Is Listening To Music Bad For Gurskih

scooter

I know that if i listen to hindi songs , which contains vulgar language and video , is bad , because it disturbs mind in wrong direction. but what about relaxing muisc or instrumental music. Somethin like english trance music or meditational music. If feel so much relaxed and get lost in deep state when i listen to some of music.

I don't know what is it but mind straight away go to deepest state, my eyes gets closed and looks like i am lost in deep inner journey. No matter how much i am doing work but if i listen then i simply get detached from world

is that thing bad for gurskih

Guru ji taught us that we don't need to live in the jungles in order to find god. Therefore, as pointed out by 'consciousness', that things are bad if you decide to take the negative. You can live in a bad area but can have positive impact if you decide you are going to be good.

So, if you find it good for yourself and your spiritual well being then nothing wrong with it. Dhanna found god in a stone, remember.

Many say give up the world and you will realize Sri Vaheguru ji Maharaj. Guru Sahib says sing, listen, read his praises 24/7 (Gurbani) to realize Sri Vaheguru ji Maharaj. When a person get's to higher states many forms of subtle maya (ego) comes in front. One of them is that we start saying i can make up my own praise of Maharaj and sing it all day. It relaxing, takes us to deeper states, but it's missing Guru's Grace, the most important thing in the world. Gursikhs tell us to memorize Gurbani and once we do, then throughout the day we can take incidents happening before our eyes through singing a Shabad that apply's, instead of letting the mind speak what it thinks of the incident. Now depending on our jeevan, everyone will see the incident differently and sing a different Shabad. A mother holding her child with love could bring a shabad to the mind that tells us the world will not go along with you in the end, you fool focus on the Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj or it can bring forward a Shabad that tells us that Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj is the care giver of all sing his praise with love. Both ways of looking at the incident is Gurmat as the Shabad Guru is what the person is using to see the world, but what about instrumental music would it do the same? Gursikhs love Shabad Guru and are attached to Shabad Guru so they sing, listen, and read Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj true praise all day.

The most difficult part is to stop the mind (ego, anger, greed, attachment, lust) from speaking in our daily lives. If we had Gurbani memorized then like a doctor uses his medical teaching to cure the sick, Gurbani will cure the disease that doesn't let us see Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj Hukam in every incident taking place in the world.

Songs are most definetly a no no, as for instrumental, I don't suppose they are bad as such but why bother wasting time with them when we will gain real benefit from gurbani keertan? The peace or good feeling gained from worldly music is just something that entertains the mind, it does nothing for the soul, so this peace will never be permanent. Only gurbani can give us true and everlasting peace, happiness, and anand and this is far greater than anything seemingly gained from any other source.

Songs are most definetly a no no, as for instrumental, I don't suppose they are bad as such but why bother wasting time with them when we will gain real benefit from gurbani keertan? The peace or good feeling gained from worldly music is just something that entertains the mind, it does nothing for the soul, so this peace will never be permanent. Only gurbani can give us true and everlasting peace, happiness, and anand and this is far greater than anything seemingly gained from any other source.

Spot on!

ਮੇਰੇ ਮੋਹਨ ਸ੍ਰਵਨੀ ਇਹ ਨ ਸੁਨਾਏ || ਸਾਕਤ ਗੀਤ ਨਾਦੁ ਧੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਤ ਬੋਲਤ ਬੋਲ ਅਜਾਏ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਓੁ ||

maerae mohan sravanee eih n sunaaeae | saakath geeth naadh dhun gaavath bolath bol ajaaeae |1| rehaao |

O my fascinating Lord, let me not listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

Only gurbani can give us true and everlasting peace, happiness, and anand and this is far greater than anything seemingly gained from any other source

I know its truth but frankly guys , i listen to gurbani every day but i could not find peace , happiness , anand in it. I listen because i know its the only thing important in life. But when u talk about anand , happiness , i am lost. Did u guys found true happiness , anand while listening Gurbani??

I listen to kirtans by Bhai harjinder singh ji , joginder Singh riar etc. but sometimes when ssame shabad is sung by other ragi then i don't feel like listening. So it means i am only attached to the tune of it.So is that the case always or i am doing something wrong

I know its truth but frankly guys , i listen to gurbani every day but i could not find peace , happiness , anand in it. I listen because i know its the only thing important in life. But when u talk about anand , happiness , i am lost. Did u guys found true happiness , anand while listening Gurbani??

I listen to kirtans by Bhai harjinder singh ji , joginder Singh riar etc. but sometimes when ssame shabad is sung by other ragi then i don't feel like listening. So it means i am only attached to the tune of it.So is that the case always or i am doing something wrong

So now you should look up the shabad which the ragi is doing kirtan of to find what the Guru is saying to you. Then contemplate over it and start practicing it. Even at deeper or lower levels of spirtuality when we don't know the meaning of the shabad, we get Anand from listening to the Shabad without being attached to the tune. The secret behind recieving Anand is to let go of the personal desires ( I wants and I know) when listening to kirtan or paat and say i don't know anything and i am looking to know what to do,so i can recieve your kirpa. Many times, if not always, we sit down to listen to kirtan or paat where the mind says i know i am to follow truth, honest living, give to charity, etc, and know what to stay away from, so tell me what else can i do. This is where we go with our ego inflated and because of it we don't hear the deeper understanding of Gurbani. Which is another reason why many stop learning and start stating what we can and can't do. In other words when people make up their own Rehat Maryada. Always go in with i don't know anything and you'll come out with less of an ego. Also another problem we have is, that we don't really understand that only God exist. We have attachments to many things in life and because of it, we don't feel the need or desire to have Guru Sahib as our protector, provider, and love of our life. Always go in with saying i don't have any support in my life expect for you Maharaj, without you i am completely lonely in this universe. It is a hopeless feeling, but when Gurbani starts to play or you start reading Gurbani, then all anxieties disappear and a deeper love for Gurbani develops in you.

'tunes' as such, are wrong only if u cant jup naam to it, and if it scatters ur mat / surti / mind. guru ji has approved raag, as, with raag, ur surti can 'tik' . >raag naad subh, such hai; keenat kehi na jaae...<< . with instrumental music, the same can happen. however, where it actually settels, is a different story because, if it settles in the rong place, as in, anythng other than god (the definitonof maya), then it is not for us.. i listen to Bach and duets of violins etc.. its amazing. have been told it has the potential to start ur simran.

simply, anything that connects u, izzzzz gooood :D and all else, is khup shup :) aka the word >ajaae< in >>ਮੇਰੇ ਮੋਹਨ ਸ੍ਰਵਨੀ ਇਹ ਨ ਸੁਨਾਏ || ਸਾਕਤ ਗੀਤ ਨਾਦੁ ਧੁਨਿ ਗਾਵਤ ਬੋਲਤ ਬੋਲ ਅਜਾਏ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਓੁ ||<<

gurfateh!