Does 21St Century Sikhs Meditate On God?

This is a question for all the sikhs including myself are we really sikhs or just known to be sikhs. How is our relation going on with god? Do we meditate on GOD?

OR

WE are stuck in getting a different nation?

Does every sikh understands Gurbani?

Why do sikhs don't respect other religions? Whereas GURU sahib respected every religion.

And What is the difference between sikh(us) and "SIKH" in this shabad-

ਮਃ ੪ ॥

Ma 4 ||

मः ४ ॥

Fourth Mehl:

1 ਪੰ. ੧੬
Ang:305 Line: 16

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

Gur Sathigur Kaa Jo Sikh Akhaaeae S Bhalakae Outh Har Naam Dhhiaavai ||

गुर सतिगुर का जो सिखु अखाए सु भलके उठि हरि नामु धिआवै ॥

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru the True Guru shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

2 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੬
Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:305 Line: 16

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥

Oudham Karae Bhalakae Parabhaathee Eisanaan Karae Anmrith Sar Naavai ||

उदमु करे भलके परभाती इसनानु करे अम्रित सरि नावै ॥

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

3 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੭
Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:305 Line: 17

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥

Oupadhaes Guroo Har Har Jap Jaapai Sabh Kilavikh Paap Dhokh Lehi Jaavai ||

उपदेसि गुरू हरि हरि जपु जापै सभि किलविख पाप दोख लहि जावै ॥

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

4 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੮
Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:305 Line: 18

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

Fir Charrai Dhivas Gurabaanee Gaavai Behadhiaa Outhadhiaa Har Naam Dhhiaavai ||

फिरि चड़ै दिवसु गुरबाणी गावै बहदिआ उठदिआ हरि नामु धिआवै ॥

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

5 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੮

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥

Jo Saas Giraas Dhhiaaeae Maeraa Har Har So Gurasikh Guroo Man Bhaavai ||

जो सासि गिरासि धिआए मेरा हरि हरि सो गुरसिखु गुरू मनि भावै ॥

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

6 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੯
Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:305 Line: 19

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥

Jis No Dhaeiaal Hovai Maeraa Suaamee This Gurasikh Guroo Oupadhaes Sunaavai ||

जिस नो दइआलु होवै मेरा सुआमी तिसु गुरसिख गुरू उपदेसु सुणावै ॥

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

7 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੬ ਪੰ. ੧
Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:306 Line: 1

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥

I am sorry if have said anything wrong.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

A) Why generalize - who says Sikhs don't respect other religions - where is the evidence? You cannot hold the faith accountable for the actions of individuals. Sikhs are not declaring a Jihad on any faith or otherwise mobilizing as a Panth against any religion.

B) Why Nijjar, not Singh? If you are Amritdhari, you know that this is a no-no. If you are not, then you know this is the first step to being a Sikh.

C) Who says there are not real Gursikhs right now? What evidence is there that all are gone? Not all will wave a flag to attract attention to themselves.

D) Who says Sikhs don't meditate on God? There are many Sikhs waking up at Amrit Vela, doing Simran/Nitnem/Keertan/Paath and trying to be good Gursikhs.

It seems that you are somehow frustrated at the Sikh Panth's current state. That is very easy to get into. Always remember that Vaheguru created the Khalsa and Vaheguru will always have victory (Fateh). It is the game that the Sikh faith was to undergo and learn from. We, who are blessed to be allied to this faith, live on the earnings and respect of our forefathers and must realize that this is not sustainable. New Baba Deep Singhs and Mai Bhagos must and will arise. We have only to look back 30 years from the post 1984 movement to see that Gursikhs were alive and well and up to the same standards of the Puratan Gursikhs.

Focus on yourself and ask yourself these questions and when the answers arise, make improvements to yourself. If you want to exact change, you will have to work on the self. If you wish to do seva, do seva locally per Bhai Jasbir Singh Khanne Vale to raise awareness of Sikhi and conduct Gurmat oriented programs in the local Sangat(s).

Sikhsangat posts will not resolve Panthic matters or be the answer to the questions you are looking for at a Panthic level.

Excellent point to many are wrapped up in the goth (surname), when i was a child my grandmother used to say lose the surname but never ever remove Singh or kaur !. Guru Gobind Singh ji become Singh not Singh rai.

This is a question for all the sikhs including myself are we really sikhs or just known to be sikhs. How is our relation going on with god? Do we meditate on GOD?

OR

WE are stuck in getting a different nation?

Does every sikh understands Gurbani?

Why do sikhs don't respect other religions? Whereas GURU sahib respected every religion.

And What is the difference between sikh(us) and "SIKH" in this shabad-

ਮਃ ੪ ॥

Ma 4 ||

मः ४ ॥

Fourth Mehl:

1 ਪੰ. ੧੬

Ang:305 Line: 16

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

Gur Sathigur Kaa Jo Sikh Akhaaeae S Bhalakae Outh Har Naam Dhhiaavai ||

गुर सतिगुर का जो सिखु अखाए सु भलके उठि हरि नामु धिआवै ॥

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru the True Guru shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

2 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੬

Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:305 Line: 16

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥

Oudham Karae Bhalakae Parabhaathee Eisanaan Karae Anmrith Sar Naavai ||

उदमु करे भलके परभाती इसनानु करे अम्रित सरि नावै ॥

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

3 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੭

Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:305 Line: 17

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥

Oupadhaes Guroo Har Har Jap Jaapai Sabh Kilavikh Paap Dhokh Lehi Jaavai ||

उपदेसि गुरू हरि हरि जपु जापै सभि किलविख पाप दोख लहि जावै ॥

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

4 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੮

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

Fir Charrai Dhivas Gurabaanee Gaavai Behadhiaa Outhadhiaa Har Naam Dhhiaavai ||

फिरि चड़ै दिवसु गुरबाणी गावै बहदिआ उठदिआ हरि नामु धिआवै ॥

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

5 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੮

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥

Jo Saas Giraas Dhhiaaeae Maeraa Har Har So Gurasikh Guroo Man Bhaavai ||

जो सासि गिरासि धिआए मेरा हरि हरि सो गुरसिखु गुरू मनि भावै ॥

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

6 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੫ ਪੰ. ੧੯

Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:305 Line: 19

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥

Jis No Dhaeiaal Hovai Maeraa Suaamee This Gurasikh Guroo Oupadhaes Sunaavai ||

जिस नो दइआलु होवै मेरा सुआमी तिसु गुरसिख गुरू उपदेसु सुणावै ॥

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

7 ਗਉੜੀ ਕੀ ਵਾਰ:੧ (ਮ: ੪) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੩੦੬ ਪੰ. ੧

Raag Gauri Guru Ram Das Ang:306 Line: 1

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥

I am sorry if have said anything wrong.

Excellent post

A) Why generalize - who says Sikhs don't respect other religions - where is the evidence? You cannot hold the faith accountable for the actions of individuals. Sikhs are not declaring a Jihad on any faith or otherwise mobilizing as a Panth against any religion.

B) Why Nijjar, not Singh? If you are Amritdhari, you know that this is a no-no. If you are not, then you know this is the first step to being a Sikh.

C) Who says there are not real Gursikhs right now? What evidence is there that all are gone? Not all will wave a flag to attract attention to themselves.

D) Who says Sikhs don't meditate on God? There are many Sikhs waking up at Amrit Vela, doing Simran/Nitnem/Keertan/Paath and trying to be good Gursikhs.

It seems that you are somehow frustrated at the Sikh Panth's current state. That is very easy to get into. Always remember that Vaheguru created the Khalsa and Vaheguru will always have victory (Fateh). It is the game that the Sikh faith was to undergo and learn from. We, who are blessed to be allied to this faith, live on the earnings and respect of our forefathers and must realize that this is not sustainable. New Baba Deep Singhs and Mai Bhagos must and will arise. We have only to look back 30 years from the post 1984 movement to see that Gursikhs were alive and well and up to the same standards of the Puratan Gursikhs.

Focus on yourself and ask yourself these questions and when the answers arise, make improvements to yourself. If you want to exact change, you will have to work on the self. If you wish to do seva, do seva locally per Bhai Jasbir Singh Khanne Vale to raise awareness of Sikhi and conduct Gurmat oriented programs in the local Sangat(s).

Sikhsangat posts will not resolve Panthic matters or be the answer to the questions you are looking for at a Panthic level.

KHalsa ji you are real khalsa . I respect your answers to questions and agree with it completely.

DO you know these are not my questions? MY classmate(not sikh) asked me this question. He said, " Why do you guys always hate Hindu And Muslims. Why do you ask for different nation when GURU NANAK DEV JI said GOD is one and he is in everyone. "

THese are all his questions not MINE.

And I felt very bad that what is being perceived by people.

And Nijjar is for the id so that i don't get already taken error hah! I know I don't have as much knowledge as sikhs like you have. But I am not fighting about these questions, Don't get angry. Everyone is not perfectly knowledgeable like you.

I am very sorry to say that You did not read the post carefully I already said "including myself" as I first asked this question to myself then others.

Good post. Glad people haven't shouted at you for asking those questions.

Society is a different place now. Everyone has his own version of truth and how to pray or meditate. I have seen many Sikhs who meditate, do all paths but say that they are still incomplete. They still are nothing in front of their indriyaan. Many are full of hatred for Hindus and Muslims. Same in other religions you can find many who haven't achieved success and peace of mind and they are after the other religions.

But the matter of fact - god created man and then rest is a long story.

The crux is to be good and do good and lead a simple life - if you can considering the level of distractions these days. Meditation will come "Sehaje".

Jio, you did not specify that this was from your classmate - apologies that I did not know as it was not stated.

Your classmate is being quite strange - what is his evidence for asking this question? That is more of an accusation than a question and he should be challenged to present evidence that we as a faith (not individuals) hate any faith. Given that Gurbani includes verses from Hindus and Muslims that we bow down to, that statement would not have a leg to stand on.

Nobody is angry - trust me. Not a Brahmgyani either (perfectly knowledgable would be that). Saying including myself does not inherently mean that you did not ask the questions. Nijjar is a surname and carries with it a burden contrary to Sikhi - you could have just as easily picked Eagle or Grasshopper or whatever other descriptive/label to make yourself stand out.

Anyways, best of luck.

I think he is escaping now..

Jio, you did not specify that this was from your classmate - apologies that I did not know as it was not stated.

Your classmate is being quite strange - what is his evidence for asking this question? That is more of an accusation than a question and he should be challenged to present evidence that we as a faith (not individuals) hate any faith. Given that Gurbani includes verses from Hindus and Muslims that we bow down to, that statement would not have a leg to stand on.

Nobody is angry - trust me. Not a Brahmgyani either (perfectly knowledgable would be that). Saying including myself does not inherently mean that you did not ask the questions. Nijjar is a surname and carries with it a burden contrary to Sikhi - you could have just as easily picked Eagle or Grasshopper or whatever other descriptive/label to make yourself stand out.

Anyways, best of luck.

That would be awsome to have someone calling himself FALANA SINGH GRASSHOPPER instead of using their casteist, tribal, backward, tail names.

Our father Guru Gobind Singh gave us SINGH as our last name to be our ID as Sikhs but pseudo Sikhs stil are still lost in the backwardness of casteism and stupid surnames.