Singhnee

simran_kaur

Wow bro, I think that’s the best interpretation we have got so far. You can never be too sure with these things; nothing is as it seems as proposed by by a new interesting metaphor theory. However, also notice unlike the khalsa warrior the singnee seems to lost her limbs. Could this be pointing to the fact that these limbs are not ours but instead belong to waheguru, and as a corollary they should only be used for virtuous and noble deeds.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An apt observation my fellow histortian. The limbs are present, but we cannot see them, for they are not real- they are all a part of the illusion of maya that binds people, that craetes the attactment in which the world is lost. Once such attatchemnt is no longer present, one will realise their physical body does not really exist, and has been gifted in this illusion solely for the puropse of noble acts. This must be why the Singhnee is still content, even though to the viewer it appaers she has no arms/legs- they are ona physical level present, but the paiting is done taking the perspective of a higher level, and thus does not include such worldly features. Truly Brilliant- who would have imagined such a degree of symbolism could be expressed in one single artwork?

Ahhh I agree...notice how nothing seems to be in the painting, however everything is really there. Maybe the artist is trying to convey the message that just because you cant see something does not mean it doesnt exist..... I believe the white background is symbolic for purity...a state which still needs to be achieved in the khalsa warrior painting which we found to consist of chaos as opposed to a structured order. The Ying and Yang may not lie within the khalsa warrior picture, but may lie in the differences between this work of art and the khalsa warrior painting....what do u think?

It certainly is a far more tranquil piece than the Khalsa warrior. It is like the Singhnee here has achieved a state of bliss which the warrior strives to achive through destroying the evil allu.

Notice how the attire of the Singhnee is covered in dirt, and yet her face is clean from the same dirt.

does this not remind you of this:

nwnk qy muK aujly kyqI CutI nwil ]1]

-O Nanak, their faces are radiant in the Court of the Lord, and many are saved along with them! ||1||

nwnk qy muK ajly kyqI CutI nwil ]1]

naanak tay mukh ujlay kaytee chhutee naal. ||1||

Also, upon closer inspection, you will notice the dirt off the attire does in places contaminate the purity of the white background. This suggests that the illusion of maya is a difficult one to break, and only a true Gurmukh can be successful. Alternatively. it could mean that the line between purity and dirt is blurred, and thus us mortals are incapable of judging what is good and bad- hence we should not judge anyone

It certainly is a far more tranquil piece than the Khalsa warrior. It is like the Singhnee here has achieved a state of bliss which the warrior strives to achive through destroying the evil allu.

Notice how the attire of the Singhnee is covered in dirt, and yet her face is clean from the same dirt.

does this not remind you of this:

nwnk qy muK aujly kyqI CutI nwil ]1] 

-O Nanak, their faces are radiant in the Court of the Lord, and many are saved along with them! ||1|| 

nwnk qy muK ajly kyqI CutI nwil ]1] 

naanak tay mukh ujlay kaytee chhutee naal. ||1|| 

Also, upon closer inspection, you will notice the dirt off the attire does in places contaminate the purity of the white background. This suggests that the illusion of maya is a difficult one to break, and only a true Gurmukh can be successful. Alternatively. it could mean that the line between purity and dirt is blurred, and thus us mortals are incapable of judging what is good and bad- hence we should not judge anyone

88635[/snapback]

bro, which university did u say u did your phd at? grin.gif your interpretations seem spot on about this work of art. And I agree with you, I think the artist is trying to suggest that nothing in this world is black and white, and everything is so finely mixed with each other to produce the grey world as we see it. The only white thing which is set on a very narrow path, is the path of Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Once we stick to the path the veil of covering the true world is lifted and we can see the world for what it really is blush.gif

APDF bro, you have summed it all up amazingly. I think this is another mystery of the art world solved. About the phd- there really is no need when you have the right hsitorical texts to hand from which you can obtain the symbolism to apply to such works of art. Knowledge and not qualifications are the key.

I have also made another interesting observation regarding this piece in comparison with the last. If you notice, the chakkar on the dastaar, much like the warriors assault rifle does not have a star- would you care to commentate on this fascinating feature?

In the work of art the khalsa warrior we concluded that a star meant that the weapon had been used, however this theory was countered on the basis that the ak47 rifle was not really a rifle but instead a bailna shooter....i think we should use the correct terminology! blush.gif However, this is besides the point...cud it be that to attain such a spritual state the singhnee had to fight many battles internally and externally that her chakar got sooo many stars on them, you can see them. This is one interpretation proposed by numerous scholars in this field, however, it is not conclusive and owes more to speculation rather than fact in my opinion. A counter theory that has been suggested is that the singhnee....has a star on her one true weapon.....faith and prayer....so rather than having a external star, she has a internal star on her soul which has been blessed with mukhti :nihungsmile:

hmmmm thats posible however, I still feel that the internal star theory links in well with what we have already found out. In my opinion i do not think that the singhnee has a star on her chakar as the shape looks more like a khanda or chand tohra, however, maybe the khanda/chand tohra are being used as a metaphor for a star. As I said before....nothing is how it seems