind during simran/paath.

A Gurmukh is forever in union with Parmeshar than how can their mind be "empty". Rather their mind is imbued in Naam and Gurbani.

Daas has read and heard about advanced stages in which naam is heard in the hirdai (heart) and naabhi (navel). However we should not try and focus our minds on these regions. It is best to japp naam with rasna (tongue) and listen to the dhuni. From this base everything else will happen automatically. We must learn to walk before we can run. The advanced stages of naam have been reached by first doing extensive and intense Naam Simran with rasna.

Also we can employ our surat to listen to naam internally, this is not an advanced stage but is important as we must also recite naam internally because it not always possible to japp naam in audible manner.

Bhul Chuk Maaf jee.

"I'm not sure how gurmat simran can be defined as focusing on sound only !"

Ang 943:

Shabad Guru, Surat Dhun Chela<

In Gurbani quoted above, Guru Nanak Dev jee is giving the updesh (lesson) that Shabad (Naam) is Guru and the Surat is the disciple of the Dhuni of the Guru (Naam). Here is clear bachan from Gurbani advising us to focus our surat (concentration/focus) on the dhuni (sound) of Gurmantar (Naam given by Panj Pyare at Amrit Sanchar). Here Guru Sahib has used the example of Guru and disciple (chela) for Naam and Surat.

In Jap jee Sahib bani that we recite daily, there comes the suneeai paurees i.e. suneeai sidh peer sun nath, suneeai dharat dhaval aakaash......

These paurees are indicating the importance of listening to and the rewards of listening to Naam.

Listening to the dhuni of Naam is sanctioned by Gurmat and many Gurmukh piare of high avastha.

Along with listening to the dhuni (sound) of naam, we must also have pyaar (love) and faith. We must japp naam with pyaar and faith.

I cannot recall any Gurmukhs advising focusing on a "void" or "nothingness" nor do I think Gurbani sanctions this. Rather daas would advise controlling the mind by blocking all other thoughts other than Naam and Gurbani entering the mind. One should make an effort to block external thoughts entering the mind during simran/paath.

A Gurmukh is forever in union with Parmeshar than how can their mind be "empty". Rather their mind is imbued in Naam and Gurbani.

Daas has read and heard about advanced stages in which naam is heard in the hirdai (heart) and naabhi (navel). However we should not try and focus our minds on these regions. It is best to japp naam with rasna (tongue) and listen to the dhuni. From this base everything else will happen automatically. We must learn to walk before we can run. The advanced stages of naam have been reached by first doing extensive and intense Naam Simran with rasna.

Also we can employ our surat to listen to naam internally, this is not an advanced stage but is important as we must also recite naam internally because it not always possible to japp naam in audible manner.

Bhul Chuk Maaf jee.

What a fantastic post Osingh Jee.

I think you have captured everything in your post. I just wanted to add that along with listening to dhuni with pyar and faith one must do ardas to Guru Sahib to do kirpa and bless us with surtee and dhian.

Our job is simply to Jap Naam and if we do so with faith Guru Sahib will surely bless us with Naam Di Daat.