Questions about Guru Granth Sahib Ji

MisterrSingh

WJKK, WJKF.

I have a couple or so questions about the structure and style of Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

1. I was listening to a sehaj paath recently, and the giani ji was reciting Gurbani almost as if he were singing it, i.e. it had a melody. It was beautiful to hear. Is there an "official" name given to this style of doing paath? Is it a raag or something similar? When us non-Granthi individuals recite our baaniya, it's - in most cases - done in a style of reading something aloud in a constant almost monotonous manner, whereas what I heard during the sehaj paath was on a different level. As I said, can that way of reciting Gurbani be taught, or is it simply an individual flourish?

2. It's agreed that Guru Granth Sahib Ji has 1430 angs. So based on this standardised numbering system, where exactly does a) Sukhmani Sahib, and b) Rehraas Sahib begin?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

WJKK, WJKF.

I have a couple or so questions about the structure and style of Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

1. I was listening to a sehaj paath recently, and the giani ji was reciting Gurbani almost as if he were singing it, i.e. it had a melody. It was beautiful to hear. Is there an "official" name given to this style of doing paath? Is it a raag or something similar? When us non-Granthi individuals recite our baaniya, it's - in most cases - done in a style of reading something aloud in a constant almost monotonous manner, whereas what I heard during the sehaj paath was on a different level. As I said, can that way of reciting Gurbani be taught, or is it simply an individual flourish?

2. It's agreed that Guru Granth Sahib Ji has 1430 angs. So based on this standardised numbering system, where exactly does a) Sukhmani Sahib, and b) Rehraas Sahib begin?

Thanks in advance.

1. I love listening to this, Kirtan Roopi, (Kirtan de Roop vich). I seem to concentrate better to this style. 

2. Ang 262 is normally stated for Sukhmani Sahib ji. 

Rehras Sahib Ji is Ang 469 I think, but I'm going by:

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?S=y

Should check it out though, as I'm not fully sure. 

Guest Jacfsing2
4 hours ago, simran345 said:

1. I love listening to this, Kirtan Roopi, (Kirtan de Roop vich). I seem to concentrate better to this style. 

Hopefully Vaheguru can bless me with such Prem. To do Paht with such dedication. :waheguru:

13 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

WJKK, WJKF.

Thanks in advance.

1) Gurbani is supposed to be sung if I remember right, that's why its in raags, I think the only exception is during Akhand Path Sahib, but for that question. Yes it can, I usually attempt to mimic Kirtan Roops of Gurbani when im reciting them, they're really good.

2) Sukhmani Sahib starts at ang 262 in the printed Saroops and Rehraas Sahib is a composition of various parts of Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Dasam Granth Ji and so on. Depending on which Rehrass Sahib you do it'll contain different portions of Gurbani. Some will have (for example) full Chaupai Sahib (starting from ਮਹਾ ਕਾਲ ਕੀ ਸਰਨਿ ਜੇ ਪਰੇ ਸੁ ਲਏ ਬਚਾਇ ॥ ਔਰ ਨ ਉਪਜਾ ਦੂਸਰ ਜਗ ਭਛਿਯੋ ਸਭੈ ਬਨਾਇ ॥੩੬੬॥) and then contining on into various parts of other banis like Ram Avtar, Guru Gobind Singh Ji's portion of recalling the martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahdaur Ji and so on. imo you should do this one but that's my personal opinion so its totally worthless so do what you feel is right for you :)

1. According to the ability given to us by Guru Ji we should try to sing, listen and read as much Gurbani as we can. When you are tired of reading, sing. When tired of singing just listen. 

SGGS Ang 611

Hear with your ears, and sing with your tongue, and meditate within your heart on Him.

SGGS Ang 611

The Word of God's Bani, and His Shabad, are the best utterances.

So constantly sing them, listen to them, and read them, O Siblings of Destiny, and the Perfect Guru shall save you. ||Pause||

Giani Jis recite the mool mantra and sing it sometimes as well. 

However to gain the complete knowledge of all raags correctly we would need to go to someone who has truly been blessed. Baru sahib wale babaji has managed to teach his pupils to recite the whole Guru Granth Sahib in the correct raags. 

Some Giani jis will recite ban very melodiously - deep down from the heart, others will rush through it. Pick and choose whatever style appeals to you. 

I have heard melodious recitation in the Akhand paths as well. Anything which helps others to concentrate is welcome. 

2. Rehras Sahb is best recited  from the Gutka as it is a collection of shabads and chaupai sahib, anand sahib which are from different Angs of the SGGS.