Did Something Regrettable And Want To Check My Status As A Sikh

pepperjackcheese

go see 5 pyare and explain yourself. Or even Gurmukhs who do seva of 5 pyare and ask for their opinion.

That is indeed a suggestion better than most, but we need to remember where this guy is coming from...

Neither my parents nor I have taken Amrit, but we've always believed in Sikhism, and I always refer to it in my religion.

Going to the Panj Piaare would mean he would be getting pesh to take Amrit, and we're not sure if he is ready for it yet?

Just my opinion, although going to Panj Piaare should help in removing all doubts.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Go see the Punj Pyare and explain your situation to get it completely cleared up.

Historical reference: Dasam Patshah, to establish the supremacy of the Punj Pyare and establish the Maryada of not seeing any other authority superior to the Granth-Panth bowed one of his arrows in mock respect to a grave of a Muslim Saint. Guru Sahib was given a Tankah for this action, which he happily paid (due to his motivations as listed above).

http://www.worldgurudwaras.com/muktsar/gurudwara-theri-sahib

Thanks everyone, I'm doing a little better now. I think the best medicine is paath, which I've begun, and sewa at a gurudwara, hopefully soon. Thanks to everyone who responded. It's great to see that even though my curiosity has gotten me into trouble countless times, there are others who genuinely want to help me go on the right path.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sat Sri Akal,

I am in need of help and feeling very lost and alone right now. Ever since I was a child, I have gone to gurudwara on Sundays with my parents. Neither my parents nor I have taken Amrit, but we've always believed in Sikhism, and I always refer to it in my religion.

In recent years, I went to university and became distant from Sikhism. This is when my confusion and trouble started. I became too busy to go to gurudwara and started doing the wrong things. I became interested in Islam through my own when I started seeing how many people around me were Muslim. I watched lots of "dawah" or "shahada" videos on youtube and developed a strange fascination and began wondering what if I did the same. I should emphasize that I never believed the teachings of Islam and in every debate between Sikhishm and Islam, I've seen, I never felt that my dear Sikhism was any less than Islam. In fact, I have always considered it my religion and the truth. But today, I went to an Islam chat website and was connected to a girl. I was so curious to see her reaction that I volunteered to take shahada. I typed it back to her, but I never believed what I was typing. But now the deed is done, and I hope with every once of my body that I'm still a Sikh. This is the religion that is dear to my heart and although I lost it in recent years, it's still the one that I believe and want myself to belong to.

I am just looking for some reassurance and support that the shahada was not authentic and I'm still Sikh. I could never forgive myself for changing all because of a chat with a girl. Please reassure me that I'm Sikh or I truly won't have the will to live anymore.

Robin Singh

The best thing for you to do is to do ardaas... the ardas doesn't even have to be the formal one, just stand up and speak to Guru Sahib. All you have to say is that you forsake all other dharams, faiths, gurus, prophets and leaders and only take the sanctuary of Guru Sahib. You can say this to guroo sahib:

ਸ੍ਵੈਯਾ ॥

Swaiyaa

ਪਾਂਇ ਗਹੇ ਜਬ ਤੇ ਤੁਮਰੇ ਤਬ ਤੇ ਕੋਊ ਆਂਖ ਤਰੇ ਨਹੀ ਆਨਿਯੋ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਰਹੀਮ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਕੁਰਾਨ ਅਨੇਕ ਕਹੈਂ ਮਤਿ ਏਕ ਨ ਮਾਨਿਯੋ ॥

Paahe gahe jab te tumre tab te kou aankh tare nahi aanyo|| Raam Raheem Puraan Kuraan aneyk kahai mat eyk na maanyo||

O God ! the day when I caught hold of your feet, I do not bring anyone else under my sight; none other is liked by me now; the Puranas and the Quran try to know Thee by the names of Ram and Rahim and talk about you through several stories, but I do not accept any of their opinions;

ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬੇਦ ਸਭੈ ਬਹੁ ਭੇਦ ਕਹੈ ਹਮ ਏਕ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਯੋ ॥ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਸਿਪਾਨਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੁਮਰੀ ਕਰਿ ਮੈ ਨ ਕਹਿਯੋ ਸਭ ਤੋਹਿ ਬਖਾਨਿਯੋ ॥੮੬੩॥

Sinmrit Shaastra Bed sabhai bahu bhed kahai ham ek naa jaanyo|| Sri asipaan kripaa tumri kar mai na kahyo sabh tohe bakhaanyo||863||

The Simritis, Shastras and Vedas describe several mysteries of yours, but I do not agree with any of them. O sword-wielder God! This all has been described by Thy Grace, what power can I have to write all this? (863)

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥

Dohraa

ਸਗਲ ਦੁਆਰ ਕੋ ਛਾਡਿ ਕੈ ਗਹਿਯੋ ਤੁਹਾਰੋ ਦੁਆਰ ॥ ਬਾਂਹਿ ਗਹੇ ਕੀ ਲਾਜ ਅਸਿ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਦਾਸ ਤੁਹਾਰ ॥੮੬੪॥

Sagal duaar kau chhaad kai gahyo tuhaaro duaar|| Bahe gahe ki laaj as Gobind daas tuhaar||864||

O Lord ! I have forsaken all other doors and have caught hold of only Thy door. O Lord ! Thou has caught hold of my arm; I, Govind, am Thy serf, kindly take (care of me and) protect my honour. (864)

In fact if you read an entire chaupai sahib path before ardas that would be brilliant.

Best thing is for you to take this as an opportunity for a true change and take amrit.