Sikhism's Compatibility With Other Faiths

ASKhalsa1

Ranjeet veer,

I agree not a whole lot, may be 20% of muslims...sunni fanatics in islam have totally lost the plot..

However, generally speaking other religious people from other religions have similar problem of not getting the final message, have issue seeing things in stages and are stuck in initial stages, taken relative realities as their reality. For example, Sikhi has spiritual stages mentioned as well in Japji sahib, anand karaj among other places but many people are not aware of it how they are state of mind, state of spiritual development progress. Many are cultural religious sikhs affected by punjabiyaat than religious-spiritual sikhs deep rooted in gurmat

Neo

Many muslims are affected by arabiyat, for them to take the guru's message would mean in their minds that they would cease to become muslim and not follow their prophet.

I remember watching the Basics of Sikhi's Jugraaj Singh's discussion with Dawah man and I saw how Jugraaj Singh followed the Guru's example and used analogies of naam simran and told Dawah to recite the 99 names of Allah and do jaap on them in the morning.

It was interesting to see Dawah Man's body language and you could see the jot/noor in him ignite but then he had to snap himself out of it and he was harping on about the retorical devices.

We all have the capability of evolving spiritually, it's just we have not had that switch activated within us, some people are afraid of it too.

One of the things about Sikhi is that everyone says if we do something wrong it is punjabi culture.

The ironic thing is Sikhi came out of Punjab, there must be either something good about Punjab for Sikhi to be born or Sikhi came out of Punjab as Punjab needed it the most.

There are other times I think, why did Guru Nanak Dev Ji have to be born in Punjab, if he was born somewhere else, Sikhi would have flourished far more because Punjabi folk are a peculiar bunch, we don't appreciate what is right under our noses and go for inferior stuff which is further away.

Like Graham Hancock says , "the human race has collective amnesia", we Sikhs have collective amnesia.

Apologies to everyone for my incoherent waffling.

Islam has equivalent to naam simran, they call it ZIKR/DHIKR.

Agree with your post but i like to point out current punjabi culture is not what it used to be. We had enrich punjabi culture in past which was more prevalent in mainstream where there was lot more emphasis on vidya, bhramvidya, poetry, calligraphy, art, martial wrestling, punjabi medicine, pride in language, clean folk songs, punjabi heritage, literature

Thanks to these websites for reviving traditional punjabi literature and culture:

http://www.panjabdigilib.org/webuser/searches/mainpage.jsp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/discoverpunjabheritage/

Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji has got bani from bhagats from different religions. anyone can understand this- its open to all and equality is fundamental. BUT and its a big BUT we do have fundamentalists who want a different styled Sikhism.

what do you mean sir ? clearly if they are fundamentalists they will follow Guru ji to the letter so that would mean they would be dutybound to be open about Jagat Guru to humanity not as your namesake would have us believe ...if being sikh of the Guru is being a terrorist then Waheguru ji bless me with such a title.

Guest Jacfsing2

Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji has got bani from bhagats from different religions. anyone can understand this- its open to all and equality is fundamental. BUT and its a big BUT we do have fundamentalists who want a different styled Sikhism.

Strange Username: Badal? But that's out of the way, it's open to all, but to say they were different religions is just wrong, they were following a religion at the time called: Truth and Bhagti.

• 1 month later...

Well how about this for a strange religious custom coming from Christianity.

Drinking the blood of Christ at communion.

I remember from Church days the preaching of the message of Christ being sacrifice in the name of love which is all well and good.

But drinking his blood seems a bit vampirish to me.

In fact I will go so far as to say I have experienced a feeling of a waterfall of blood flowing over me and this feeling would be actively encouraged by priests as a way

of bringing me closer to God as Christ himself said "no one goes to the father except through me" so a feeling of being awash in the blood of Christ would be seen as a

positive thing.

Anyway, I am a cultural Christian (born this way to a very relaxed family) looking to extract the best of my religion and celebrate it but I am the first to admit that within Christianity

there seems a lot that appears very un-Christian.

However the Gurus messages of love and Christs message of love do seem to have similarities and therefore some compatability between both religions may exist.

• 3 weeks later...

Strange Username: Badal? But that's out of the way, it's open to all, but to say they were different religions is just wrong, they were following a religion at the time called: Truth and Bhagti.

Pretty sure there's no religion called that but ok

Edit:fixed formatting