Best Areas In West Midlands

Guest Gupt

There is not a lot of sangat where I live, my family and I were thinking of relocating to the West Midlands. In what areas can you get the best quality of life? i.e. Low crime areas, good houses, good schools etc

We want to live in a place from which we could travel to all the various programs that happen, but at the same time like above need the area to be good.

Would appreciate any help! thanks

i live near wolverhampton, most parts are nice i.e. goldthorn park, sedgmoor park, finichfield, then mroe expensive end is tettenhall, u can travel to most programs by car which tend to be towards smethwick way. schools on wton are ok, but if u want to go to the best ones u may need to use bus . hope this helps. for crime check out www.police.uk

There is crime in all areas all over the UK, however in terms of the midlands i would say handsworth has a lot of crime around

some parts of that area, people getting robbed. Smethwick, west Bromwich are good places to live with good transport links and a

a lot of sikhs live here. Wolverhampton some parts may be good but its a city id keep out the cities like wolves/bham and keep within

a nice small area.

Guest original poster

thanks guys, what are sutton coldfield and solihull like? what sort of people live there and how easy is it to get from them to the the sikhi programs in places soho road, smethwick, coventry, west bromwich, etc?

It really depends on two things,

House prices? Children - schools, and what type of house your looking for

How far are you willing to travel to get to main sikh areas?

And also do you want to live in a nice quiet area and travel 20mins or 30 mins to a event on average or live in main sikh area and have too much chaos

If you answer them it will help.

Areas of sutton coldfield, great barr are good, parts of walsall are good and same goes for wolves. Smethwick is over populated and the schools are not the best.

Each area has its benefits, and within an area there are good parts and bad. Smethwick e.g has a big sikh population however its crime ratea and housing may not be the best, likewise parts of handsworth have very nice housing and schools but again parts have a very high crime rate. It depends on what you are willing to sacrifice. Its best if you come and see the areas yourself depending on your budget

It really depends on two things,

House prices? Children - schools, and what type of house your looking for

How far are you willing to travel to get to main sikh areas?

And also do you want to live in a nice quiet area and travel 20mins or 30 mins to a event on average or live in main sikh area and have too much chaos

If you answer them it will help.

Yeah, we are mostly looking for something quiet outside of the main areas that is travelable. I suppose in terms of driving to sikh events 30-40 mins is ok, but the thing is unlike london where we currently are, there is no tube (london underground) in the midlands, so places which take 30 mins in the car take over 2 hours with public transport! Which is a bit annoying as you may not want to always drive.

Ideally, it would be great to get a house near a sikh school such as nishkam school OR near very good non-sikh schools, or good private schools (thinking about for when I get married and have children, guru sahib willing).

We're looking for a nice big house, good quality, after living in london it would be nice to have a bit more space, but not comprimising a good, quiet area. Budget is around 350 to 400 k.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help :)

You need to think about this move more carefully Gupt. Its all very well being able to live in a much bigger house at a much cheaper price but....the future is not you....The future is your children. Think about them. You bring your children up in the midlands and they'll grow up with an English language accent that will never, in a million years, gain them positions of respect and authority outside of the west midlands. You'll be condemming them to a life of ridicule. And, as is often seem from english language discussions on the Sikh Channel, they will probably grow up speaking a standard and command of English and its pronounciation that is 2 levels lower than that of an educated immigrant to this country. Stay in London fella. Think of the children.