Is happiness and contentment our natural state?

Ranjeet01

I am across this interesting article and just wondered if this rang true in Sikhi context:

http://www.deanabbott.com/happiness-is-not-your-natural-state/

If I look at this from a Sikhi standpoint, does this mean that the 5 vices (krodh, ahankaar, lob, moh, kaam) are a natural default position as human beings and that to get rid of these vices in order to get to santokhi is a choice?

Your thoughts please.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

I've been mulling over something similar for the past few weeks. I sometimes wonder whether Sikhi is maybe too idealistic? A perfect path but perhaps beyond the reach of 99.9% of its followers? There's too many bull5hitters who talk a great and pious game in public, but behind closed doors are left severely wanting on even the most basic of tenets. I think they call it human nature, lol.

Of course, Sikhi's inherent message at its very core is one of self-improvement and betterment, not only for the individual on a spiritual basis and otherwise, but also in terms of how we affect others around us.

Overcoming the 5 Vices is, I believe, the key to it all. Whether humanity is capable of ever overcoming its built-in switches is debatable. Still, it's a message of hope and something to strive for, and it's a beautifully positive way of aiming to exist as prescribed by our Guru Sahibs.

One of things that make me question the article is that as a child, you tend to be quite happy and content for the most part. In some ways, children by nature show the 5 virtues (daya, santokhi,sat,pyaar,nimrata) more readily but as we get older and we experience life, the baggage we pick up the 5 vices. 

Perhaps in some ways we get programmed in life to let the 5 vices over-ride us and Sikhi helps to de-program what we have been conditioned in Maya. 

Maybe in terms of Sikhi, being happy and content is a human's default state and we strive to get back to that state.

11 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Perhaps in some ways we get programmed in life to let the 5 vices over-ride us and Sikhi helps to de-program what we have been conditioned in Maya. 

Maybe in terms of Sikhi, being happy and content is a human's default state and we strive to get back to that state.

Very true. 

Various religions refer to a state of human existence pre-Sin, i.e. Christianity and the Garden of Eden prior to Eve's temptation; Original Sin. And there's the Eastern faiths, including Sikhi, that refer to an era of ultimate Truth (Satjug), etc., so perhaps there was an age when we were not subject to - or at least had a firm grip on - what became the vices.

1 hour ago, Thanatos said:

There was a Sant (I think it was Isher Singh Ji Sant Ji) who said we should strive to do deeds to better our chances in the next life and reap the rewards there. Not everyone will reach Nirankar, but we can try. 

All too often our people interpret the above in bold as material rewards; elevated social status, fruitful employment, peaceful and contented existence... MONEY, lol. The fact that there may be other less tangible rewards may as well as be voodoo to these folk.  

10 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

All too often our people interpret the above in bold as material rewards; elevated social status, fruitful employment, peaceful and contented existence... MONEY, lol. The fact that there may be other less tangible rewards may as well as be voodoo to these folk.  

Very true lol.