I Couldn't Get Married

weareallone

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

So here's my story. I'm a Sikh from a non-Sikh family. I'm beginning to doubt whether I will ever find a Kaur for marriage.

I used to be an ordinary chap running after money and career and an atheist to boot. I had no trouble attracting girls- they were running after me in droves, however they were only really interested in status, fashion and wealth- urban consumerist life and I wanted more. I abstained from relationships to wait for the right person. Then God then reached out to me.

When I gravitated towards the Guru's path, I was shunned by all friends and family. Very keen on sharing my life with a soulmate and starting a family, I looked to the Sikh community. I was initially afraid of entering the Gurdwara as an outsider. Some kindly old timers gave me the confidence but in spite of their efforts to link me up with youth, I wasn't considered 'Sikh' enough by the Amritdharis (Jatha types), who shunned me; so my sangat were limited to the granthis and old timers who helped me get involved in sewa. However they refused to help me with Amrit Sanchar and was never invited to anyone's home- so arm's length affection only but I greatly appreciated it nevertheless as it gave me confidence to enter the Gurdwara and I was relied upon regularly in all types of sewa. I was respected even if I was not one of them. I looked beyond my small town but still was not considered devout enough to be worth talking to, thus lack of friends and marriage a distant prospect. When I tried finding a parther through all the usual channels, the amritdhari women and their families wouldn't even look my way. The haircut asian/punjabi women showed some interest based on job and career, but were disgusted by my beard etc. So I wasn't devout enough for the amritdharis but too devout for the patits. I was advised to get a haircut and get in line if I wanted to marry.

Some time on I realised the Guru's calling and found great happiness as a servant of the Guru. The Amritdharis began talking to me but only formally- I was still an outsider- someone not to be trusted enough for involvement in their inner circles.I saw how they gathered together, did keertan at each other's houses etc. People liked me as a person and appreciated my love for the Guru. I was given great respect as a fellow sikh but I was never one of them. I tried to invite myself to their gatherings but failed. Once again I tried finding a partner through all the usual channels. It was the nominal 'keshdaris' who showed any bit of interest- the money and satus grabbing sardar family type. My rehat and also my lack of "family reputation in the Sikh community" put them off. I was advised to trim my beard, gather lots of money and get in line if I wanted to marry. So I wasn't devout enough for the exclusive Jathaists but too devout for the 'keshdaris'.

With time I gained better standing in my community as a guru pyara and myself understood more about life itself. Once again I tried finding a partner through all the usual channels. The jathe wale rejected me, but now the non-jathebandi amritdharis became interested. I communicated with with many families. One very spiritual kaur agreed to marriage but sadly in the end, my non-sikh and non-punjabi and non-caste background became the deal breaker and the family got her married off elsewhere. So I was finally devout enough for the Amritdharis (but not Punjabi enough) and too devout for the Jathebandis.

Eventually God blessed me with a hukam to serve humanity. It was a realisation of my true self and purpose in life. Having realised the Guru's message I set out to help humanity become self-sufficient. With tears flowing I understood the true meaning of life. I was overjoyed with my spiritual emancipation and continue to be amazed by the love of God (and ashamed by the greed of man). In so doing I naturally gravitated towards being a more simple and humble person. I am a genuinely caring and honest individual and people like me. Sikhs and also spiritual people of other religions give me great respect. I wanted someone to be part of this journey so once again I tried finding a partner through all the usual channels. By now all the Amritdharis rejected me because I strive to live my life by the will of God. It seems job, money and career mean everything to them and their religiousity is merely a personal hobby.

As I travelled the developing world taking the Gurus message with me and met more people- I found that I got along very well with the older generation (who indeed had been the first to accept me) but not so much the youth. The old timers, truly kind hearted and spiritual human beings would say that my problem is that I am a Sikh and younger women these days haven't got a clue and those that are genuine Sikhs are too subsumed into the urban consumer lifestyle or overshadowed by their Punjabi-ism. I am living in the wrong era- a few generations ago I wouldn't have had any problems. So thusly I became too devout for the young Asian Amritdharis and am now seen as a pathetic old 'baba' but not devout enough for the so called 'sants'. At the same time I was travelling wide and far to gather support from the Sangat for my mission but all the so called 'sants' and groups rejected me. One very high status 'sant' told me that the Guru was a "poor pathetic beggar" who had no choice but to live they way that he did. Another said "What poverty? It is a myth". Another stared at me stupidly. Yet another was more interested in talking about himself only. Jathebandi 'Bhai sahib' (who assumed due to my bana and rehat that I was one of them) was very crestfallen that I wasn't one of theirs- I was politely given the cold shoulder. Another respected 'sant' first declared that I was not a Sikh, then upon asking for silence and meditating, reversed his decision and declared that since I was such a genuine Sikh, I would find it very hard to find anyone- friends, peers or wife who would be at my level and hurriedly ran away.

As I travelled further I have met a great many very spiritually minded people. The elderly sikhs love and respect me greatly. Mostly however they are truly spiritual (non-Sikh) people with whom I have an instant connection- they throw themselves at the opportunity to help me and go to great lengths to help me make this world a better place- even if their religion tells them I am to burn in hell. It looks unlikely that I will be able to live a complete life with my missing spiritual half. Don't get me wrong- there are some very kind and spiritually minded Kaurs out there, but they mostly tend to marry young, not marry at all, or cannot be true to their faith due to family pressure, male patriatchy and greed of consumer life. I have met scores of happily married Kaurs, God bless them.

For anyone who suggests to keep waiting, that God will come through, yes I have faith but simultaneously I know through spiritual senses that I should be married right now but that there are very few real Sikhs in this world therefore hard to find each other. It may never happen so I am contemplating adopting orphans by myself. I love the children and I will do my best to be there for them. Indeed all children are my own. If I have to walk this life alone, I am fully prepared to die fighting for a fairer, greenier, happier, healthier and spiritually aware world and die I may well have to given what it is God has asked me to do.

Now I don't expect any help from the unknown on the Internet. I've heard it all from different kinds of people- from the helpful to the hatred.

I have a message for the Sikh youth: I beg you to please be more open minded in life. The Guru's message is far deeper (yet simple) and more wonderful than most people realise. You are genuinely a blessed one to be even aware of it. Unlearn each and every thing that you have ever learned in life, challenge all ideas and conceptions, wipe the slate clean and start afresh, with the Shabad Guru to guide your way. The world is devoid of real Sikhs and this will no doubt hurt your pride but most of todays' youth who show any interest at all, have made it either a sunday hobby or a fad-fetish. Ask yourself whether after completing your shabad keertan, you get together in groups and share inner thoughts about your spiritual experiences, your love for God and thusly do real practical keertan. Ask yourself whether you genuinely are motivated to change this world for the better- for everyone; whether you actually believe that your entire tan, man and dhan belongs to the Guru. Pray for guidance, challenge your life and be prepared to walk the narrow path. Ask whether you really love God and what loving God really means. Do you see God everywhere. Do you feel the pain and suffering of the world? Have you been called to his service? I humbly beg with my hands prostrated before you to talk to the Guru, for the betterment of yourself and the world. Reject consumer-capitalist life, false cultures and the Greek-Victorian-Abrahamic faith inspired mindset that has taken over the world. Be true to yourself and fully open your heart to God. Love God and love each and every one as your family.

God bless.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh ji

Brother where are you from? Uk? If so, whereabouts?

Beloved sister, one is not complete. Awareness can be a blessing or a curse depending on how you see it. The self willing manmukh knows no better. One who yearns for God feels the lack. Do not underestimate the strength of a spiritual union and that of the group. I sympathise with your wanting to be on the fringe, it can feel that way, but little change can come about if you keep it under the hood. Women tend to be more spriritual than men, it is just how the dice is rolled. These natural instincts are crushed by patriarchy and breakdown in society and balance with nature. Some rebel as the feminist. Most accept and integrate. Others find refuge in the religious groups. Few see a spade for a spade, put their hand up and say, "Sorry but I reject it all". Reject it my sister and behold a new start. Be bold enough to be different. Sure, I have a purpose in life, but it is no different to the purpose of the Guru. It should be at the heart of it not be very different to any other. Things may seem very different but be principally identical. Ensrine the Guru's widsom in your mind. Beg for Amrit. Find your Singh. Make the proposal. Change the world. Live the natural life. Do it now.

One wonderfully spiritual Kaur once challened me when I shared with her my inner yearnings: "So you have this dream. Great. Now what are you doing about it?" This lit up a fire under me. I realised that it wasn't a mere dream, it was reality. And God guided me as to what I can do about it. I ask you the same question my beloved sister.

If you could message me regarding seva, paaji, that'd be great.