Sikh Man In Queens, Ny Run Over By Racist Pickup Driver

OZONE PARK (WABC) -- After a terrifying minute and a half, married father of two, Sandeep Singh was nearly killed Wednesday morning outside of his office on 99th Street in Ozone Park. Sandeep is now in critical condition at the hospital.

Baldey Singh was with Sandeep when he was hit by a pickup truck, and only talked to Eyewitness News. The two men were wrapping up their evening, had just finished dinner and were saying goodbye. As they were standing in the street, the driver of a white pickup pulls up.

"We just crossed in front of his car, he then slowed down," says Baldey.

Baldey says the drive then yelled a racial slur at him and his friends. Sandeep was annoyed, and with his hand, hit the truck. The driver pulled forward, stopped, and then got out of the vehicle, holding something in his hand. Baldey says that at that point, they were concerned, afraid, and felt threatened.

More heated words were exchanged, and the driver got back in his truck. However, Sandeep didn't want to let it go, wanted the man to stop, and wanted to call police. The 29-year-old then stepped in front of the pickup truck. The driver hit the gas, and ran right over Sandeep.

Sandeep was dragged roughly 30 feet down 101st Avenue. His body finally came loose from the truck, which kept on going.

A man named Tony ran to help.

"The fact that I see the way the guy dragged him, the guy has no heart, seriously - he's heartless," says Tony, "He was like 'I can't breathe,' he was all slashed up and cut - there was a lot of blood."

Watch the video @ http://7online.com/news/father-run-over-outside-queens-office/230925/

Jonny and Singha23 you both make valid points about handling such a situation. However, given our bro is in critical condition the remarks can seem insidiouly insensitive. I don't for a moment think you intend that. In fact is clear to me you offer concern and care.

I elaborate here because the points you make will be made in the mainstream by those that are in fact insidious. If the driver is caught they will be part of the driver's self defense argument. From there, Sandeep Singh will be alleged to be the attacker.

From the video and the facts provided, this is clearly a hate crime and use of the vehicle is assault with a weapon. The driver is not merely "heartless" as the story provides but is a violent criminal.

With respect to Sandeep Singh's actions the man is a hero. I think about many confrontations in which I am thankful they did not go wrong. They are not easy decisions and I try to be tactical, but there is always risk. If they did go wrong hindsight will be 20/20. But we make choices to live with honor. Much of the time I view it as my duty to force the bully to think so the next person less capable than me may be safer.

I grew up watching and learning never to let any attack on my dastar go unanswered. I also learned never to stand by if someone needed defence. I must state the fearlessness that taught me was refined loving calm that included education and physical altercations. It is not today's 'punjabi macho'.

If Sandeep Singh's don't answer the call then we are all in that much more danger. I say the above knowing the struggle and story of one man who tamed his corner of the west and protected guruji's dastar. I say it in honor of all such men and women. There is no sarbat da bhalla if you don't protect your own dignity.

Sandeep Singh my dear bro thank you for standing up for all of us. You are worthy of the heroes crown on your head when you live like a king and stand up for your citizens. Waheguroo...

• 3 weeks later...

Cops arrested a Long Island man who they say was the bigot who drove his truck over a Sikh man in Queens after yelling Go back to your own country, Bin Laden! police said early Tuesday morning.

Joseph Caleca, 55, of Setauket, was charged with attempted murder as a hate crime and assault as a hate crime for the July 30 attack on Sandeep Singh, a 29-year-old father and business man. Singh had briefly blocked the drivers path on 99th St. in Ozone Park, police said.

Singh remains hospitalized but is expected to survive his injuries.

On Aug. 7, little more than a week after Singh was attacked, Jaspreet Singh Batra, 34, a Sikh physician, was assaulted by a group of men who yelled similar slurs at him on Roosevelt Island. Police have yet to make an arrest in that attack.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/cops-bust-man-allegedly-hit-sikh-dad-truck-article-1.1908415