Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scooter

Is Listening To Music Bad For Gurskih

38 posts in this topic

I know that if i listen to hindi songs , which contains vulgar language and video , is bad , because it disturbs mind in wrong direction. but what about relaxing muisc or instrumental music. Somethin like english trance music or meditational music. If feel so much relaxed and get lost in deep state when i listen to some of music.

I don't know what is it but mind straight away go to deepest state, my eyes gets closed and looks like i am lost in deep inner journey. No matter how much i am doing work but if i listen then i simply get detached from world

is that thing bad for gurskih

Guru ji taught us that we don't need to live in the jungles in order to find god. Therefore, as pointed out by 'consciousness', that things are bad if you decide to take the negative. You can live in a bad area but can have positive impact if you decide you are going to be good.

So, if you find it good for yourself and your spiritual well being then nothing wrong with it. Dhanna found god in a stone, remember.

Instrumental music is wonderful, especially if you feel uncomfortable listening to lyrics which are....lets say not conducive to being a Sikh, lol.

I've been listening to some of this guy's work for the past decade or so. Some of his stuff is so spiritually uplifting.

Many say give up the world and you will realize Sri Vaheguru ji Maharaj. Guru Sahib says sing, listen, read his praises 24/7 (Gurbani) to realize Sri Vaheguru ji Maharaj. When a person get's to higher states many forms of subtle maya (ego) comes in front. One of them is that we start saying i can make up my own praise of Maharaj and sing it all day. It relaxing, takes us to deeper states, but it's missing Guru's Grace, the most important thing in the world. Gursikhs tell us to memorize Gurbani and once we do, then throughout the day we can take incidents happening before our eyes through singing a Shabad that apply's, instead of letting the mind speak what it thinks of the incident. Now depending on our jeevan, everyone will see the incident differently and sing a different Shabad. A mother holding her child with love could bring a shabad to the mind that tells us the world will not go along with you in the end, you fool focus on the Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj or it can bring forward a Shabad that tells us that Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj is the care giver of all sing his praise with love. Both ways of looking at the incident is Gurmat as the Shabad Guru is what the person is using to see the world, but what about instrumental music would it do the same? Gursikhs love Shabad Guru and are attached to Shabad Guru so they sing, listen, and read Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj true praise all day.

The most difficult part is to stop the mind (ego, anger, greed, attachment, lust) from speaking in our daily lives. If we had Gurbani memorized then like a doctor uses his medical teaching to cure the sick, Gurbani will cure the disease that doesn't let us see Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj Hukam in every incident taking place in the world.

Songs are most definetly a no no, as for instrumental, I don't suppose they are bad as such but why bother wasting time with them when we will gain real benefit from gurbani keertan? The peace or good feeling gained from worldly music is just something that entertains the mind, it does nothing for the soul, so this peace will never be permanent. Only gurbani can give us true and everlasting peace, happiness, and anand and this is far greater than anything seemingly gained from any other source.

Songs are most definetly a no no, as for instrumental, I don't suppose they are bad as such but why bother wasting time with them when we will gain real benefit from gurbani keertan? The peace or good feeling gained from worldly music is just something that entertains the mind, it does nothing for the soul, so this peace will never be permanent. Only gurbani can give us true and everlasting peace, happiness, and anand and this is far greater than anything seemingly gained from any other source.

Spot on!

ਮੇਰੇ ਮੋਹਨ ਸ੍ਰਵਨੀ ਇਹ ਨ ਸੁਨਾਏ || ਸਾਕਤ ਗੀਤ ਨਾਦੁ ਧੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਤ ਬੋਲਤ ਬੋਲ ਅਜਾਏ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਓੁ ||

maerae mohan sravanee eih n sunaaeae | saakath geeth naadh dhun gaavath bolath bol ajaaeae |1| rehaao |

O my fascinating Lord, let me not listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

Only gurbani can give us true and everlasting peace, happiness, and anand and this is far greater than anything seemingly gained from any other source

I know its truth but frankly guys , i listen to gurbani every day but i could not find peace , happiness , anand in it. I listen because i know its the only thing important in life. But when u talk about anand , happiness , i am lost. Did u guys found true happiness , anand while listening Gurbani??

I listen to kirtans by Bhai harjinder singh ji , joginder Singh riar etc. but sometimes when ssame shabad is sung by other ragi then i don't feel like listening. So it means i am only attached to the tune of it.So is that the case always or i am doing something wrong

I know its truth but frankly guys , i listen to gurbani every day but i could not find peace , happiness , anand in it. I listen because i know its the only thing important in life. But when u talk about anand , happiness , i am lost. Did u guys found true happiness , anand while listening Gurbani??

I listen to kirtans by Bhai harjinder singh ji , joginder Singh riar etc. but sometimes when ssame shabad is sung by other ragi then i don't feel like listening. So it means i am only attached to the tune of it.So is that the case always or i am doing something wrong

So now you should look up the shabad which the ragi is doing kirtan of to find what the Guru is saying to you. Then contemplate over it and start practicing it. Even at deeper or lower levels of spirtuality when we don't know the meaning of the shabad, we get Anand from listening to the Shabad without being attached to the tune. The secret behind recieving Anand is to let go of the personal desires ( I wants and I know) when listening to kirtan or paat and say i don't know anything and i am looking to know what to do,so i can recieve your kirpa. Many times, if not always, we sit down to listen to kirtan or paat where the mind says i know i am to follow truth, honest living, give to charity, etc, and know what to stay away from, so tell me what else can i do. This is where we go with our ego inflated and because of it we don't hear the deeper understanding of Gurbani. Which is another reason why many stop learning and start stating what we can and can't do. In other words when people make up their own Rehat Maryada. Always go in with i don't know anything and you'll come out with less of an ego. Also another problem we have is, that we don't really understand that only God exist. We have attachments to many things in life and because of it, we don't feel the need or desire to have Guru Sahib as our protector, provider, and love of our life. Always go in with saying i don't have any support in my life expect for you Maharaj, without you i am completely lonely in this universe. It is a hopeless feeling, but when Gurbani starts to play or you start reading Gurbani, then all anxieties disappear and a deeper love for Gurbani develops in you.

'tunes' as such, are wrong only if u cant jup naam to it, and if it scatters ur mat / surti / mind. guru ji has approved raag, as, with raag, ur surti can 'tik' . >raag naad subh, such hai; keenat kehi na jaae...<< . with instrumental music, the same can happen. however, where it actually settels, is a different story because, if it settles in the rong place, as in, anythng other than god (the definitonof maya), then it is not for us.. i listen to Bach and duets of violins etc.. its amazing. have been told it has the potential to start ur simran.

simply, anything that connects u, izzzzz gooood :D and all else, is khup shup :) aka the word >ajaae< in >>ਮੇਰੇ ਮੋਹਨ ਸ੍ਰਵਨੀ ਇਹ ਨ ਸੁਨਾਏ || ਸਾਕਤ ਗੀਤ ਨਾਦੁ ਧੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਤ ਬੋਲਤ ਬੋਲ ਅਜਾਏ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਓੁ ||<<

gurfateh!

Some of you guys have really lost the plot! Absolutely fanatical, can't believe it really. Lost for words.

^^ as in, people saying.. "..anything that aint keertan is bad.." ???????

what is your take on this topic?

^^ as in, people saying.. "..anything that aint keertan is bad.." ???????

what is your take on this topic?

Yeah.

First answer explains your second question, I'm sorry but I don't want to get involved in this topic too deep so I won't go into depth (haven't got too much time on my hands at the moment)

keeertan is the way. theres just lots of ways that u can go about it. about doing keertan. : )

Vaheguru Jee...

Please forgive me for anything that offends anyone.

I generally believe that it depends on what you are listening to....if it is just plain music which relaxes you or likewise then personally I believe there is no harm in listening to that at all to be honest.

However if listening to music involves listening to songs then that is another distraction which will only stray you away from simran. This is because the majority of the songs have lyrics which will only enhance and cause the mind to wonder even more than it already wonders as the lyrics are angry,lustful etc....Im sure you catch my drift.

Keertan,gurbani and simran is the way....leave all these songs behind and know that this isnt going to take you anywhere but is just another distraction in the wordl that we live in....

Guru Arjun Dev Jee says:

O my fascinating Lord, may I never listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

A rehatnama by Bhai Nand Laal Jee mentions:

Those who listen to dirty lyrics and lustful tunes with attention, listen Nand Lal Jee, they will be punished by the angel of death.;

We should remember that whatever time we have, we should use it wisely and be careful of how we use it....the mind already wonders but fuelling it even more isn't going to help and things like songs only fuel that....at the end of the day every breath is being counted....so we must use our time here wisely

Bhull Chuk Maaf Jee

Some of you guys have really lost the plot! Absolutely fanatical, can't believe it really. Lost for words.

Yeah.

First answer explains your second question, I'm sorry but I don't want to get involved in this topic too deep so I won't go into depth (haven't got too much time on my hands at the moment)

Sorry friend, this khullaa dullaa verson of Sikhi practiced today by so-called modern/urban Sikhs is what has caused so much damage and confusion. Need to keep it simple and disciplined, like it was back in the good old days when we were genuinely 1 = 125,000.

Sorry friend, this khullaa dullaa verson of Sikhi practiced today by so-called modern/urban Sikhs is what has caused so much damage and confusion. Need to keep it simple and disciplined, like it was back in the good old days when we were genuinely 1 = 125,000.

Sikhi is not dogmatic, like how many so called know it alls (not necessarily you) make it out to be. That's what makes it beautiful and unique. Anyway, I'm not saying you should listen to what ever you want, obviously there has to be limits. For example, hardcore gangster rap is obviously a no no. But what gets to me is when you lot say anything but kirtan is off limits. That's where it becomes pretty extreme and quite frankly, silly. It depends on what is being said in the song, the level of spirituality of the listener and the intentions to listen to it. Every case is different. Things are not black and white at all.

Read my above post

Sikhi is not dogmatic, like how many so called know it alls (not necessarily you) make it out to be. That's what makes it beautiful and unique.

Anyway, I'm not saying you should listen to what ever you want, obviously there has to be limits. For example, hardcore gangster rap is obviously a no no. But what gets to me is when you lot say anything but kirtan is off limits. That's where it becomes pretty extreme and quite frankly, silly. It depends on what is being said in the song, the level of spirituality of the listener and the intentions to listen to it. Every case is different. Things are not black and white at all.

Why do you call it dogma (rule that you don't like, if you liked it then you wouldn't have spoken against it) when another calls it following Satguru's Hukam (Pyare). The poster above you has given a Shabad that tells us exactly waht not to do and what to do. YOu see this as dogma. We all don't have enough pyare for Maharaj, but when you refer to it as dogma, then you reveal something of your jeevan. YOu seriously lack a deeper pyare for Maharaj. A husband and wife get tried sometimes from listening to their spouse talk, when they have been married for a long time. Then they go find some quiet time alone or find a activity (chilling with the boys) to do that get's them far away from their spouse. When we say i can listen to the faithless cynic, then we are utlimately saying, Maharaj I am tried of listening to/reading Gurbani in katha, kirtan, Dhadhi, paat form. So I need a break. Some take a couple hour break and some take a day break and the really unfortunate souls take year or many life time breaks. Essentially, Gurbani doesn't give us a feeling of contentment (we lack the ability to understand Gurbani). Have you ever seen a dog filled with love for his owner, where the dog can't control himself and is jumping allover the owner. But when the owner leaves the dog is alright for a bit, but then completely gets depressed because his owner isn't there with him. Another can come, but the dog lays in the same position depressed and sings his owners praises all day, wishing the owner will come back. But as soon as the owner comes back the dog regains all it's energy and is a completely different dog.

Gurbani tells us to do paat 24/7. You see this as dogma, but a Gursikh see's this as being in love. Just like you don't tell yourself to breath and your body is in love with the breath. Gursikhs don't have to force the 24/7 pyare for Maharaj. Just like how the fish can't live without water for a second, a Sikh can't live without Gurbani for a second. Gurbani gives us the metaphor how a bride longs for her husband to come back home and can't live without him. Another person or a group of friends can come to the house, but the bride is still waiting for her husband and the feeling of separation is not departing. In the same way we need to develop the pyare for Maharaj. When the husband comes home, then the bride is filled with joy and content. This bride will not search else where for love and Satguru tells us we need to learn from this and love Maharaj this way.

Read my above post

Read it and this is the message Maharaj is giving us

AiBmwnu Koie Koie Koie KoeI hau mo kau siqgur mMqRü idRVwey ]3] abhimaan khoe khoe khoe khoee ho mo ko sathigur ma(n)thra dhrirraaeae ||3|| I have destroyed, destroyed, destroyed my pride, since the True Guru implanted His Mantra within me. ||3||

This line is from the shabad the above poster from your post pasted a link too.

Sikhi is not dogmatic, like how many so called know it alls (not necessarily you) make it out to be. That's what makes it beautiful and unique. Anyway, I'm not saying you should listen to what ever you want, obviously there has to be limits. For example, hardcore gangster rap is obviously a no no. But what gets to me is when you lot say anything but kirtan is off limits. That's where it becomes pretty extreme and quite frankly, silly. It depends on what is being said in the song, the level of spirituality of the listener and the intentions to listen to it. Every case is different. Things are not black and white at all.
Fair enough and valid points, thus well taken. Now here is an open challenge. Listen to nothing but keertan for the next 1 month. Come back a month later and try listening to anything else and honestly confess if you didn't feel like puking. If you do, you've got your answer, if you don't, you'd still know what rocks your boat.

Just curious...to the people who say that anything but Kirtan is wrong..do you ever watch TV or movies? How about reading the newspaper or surfing the web for non-Gurbani related things (funny pictures, interesting articles etc.) Would that be considered wrong too?

Why do you call it dogma (rule that you don't like, if you liked it then you wouldn't have spoken against it) when another calls it following Satguru's Hukam (Pyare). The poster above you has given a Shabad that tells us exactly waht not to do and what to do. YOu see this as dogma. We all don't have enough pyare for Maharaj, but when you refer to it as dogma, then you reveal something of your jeevan. YOu seriously lack a deeper pyare for Maharaj. A husband and wife get tried sometimes from listening to their spouse talk, when they have been married for a long time. Then they go find some quiet time alone or find a activity (chilling with the boys) to do that get's them far away from their spouse. When we say i can listen to the faithless cynic, then we are utlimately saying, Maharaj I am tried of listening to/reading Gurbani in katha, kirtan, Dhadhi, paat form. So I need a break. Some take a couple hour break and some take a day break and the really unfortunate souls take year or many life time breaks. Essentially, Gurbani doesn't give us a feeling of contentment (we lack the ability to understand Gurbani). Have you ever seen a dog filled with love for his owner, where the dog can't control himself and is jumping allover the owner. But when the owner leaves the dog is alright for a bit, but then completely gets depressed because his owner isn't there with him. Another can come, but the dog lays in the same position depressed and sings his owners praises all day, wishing the owner will come back. But as soon as the owner comes back the dog regains all it's energy and is a completely different dog.

Gurbani tells us to do paat 24/7. You see this as dogma, but a Gursikh see's this as being in love. Just like you don't tell yourself to breath and your body is in love with the breath. Gursikhs don't have to force the 24/7 pyare for Maharaj. Just like how the fish can't live without water for a second, a Sikh can't live without Gurbani for a second. Gurbani gives us the metaphor how a bride longs for her husband to come back home and can't live without him. Another person or a group of friends can come to the house, but the bride is still waiting for her husband and the feeling of separation is not departing. In the same way we need to develop the pyare for Maharaj. When the husband comes home, then the bride is filled with joy and content. This bride will not search else where for love and Satguru tells us we need to learn from this and love Maharaj this way.

Read it and this is the message Maharaj is giving us

AiBmwnu Koie Koie Koie KoeI hau mo kau siqgur mMqRü idRVwey ]3] abhimaan khoe khoe khoe khoee ho mo ko sathigur ma(n)thra dhrirraaeae ||3|| I have destroyed, destroyed, destroyed my pride, since the True Guru implanted His Mantra within me. ||3||

This line is from the shabad the above poster from your post pasted a link too.

Only Five, <edited> That shabad, you have taken out of context. A faithless cynic is one who does not believe in God and bangs on about and glorifies maya in their lyrics. Of course it is not good to listen to their songs. Read my post again you, that's exactly what I said!

However, there are songs and artists out there which talk about things in life and deep things too, and these artists believe in God. They are not faithless cynics! People who can relate to that, you're still telling me they can't listen to that music?

Like Akal Warrior says, don't you let your kids or yourself or whoever listen to the news, watch moderate tv, read the newspaper etc? Because if you do, then you are a hypocrite. <edited>.

Edited by Mehtab Singh
Refrain from personal attacks. If you guys cannot engage in a civilized discussion, don't bother to post. Trust me, we do NOT miss rude mouths on here.

Just curious...to the people who say that anything but Kirtan is wrong..do you ever watch TV or movies? How about reading the newspaper or surfing the web for non-Gurbani related things (funny pictures, interesting articles etc.) Would that be considered wrong too?
Lets stay on topic. This topic was started only about music, not TV or news or researching stuff online. Please start a separate thread on that.

Only Five, <edited> That shabad, you have taken out of context. A faithless cynic is one who does not believe in God and bangs on about and glorifies maya in their lyrics. Of course it is not good to listen to their songs. Read my post again you, that's exactly what I said!

However, there are songs and artists out there which talk about things in life and deep things too, and these artists believe in God. They are not faithless cynics! People who can relate to that, you're still telling me they can't listen to that music?

Like Akal Warrior says, don't you let your kids or yourself or whoever listen to the news, watch moderate tv, read the newspaper etc? Because if you do, then you are a hypocrite. <edited>.

The problem here is you are speaking about relativity. You put forth the idea that the non-believer in God is worse than the guy who has some faith in God (Full faith would make him a Gurmukhs, which your artist clearly are not). The Shabad which was posted to you says both are faithless cynics. The non-believer is completely lost in ego and the other artist, song writer is lost in singing his own praises (I know this much about God so i am going to make a song about it). Some are completely faithless cynics and some are to a degree, but at the end we are all faithless cynics. Only Gurbani, Gurmukhs, Gursikhs are faithful. I agree with Mehtab Singh, you should listen to a month of kirtan and nothing else. The shabad that was posted to you also says the following:

rsnw Agh Agh gun rwqI nYn drs rMgu lwey ] rasanaa ageh ageh gun raathee nain dharas ra(n)g laaeae ||

My tongue is imbued with the Praises of the inaccessible and unfathomable Lord, and my eyes are drenched with the Blessed Vision of His Darshan.

The songs and artist that you say have faith in God, are they filled with faith to this level of praise of Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj? If you answer this question honestly, then you will understand what is meant by faithless cynic and what is meant by faithful.

Lastly, the idea that you need to compete with me or another to be referred as a better Sikh needs to be erased from your mind. You or Akal Warrior would not ask such question of do you watch tv, read newspaper, etc if you understood this Shabad. Seriously there is not limited space in Sachkhand, where you compete with another.