New Sikh TV channel launching in January 2013 on Sky UK

SikhWorldTv

You certainly are on the right track. Your link there shows that on the 11th of November the directors of Akal TV officialy changed their name from Akal TV to 'Sikh TV'. And now your latest link (above this message) shows Akal TV telling the world they have nothing to do with any 'Sikh TV' and are, in fact, Akal TV. I'm no expert in these matters but if I didn't want people to call me Mr Sikh TV I certainly wouldn't change my name by deed poll to Mr Sikh TV.

See this is how it works. We're famous for being a rather uneducated and lethargic community. India and the Punjab govt are extremely concerned with the growing power and influence, and anti-India rhetoric of the 2 Sikh channels in the UK. Not being silly people, they realise the only way to stop this is to set up their own counter Sikh channel in the UK. They realise that as long as it is funded well by them, thus not requiring funds from the sangat, the UK Sikhs will stop watrching the Sikh Channel and Sangat TV and watch them instead. It looks as though there will be quality programming on the channel given the financial resources available and having the SGPC in Amritsar as a partner suggests to me that it will be a puppet controlled by the Badals.

Now...of course, everything I just said is simply speculation but it shows you how easy it will be for India and Punjab to destroy all the good work that's been done in the last few years. If we were even slightly bright we would find out about this new channel before it starts. That way, if need be, we can stop it from even starting. Once it starts, there is nothing that could be done. The propaganda onslaught would be too great to resist given the fact that the older sangat will of course tune in to the channel that has money behind it.

The financial accounts of the Director of the company shows that he has nothing more than £1000 invested in this channel. Someone somewhere...or some political entity.....is going to be funding this channel. Seriously we need to find out who and why before its too late.

http://akaalchannel.tv/ website has just been updated

Too many things about this new channel are confusing me. For one, why, last week, they officially changed their name at Companies House from Akal TV to Sikh TV ?

Secondly, who is going to fund it ?

Thirdly, has Mr Kooner from the sofa factory a track record of criticising India or supporting it ?

Fourthly, does the fact that it will be the official channel of the SGPC and the fact that Badal controls the SGPC mean that it is designed to break up the Sikh rights agenda built up by the Sikh Channel and Sangat TV ?

Fact is, there are 2 Sikh channels in the UK both of whom are begging for money to survive on a month by month basis. Unless this new channel is gonna be funded by anti-sikh rights elements in both Delhi and the Punjab government, I don't understand why a legitimate businessman would see it as a 'gap in the market'.

West London Singh,

Your analysis thus far is one I concur with. Sikh media-outlets are begging for money, I think the estimated cost to operate a channel on Sky in approx £50,000 per month. This has the hand of a powerful man/agency/organisation behind it. With the recession dragging on, if Akaal Channel requests for funding from the public, I can't see them digging their hands in their pockets again especially given the accounts of SikhTV haven't been made public after Gagandeep's departure from this world.

Already, we watch Sukhmani Sahib paath being read simultaneously on Sikh Channel and Sangat TV. I don't see the requirement for two channels, nevermind three!

Isn't this the same Mr Kooner who had that Sofa Factory advert on Sikh channel? The advert was reported to the Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) and they subsequently refered the matter to OfCom who fined Sikh Channel didn't they?

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/08/more-religious-censorship-from-advertising-watchdog

"Upholding the complaint, the ASA said: "We considered that the use of the central icon of the Sikh faith and the use and distortion of religious verses to advertise products made light of those important elements of the Sikh faith in a way that was likely to cause serious offence to some members of the Sikh community." "

Mr Kooner was no doubt ticked off from Sikh Channel and probably set up Akaal Channel. But, this surely can't be a one-man operation. I wonder whose hand is behind it?

• 5 months later...