Images Of Shiva

Freed

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but does anyone have any images of Shiva or other Indic Gods with beards ?

I have been looking for images with beards - is there any reason or tradition as to why most are depicted without beards ?

Most images of Shiva follow this pattern ;

copyofdsc01253rq9.jpg

This shows a Trident with Shiva as 'Ardhanari' - half man half woman

(A bronze from the Chola period 1000-1100 (South India))

*From the collection of the Cleveland Museum of Art, Ohio.

The only image I have been able to find is this Bronze Mask of Lord Shiva , discovered during the reign of M. Ranjit Singh by General Court at Peshawar in 1834. It dates from the 5th century and is now in the collection of the Bibliotheque nationale Paris , having been given to the French King by General Allard.

Lord Shiva is shown with a full beard.

dsc02577ir0.jpg

* taken from Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Lord of The Five Rivers - Jean Marie Lafont - OUP 2002

Does anyone have any other images of Shiva with a beard ?

I would be really grateful if you could post them

Many Thanks

Freed

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Namaste Freed.

I'm afraid Imageshack is refusing to work on my computer at the moment but Shiva's Mangesh Linga form (depicted here with ShantaDurga) is usually pictured with a beard, and there was another notable picture I found (which I'll upload via Imageshack asp) where he has a beard.

Shiva the Disney land cartoon

I quote veer Bijla Singh 'Hinduism is not a religion and certainly not something we are supposed to love as its beliefs and practices are totally contrary to Sikhi. Hindus at large have opposed us. Only few have sympathized with us and opposed the government but they never ever supported us in any freedom movement for the cause of the Sikh nation. Whenever they unite we face persecution be it seize of Anandpur Sahib, holocausts in 18th century, Anglo Sikh wars, blue star or Delhi massacre. We cannot be one with them religiously, politically and socially.''

Amen to that

This is not HinduSangat.Com, you want to discuss Hindu gods you can do that somewhere else
Are you the mod or admin?
I quote veer Bijla Singh
Why don't you try saying something from your own understanding?

thanks and regards :lol:

Not a moderator just a member ,but the way in which Bijla Singh put it was just perfect ,its not too rough not to soft - just the nice plain truth.

This is not HinduSangat.Com, you want to discuss Hindu gods you can do that somewhere else,
Ironic that you of all people would say that, considering almost of all yours posts that I've viewed mention Hinduism, or Hindus (in a derogatory fashion I might add).
We cannot be one with them religiously, politically and socially.''
So what happens if Punjab becomes Khalistan? Should Sikhs exile Hindus from Khalistan?
Just type shivlingam in google and you will see what it is
The fact that the oldest Lingas ever found (in the Indus valley civilization) are shaped like pillars, and not like the modern Lingas (which many equate to being phallus) seems to disprove that interpretation (which is very recent) of the Shivalinga.
Shiva the Disney land cartoon
Huh? blink.gif

This is not HinduSangat.Com

and its not HinduPhobicSangat.Com either...

classic..hahaha..

hoddie of sant jarnail singh ji bhindranwale/khalistan- 5 quids

hand made taksali kirpan - 30 quids

big titanuim or sarbloh hand made karas- 40-50 quids

new age sikh youth fanatics getting their knickers in twist just by seeing shivji picture on sikhsangat on genuine thread - PRICELESS !!!!!!! LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif