Keeping Kesh

Big_Tera

When in Sikhsim did keeping the Kesh become compulsory?

Did Guru Nanak Devi ji and the successive Gurus also keep Kesh?

We know that keeping our hair became compulsory on the orders of Guru Gobind Singh Ji the last Guru

In all the pictures of the Gurus they are all wearing Turbans, beard. But can we be certain that all the Gurus kept their Kesh before the the 10th Master??

Also as Guru Nanak was a from Hindu family was their hair also cut along with other Hindu rituals performed during their childhood?

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

One of the commitments that Bhai Mardana had to make to Guru Nanak Sahib was to keep kesh. It appears to be from the beginning. Source: Katha I randomly remember and multiple citations multiple times on Internet. Either that Kathakar is really popular, or they are all referencing one source that I don't know the name of.

Some state that the original Janamsakhi had this reference in a conversation between Guru Nanak Sahib and Peer Bahauddin Source: http://gurmatbibek.com/forum/read.php?3,30325,30325

Mundan cermemony - That Guru Sahib rejected janeo ceremony is known. Mundan is unknown to me and has not been cited explicitly.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

One of the commitments that Bhai Mardana had to make to Guru Nanak Sahib was to keep kesh. It appears to be from the beginning. Source: Katha I randomly remember and multiple citations multiple times on Internet. Either that Kathakar is really popular, or they are all referencing one source that I don't know the name of.

Some state that the original Janamsakhi had this reference in a conversation between Guru Nanak Sahib and Peer Bahauddin Source: http://gurmatbibek.com/forum/read.php?3,30325,30325

Mundan cermemony - That Guru Sahib rejected janeo ceremony is known. Mundan is unknown to me and has not been cited explicitly.

Also when Bhai Mardana passed on his skills to his son , he also told his son to keep kesh always if he wanted to be a rababi for Guru ji, so Rababis were rehitvaan too.

Also when Bhai Mardana passed on his skills to his son , he also told his son to keep kesh always if he wanted to be a rababi for Guru ji, so Rababis were rehitvaan too.

Rehit of Gursikhs has always been there, I have personally seen Guru Teg Bahadur's Kara which was discovered hidden in a wall in Guru ka Bagh Patna. I have heard from other Gursikhs that he also wore Kacchera...so my feeling it has always been there but Dasmesh Pita crystallised it to protect his beloved Gursikhs from Dhils.

ਰਖਵਾਯੋ ॥

[Nau Nidh speaking] "Oh Lord, you have created a new [religious] Path, you have created a new dress and have kept your Kesh [unshorn hair].

ਗੁਰੂ ਗਰੀਬ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਬਤਾਵਹੁ ! ॥ ਕਿਸ ਕਾਰਨ ਕਰਿ ਇਨਹੁਂ ਰਖਾਵਹੁ ?॥3॥

Guru Ji, helper of the poor, why have you kept Kesh as a part of your dress

?

ਸੁਨਿ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖ ਫੁਰਮਾਵਨਿ ਕਰਯੋ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਕੋ ਸ਼ਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਹੁਤ ਬਿਚਰ੍ਯੋ ॥

Hearing the words [of Nau Nidh], Guru Ji said, "You have studied many Shaastras"

ਪੜ੍ਹਨ ਸ਼੍ਰਵਨ ਮਹਿਂ ਬੈਸ ਬਿਤਾਈ ॥ ਇਹ ਗਤਿ ਲਖੀ ਕਿ ਨਹਿਂ ਤੁਮ ਪਾਈ ॥4॥

"You have spent your life listening and reciting the Shaastras, yet you have not come to realize the answer"

ਧਰਮ ਰਖਨਿ ਕੇਸ਼ਾਦਿਕ ਭਲੇ ॥ ਸਨਕਾਦਿਕ ਤੇ ਆਵਤਿ ਚਲੇ ॥

Adorning Kesh is beneficial to keeping one's Dharam, since the start of time this has been the tradition.

ਭਾਰਥ ਖੰਡ ਬਿਖੈ ਸ਼ੁਭ ਦੇਸ਼ ॥ ਕੇਸ਼ ਰਾਖਣੋ ਧਰਮ ਬਿਸ਼ੇਸ਼' ॥5॥

In the great land of Bharat [india], keeping Kesh is an exalted part of Dharam.

ਸੁਨਿ ਕੈ ਨਉਨਿਧ ਬਹੁਰ ਬਖਾਨਾ ॥ ਆਪ ਕਹਹੁ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਚ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਨਾ ॥

Listening to the answer, Nau Nidh replied, "what you have said is true.

ਪ੍ਰਥਮ ਕੇਸ਼ ਧਾਰੀ ਸਭਿ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਅਬਿ ਤੌ ਸਮਾ ਰਹ੍ਯੋ ਨਹਿਂ ਸੋਈ' ॥6॥

Everyone used to keep their Kesh, however times have changed."

ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਭਨ੍ਯੋ 'ਸਮਾ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਕਹੈ ॥ ਸੋ ਰਵਿ ਸੋ ਸਸਿ, ਸੋ ਜਲ ਅਹੈ ॥

ਬਾਯੂ, ਬੰਨੀ, ਬਸੁਧਾ ੳਈ ॥ ਦੋਸ਼ ਸਮੈ ਕੋ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਕਹਿ ਕੋਈ ॥7॥

Guru Ji replied, "How have times changed? The same sun remains, the same moon, water, wind, fire and Earth remain. How can you blame time?

ਆਪਨ ਆਪ ਕੋ ਦੋਸ਼ ਲਖੀਜੈ । ਰਾਖੇ ਜਾਇਂ ਨ, ਸਾਚ ਕਹੀਜੈ ॥

Blame yourself for not being able to keep Kesh, speak the truth Nau Nidh.

ਕੇਸ਼ ਰਖਨਿ ਕੀ ਸਮਰਥ ਹੀਨੇ ॥ ਦੋਸ਼ ਸਮੇਂ ਪਰ ਕਲਪਨ ਕੀਨੇ ॥8॥

You do not have the strength to keep Kesh so you dismissively blame the times for changing.

--------

ਰਚ੍ਯੋ ਸੁ ਈਸ਼ੁਰ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹ ॥ ਕਰ੍ਯੋ ਸੁਭਾਇਮਾਨ ਛਬਿ ਗ੍ਰੇਹ ॥

The body is created by Eshvar [The Lord], He has created humans beautiful and respectful.

ਉੱਤਮਾਂਗ ਪਰ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਕਰੇ ॥ ਅਧਿਕ ਰੂਪ ਕੇਸ਼ਨ ਤੇ ਧਰੇ ॥40॥

Out of all parts of the body, the head is the highest, and adorning Kesh [unshorn hair] on top of one's head the body becomes beautiful.

This is only an excerpt from the passage, there is a portion which has not been included where Guru Gobind Singh Ji outlines how the tradition of keeping kesh has eroded in both Semitic and Eastern religions.