How to do seva of Sri Guru Granth Sahib - Protocols & Procedures

Akaali

Dharmik Pustak Gurbani Da Adab has been translated by sevadaars under the guidance of pooran naam abhiaasee singhs of Damdami Taksal.

The short book goes into great detail as to how Satkaar should be done of Gurbani and why. For clarification for some of the points raised in this thread, it is advised that you endeavour to buy this book and educate yourselves and those around you on how we, as Gursikhs, should treat our King of Kings.

The book will be available at the Sukhmani Sahib Akhand Jaap on Saturday 24th January at Nanaksar Gurdwara, Wolverhampton and is available from gupt@live.co.uk and through independant sevadaars at www.g5sikhmedia.com

Women should not sit in the Guru's Hazoori or do Chaur Sahib when they are menstruating.

Again this is for sucham. A bibi must not do any seva while on her period because any accident can happen at ANY time. i dont want to go into detail but satkaar and sucham for Guru Granth Sahib Jee must be kept at ALL times. Somebody else will have to do seva of Guru Sahib, full stop. alot of ppl will disagree, but there ya go.

Accidents can happen anytime...Ummm...How? :umm:

How can God hate it's own creation? Women don't WANT to have periods. They have them because it's God's law of nature.

ਜਿਉ ਜੋਰੂ ਸਿਰਨਾਵਣੀ ਆਵੈ ਵਾਰੋ ਵਾਰ

jio joroo siranaavanee aavai vaaro vaar ||

As a woman has her periods, month after month,

9 Aasaa Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੂਠੇ ਜੂਠਾ ਮੁਖਿ ਵਸੈ ਨਿਤ ਨਿਤ ਹੋਇ ਖੁਆਰੁ

joothae joothaa mukh vasai nith nith hoe khuaar ||

so does falsehood dwell in the mouth of the false; they suffer forever, again and again.

9 Aasaa Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੂਚੇ ਏਹਿ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਬਹਨਿ ਜਿ ਪਿੰਡਾ ਧੋਇ

soochae eaehi n aakheeahi behan j pinddaa dhhoe ||

They are not called pure, who sit down after merely washing their bodies.

9 Aasaa Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੂਚੇ ਸੇਈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਨ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਸੋਇ

soochae saeee naanakaa jin man vasiaa soe ||2||

Only they are pure, O Nanak, within whose minds the Lord abides. ||2||

10 Aasaa Guru Nanak Dev

By having periods, women don't become IMPURE. They have every right to be sitting in front of Maharaj Ji. God doesn't hate you when you are in pain or going through a natural time. He's the one who has created it. As Maharaj Ji clearly stated, ONLY those are pure within whose minds the Lord abides. Women with periods are not IMPURE, though people with dirty thoughts are. By calling women IMPURE you are just insulting Waheguru because he is their mother. Women came from him. They are his creation.

And accidents don't happen. There is protection. God has taken care of that too.

I wonder who makes all these SILLY rules. Sigh...

The only time Maharaj Ji may stop a woman from doing seva during this period of time is if she has menstrual pains. Why? Because he worries about his children and knows she might not have the energy to sit there doing Rual Sahib for that long. Not because he thinks she is impure. Look at the current state of our minds and still look at Maharaj Ji's never changing love. Waheguru!

I thought Sikhi believed in equality? Why should it matter?

• 4 months later...
Women should not sit in the Guru's Hazoori or do Chaur Sahib when they are menstruating.

Again this is for sucham. A bibi must not do any seva while on her period because any accident can happen at ANY time. i dont want to go into detail but satkaar and sucham for Guru Granth Sahib Jee must be kept at ALL times. Somebody else will have to do seva of Guru Sahib, full stop. alot of ppl will disagree, but there ya go.

Accidents can happen anytime...Ummm...How? :umm:

How can God hate it's own creation? Women don't WANT to have periods. They have them because it's God's law of nature.

ਜਿਉ ਜੋਰੂ ਸਿਰਨਾਵਣੀ ਆਵੈ ਵਾਰੋ ਵਾਰ

jio joroo siranaavanee aavai vaaro vaar ||

As a woman has her periods, month after month,

9 Aasaa Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੂਠੇ ਜੂਠਾ ਮੁਖਿ ਵਸੈ ਨਿਤ ਨਿਤ ਹੋਇ ਖੁਆਰੁ

joothae joothaa mukh vasai nith nith hoe khuaar ||

so does falsehood dwell in the mouth of the false; they suffer forever, again and again.

9 Aasaa Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੂਚੇ ਏਹਿ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਬਹਨਿ ਜਿ ਪਿੰਡਾ ਧੋਇ

soochae eaehi n aakheeahi behan j pinddaa dhhoe ||

They are not called pure, who sit down after merely washing their bodies.

9 Aasaa Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੂਚੇ ਸੇਈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਨ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਸੋਇ

soochae saeee naanakaa jin man vasiaa soe ||2||

Only they are pure, O Nanak, within whose minds the Lord abides. ||2||

10 Aasaa Guru Nanak Dev

By having periods, women don't become IMPURE. They have every right to be sitting in front of Maharaj Ji. God doesn't hate you when you are in pain or going through a natural time. He's the one who has created it. As Maharaj Ji clearly stated, ONLY those are pure within whose minds the Lord abides. Women with periods are not IMPURE, though people with dirty thoughts are. By calling women IMPURE you are just insulting Waheguru because he is their mother. Women came from him. They are his creation.

And accidents don't happen. There is protection. God has taken care of that too.

I wonder who makes all these SILLY rules. Sigh...

The only time Maharaj Ji may stop a woman from doing seva during this period of time is if she has menstrual pains. Why? Because he worries about his children and knows she might not have the energy to sit there doing Rual Sahib for that long. Not because he thinks she is impure. Look at the current state of our minds and still look at Maharaj Ji's never changing love. Waheguru!

I thought Sikhi believed in equality? Why should it matter?

I disagree. I believe anyone can do seva for our piara guru. It is very islamic to ban women to do sewa during her periods. No one should not be allowed to do guru maharaj's sewa during certain times.

Also, washing your hands 5 times sounds ritualistic. If one washes once twice 5 times, 100 times is up to him/her. It's up to him/her how clean the hands should be. End of the day, it no use how cleam your hands are but your minds is full of filth.

After sex, I believe a person should bathe. But washing hair is quite unnessasery. The same can be said about masturbation. Some sikhs would say it is natural without indulging in sex. Especially tenagers. End of the day, depends on us.

I think, we have to know how to respect maharaj, without going ritualistic. I know one sikh who has a prakash at home and plays kirtan in the room where maharaj is the whole day. That is not in maryada, but utter most respect, isnt it?

Sikhism has always said, everyting is in the mind. Kaam, karod, lobh, moh, hangkaar is in the mind, and we control it from the mind. Other religions like islam, christianity, try to control the outer actions. Example, islam will say, dont steal (which is an action), but sikhism say dont have greed (which is a state of mind). By controlling greed, we wont steal and free ourself from maya. Christians says dont rape, have extramaritial sex, Sikhism says control your lust, and all the other probem will go away.

So, in summary, the mind is first. The rest comes naturally.

So, how does the mind get tune. Simple- Take guru ji to be your emperor of emperors. To be the highest supreme king. Then, all respect comes.

wjkk wjkf.

Guest G.Kaur

Impurity and Women

Sunday 23rd of October 2005

Singhnee's Corner Staff Writer

(KP) -

One day I was sitting with my aunty ji whom I respected very much and thought she knew more than me about Sikh way of life. Well what happened was, she randomly started talking about women and their menses. She said it was a curse for women. She told my sister and me a story about how we women were cursed. I laughed because few weeks ago another panji/sister had just told me during Asa di // meaning of the Gurbani which is discussed in one of the next sections. I didn't say anything at that time, because I my self was new to the path, and felt uncomfortable arguing with an older person. The story she told us was passed down by my aunt's mother and what made it more interesting was that my aunt's mother was amritdhari. Then it made sense why my aunt took the story so seriously, without ever considering other sources to find out the truth.

We tend to believe whatever an older person, especially amritdhari (Guru-roop) says. They, because of the respect and trust we have in Khalsa, to us seem like the best resource. It should be that way, but what we forget to do is, has the person explained to us in terms of what Gurbani says on the topic/issue.

There are a lot of women out there who do not feel comfortable doing Seva especially during their menses. A main example is sitting on the 'tabiyaa' (Guru Ji's hazoori) during this time. This topic is not frequently talked about as women themselves think they are "dirty". Why do they think they are "dirty"? The above mentioned incident should explain the reason.

There is no rule in Sikhi where it mentions not being able to pray unlike in Islam where women cannot fast or pray during this time. Why can a woman not undertake the duty of Paath because of a specific time of a month? It is not restricted to a specific number of weeks a month. It is sad to say, but most of us who call ourselves Sikhs don't know the teaching of our own Guru Sahib Jis. Also there are not as many Granthee women as there are men, which lead us to think that "may be" men are the only ones who should do this seva.

By some unaware/unconscious people, woman is still labeled "impure". Well lets talk about what impurity really is? The answers are all in Gurbaani and it is clearly stated that "Sootak", impurity or pollution is in those who do not have the Lord's name dwelling in their mind.

ਸੂਤਕਿ ਕਰਮ ਨ ਪੂਜਾ ਹੋਇ ॥

The actions of those who do not worship the Lord are polluted.

The womb of woman that sheds the egg periodically is responsible for new life on earth and in this womb the Lord places the soul:

ਮਾਤ ਗਰਭ ਮਹਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਿਆ ॥

He cherished and preserved you in your mother's womb;

ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਦੇ ਸਾਜਿ ਸਵਾਰਿਆ ॥

He blessed you with body and soul, and embellished you.

A woman is responsible for giving birth to all human life and nurturing it:

ਉਦਰ ਸੰਜੋਗੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਮਾਤਾ ॥

The womb of the great mother earth gives birth to all

Furthermore, some individuals forbid taking Amrit during menses. Giving this a thought, if the Lord created Raakt, and it is considered impurity, what about the rest of the creation? We all are born from it, (so in a sense we all are impure, and no one can ever be pure enough to take amrit or do seva. That is what Christians believe, isn't it that you are born as a "sinner"? Are we implying the same thing? This way we all are impure, and we all should totally stop doing seva. Is this what Sikhi/Guru sahib ji is saying to us? We would if Guru Sahib Jis didn't have anything to say about this, but He has. Every human life is made out of her Rakt Bundh and this does not make them impure. Women should accept the fact that it does not make a difference in the Love and devotion of serving the Lord. For she is pure if her mind is filled with True Love (for the Lord Vaheguru). It's the state of mind. This is not only true for women, but for men as well. Seva is essential part of a Sikh's spiritual life and if we deny that one of the most important aspect of Sikhi to a particular "gender" we will be doing injustice to the human kind as a whole, in addition we will be going against our own Gurus who are our only support in life. Thus, the Guru's teachings that we so dearly were trying to keep intact, we our selves would be destroying it by not letting Kaur do seva at anytime. We will be taking away one of the right, which only our Guru Ji gave to the humankind. It's our choice, either we keep the distorted belief we have and not let our daughters/sisters/wives do seva, or do as per Guru sahib ji's hukum and let Kaurs follow Guru Sahib Ji's hukum and make the janam safla (fulfill the life's purpose). The importance of women is stated inRaag Aasaa on Angg 473 by Guru Nanak Dev Ji:

ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਮੰਦਾ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਜੰਮਹਿ ਰਾਜਾਨ ॥

So why call her bad? From her, kings are born.

ਭੰਡਹੁ ਹੀ ਭੰਡੁ ਊਪਜੈ ਭੰਡੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

From woman, woman is born; without woman, there would be no one at all.

Panthic Weekly

http://www.panthic.org/news/133/ARTICLE/1907/2005-10-23.html