Kalgi On Weddings

jivan

Wearing a Kalgi (a plume) on one’s turban signifies that the person is a royal person, a king and a person with great

responsibility and respect.

Unfortunately in recent years people have been following the practice of putting a Kalgi on the groom’s turban on the wedding day, which is ceremoniously removed in the Diwaan Hall in the Gurdwara Sahib by the groom’s sisters.

Is wearing a Kalgi in accordance to Gurmat, the Guru’s way?

Could you wear a Kalgi on your turban and walk inside the Golden Temple and not be stopped by fellow Sikhs or sewadaars?

Is wearing a Kalgi in the house of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, our King who we call ‘Kalgiaa(n)vala’ (the one who wear’s the plume) not a great act of disrespect?

If the groom is a king like Guru Gobind Singh ji, then by all means wear a Kalgi on the turban.

If the groom can carry us across to Waheguru like Guru Gobind Singh Ji, then by all means wear a Kalgi on the turban.

If the groom can do the same things which Guru Gobind Singh Ji done, which makes him worthy of being called ‘the one with Kalgi’ then by all means wear a Kalgi on the turban.

We must address this issue and educate ourselves.

We must understand that people and not the Gurus start these practices.

We must take action to stop any form of disrespect to the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the living speaking soul of the Ten Gurus.

http://panthic.org/news/132/ARTICLE/1138/2...502aa9d13222725

we should wear khandas on our wedding days and not any kalgi.

i heard this and jus wanted to know what are your views

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I do not have an answer to your question my knowledge is limited but I have another question for you. . .

Since Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us his roop through the Khalsa by wearing the same colours the 5 K's etc which Guru Ji too accepted through the Amrit Sanchaar, then is it not in some way a sign of respect to wear the kalgi and show that you are a son of the Guru Ji???

I am not saying a believe this, I am saying that it is a possible way of looking at the subject. Obviously many men are unworthy of the kalgi just as many men wear a dastaar (turban) and keep their beard but still drink and smoke. These people are unworthy of Guru Ji's saroop and so am I, but those who are worthy, who are blessed by Waheguru with naam and sewa it is really wrong for them to wear it???

But in saying that, if you wear the kalgi and believe that you are 'worthy' you are Gurmukh enough to wear it then are you not full of ego and therefore truly are not worthy of it. I think in this manner one should be humble enough to understand that they have faults, we are all sinners and therefore we can never fully do justice to Guru Gobind Singh Ji, we can only try.

I'm not sure, it looks nice, but maybe it isn't right but then again the fact that it's removed in the Darbaar Sahib shows that the groom is nothing in comparison to Guru Ji.

I hope I have not written anything wrong or offended anyone if I have please forgive me as you would your little sister, I am anjaan.

Guru Fateh Ji

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I do not have an answer to your question my knowledge is limited but I have another question for you. . .

Since Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us his roop through the Khalsa by wearing the same colours the 5 K's etc which Guru Ji too accepted through the Amrit Sanchaar, then is it not in some way a sign of respect to wear the kalgi and show that you are a son of the Guru Ji???

I am not saying a believe this, I am saying that it is a possible way of looking at the subject. Obviously many men are unworthy of the kalgi just as many men wear a dastaar (turban) and keep their beard but still drink and smoke. These people are unworthy of Guru Ji's saroop and so am I, but those who are worthy, who are blessed by Waheguru with naam and sewa it is really wrong for them to wear it???

But in saying that, if you wear the kalgi and believe that you are 'worthy' you are Gurmukh enough to wear it then are you not full of ego and therefore truly are not worthy of it. I think in this manner one should be humble enough to understand that they have faults, we are all sinners and therefore we can never fully do justice to Guru Gobind Singh Ji, we can only try.

I'm not sure, it looks nice, but maybe it isn't right but then again the fact that it's removed in the Darbaar Sahib shows that the groom is nothing in comparison to Guru Ji.

I hope I have not written anything wrong or offended anyone if I have please forgive me as you would your little sister, I am anjaan.

Guru Fateh Ji

89731[/snapback]

Its all become a sham ceremony and photogrpahy moment. What utter nonesense, some idiots even remove it and leave the used kalgi as an offering for Guru Ji. I mean how stupid can you get you dont offer used things to Guru Ji.

Most wedding I have seen the sisters will gather around to remove the kalgi and have a few photos, in India I went to a wedding and the brother in law removed it, I asked a few people they said it was tradition for the boys brother in law (sisters husband) to remove the Kalgi in India. I did ask the family to remove the kalgi before they went into the Guru Ghar but they said it is ceremony to remove in front of Guru (news to me I did not know we had such ceremonies as part of the Anand Karaj).

Kurtas, I completely agree with you that it is a sham. In actual fact almost all of the things we take part in during weddings are a sham. The Anand Karaj was created as a simple ceremony and if you think about the fact that we all get overly dressed up on the day and the bride spend thousands of pounds on her outfit and jewellery none of this is what was intended for us.

Also thesedays the couple walk around Guru Ji 4 times but in the original Laavan the couple simply stand before GGSJ not do feray (circling) this has been adopted by from Hindu practise.

In addition to this during weddings people do maiyan, chuurah, mehndi, etc, etc and have parties doing bhangra and gidha, none of this is accepted by Sikhi but it all makes money for the Gurdwaray and Sport Centres so no-one puts a stop to it.

Also we celebrate Lohri in january, why?! Cos we're stupid. I mean talk about inequality!!! You only celebrate Lohri if a boy has been born or got married, what about the girls??? And where did all this throwing rice in a fire come from.

The kalgi is a sham but so is almost everything else we do because culture is too far mixed into religiona and the older generations refuse to understand and correct it.

The Lavan are suc a beautiful thing but have been turned into a show and a specticle or how beautiful you can look, how big your wedding is and how much money you have. I bet that the majority of couples never even took the time out to find out what each Lavan represents!

Bhul Chuk Maaf, I'm anjaan.

Guru Fateh Ji

89723[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

I agree with you on your topic, as it anti- Gurmat. :TH:

However why should you wear a Khanda on your wedding day?? grin.gif Do you mean the type Akhand Kirtani Jathebandeh usually wear ( not just them but stereotypically- to signify which type i'm on about ).

Or do you mean as in a Kharagh?? grin.gif

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Gurfateh!!

89723[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

I agree with you on your topic, as it anti- Gurmat. :TH:

However why should you wear a Khanda on your wedding day?? grin.gif Do you mean the type Akhand Kirtani Jathebandeh usually wear ( not just them but stereotypically- to signify which type i'm on about ).

Or do you mean as in a Kharagh?? grin.gif

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Gurfateh!!

89760[/snapback]

i think u should wear any khanda chand or normal ,they both are not anti gurmat