What Do you learn or gain from Nagar Kirtan?

To give my most honest opinion, I don't learn anything from them, but it would be great to see some changes so I can actually learn something :TH:

It would be nice to learn about Sikhi rather than people advertising their businesses and handing out flyers.

It would be nice if the youth was more involved.

It would be nice if people had more respect and treated it as a Gurudwara instead of a place of celebration where people are all involved in talking about latest gossip instead of paying attention to what the point of a Nagar Kirtin is suposed to be.

I learn that mostly rumbles kick off with the pakis, and you know what that just ruins that whole thing for us, and when a rumble happens my sangat that i hang round with get mashed (like drunk and buzzin) and they start to kick of with pakies in the night, and you and i both know this is wrong, so you know.

nuff luv

What is the point?

- Nagar Kirtans originate from "Parbhaat Pheris"... Gursikhs would carry Vaaja, Chhainey, and Dholki and sing shabads early in the morining while walking around the whole village/city... A singh with a long Nishaan Sahib and the Kirtani would lead the singing procession... people would wake up and join the procession and join to sing shabads... the processions also gave oppurtunity to distribute relevant useful Gurmat literature to the public and share a positive image of the Guru's Khalsa. :doh:

Since 40 or 50 yrs (to my knowledge) we have started doing processions which include Guru Maharaaj's Sawaari (without Prakaash) and also Panj Pyaare leading the procession.

What do you learn?

Old style Nagar Kirtans / Parbhaat Pheris inspire people to sing Gurbaani, join Old style Nagar Kirtans give oppurtunity to:

1) Distribute LiteratureSangat and rally the community together. :TH:

2) Provide positive Gursikh role models and positive impression of Sikhs

3) Community spirit

4) Inspiring others to sing and understand Gurbaani

5) "Chant the Name of the Lord, and Inspire Others to Chant the Name of the Lord"

:doh:

Current day Nagar Kirtans:

You learn to:

1) Eat loads of pokarey, langar, jalebis, ladoos and anything else you can squeeze in your stomach. <_<

2) Wave Large and Small Nishaan Sahibs and have a laugh with your mates. no.gif

3) Decorate your car with Khandas and drive up and down the town looking for girls/boys. (shame, shame, shame) no.gif

Are they effective in regards to Gurmat (the Guru's teachings)?

- Today's Southall Nagar Kirtan, seemed very minimal in its effect of Gurmat on youngster.

- Kirtan being sung was the only Gurmat thing. blush.gif

- People were dancing, and stupidly waving their arms (like Bhangra artists do when singing a love song!) to Dharmic Songs about Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the Khalsa (Desi Radio float) - when i questioned them on their manmat, they sed they had permission of from the Parbandhaks and started kicking off with me and the Gursikh veers with me. :wub:

- People were roaming around with Khandas, Nishaan Sahibs and acting as if it was a street carnival. rolleyes.gif

TODAY's NAGAR KIRTAN = HAD NO POSITIVE EFFECT ON YOUNGSTERS (to my experience and understanding).... NO-ONE LEARNT ANYTHING ABOUT GURU JI, ABOUT KHALSA, ABOUT REHAT AND GURBAANI... NO-ONE WAS INSPIRED BY ANYTHING OR ANYONE. :wub:

We celebrate 306 years of the Khalsa Panth - but we do learn? how do we improve ourselves and what steps do we take to change and adjust our lives to become closer to Guru Ji and get the Kushee of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

bhul chuk maaf karnee ji.

FATEH!!

veerji dats a point spot on! not only on vaisakhi this is happining in normal day life. Lyk sundays = not 4 learning from the katha/hukamnama, but more lyk "wow dat fit gyal who just walked past..i want her number!" kinda thing.

Shame on these kinda peepz. But its quite nice 2 see that there r sum lit lamps of sikh youth alive 2day in western countries. Its Guru Ji's Kirpa this light is still lit.

Bhul chuk maaf, sorry if i offended ne1

FATEh!

I think the ideal purpose it serves is just to uplift and inspire the sangat. Although there may be many non-Gursikh people who use the Nagar Kirtan for other reasons (like some people said above), there are still hundreds of people who benefit from Nagar Kirtans, in my opinion at least. Many gursikhs dress up in bana and do it with sharda and prem and they get a buzz from seeing all the Khalsa sangat, hearing all the kirtan, all the orange and blue everywhere and it reminds everyone of 1699, and when they themselves were given Amrit. For those who havent been given Amrit yet, nagar kirtans may inspire them to come closer to taking this step.

It depends on what you do when youre there. If you stay around the Gurudwara or something and eat samosay the whole time, you may be more inclined to notice 'bad' things like the bibian who wear fancy red suits and whatever else. if youre walking in the nagar kirtan and soaking up in the sangat of gursikhs on the other hand, its a very different experience

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

Very valid question on the output of today's nagar kirtan. In India , we can see loads of nagar kirtans by various gurudwaras on various occasions.

The gurudwara even in the vicinity of 5 kms or less organized their own nagar kirtan , how we can be one or do any thing together where our name will go ??

Nagar kirtan for awarness/ parchar purpose is appreciable but you ask any non sikh person what he had learned / knows from this nagar kirtan ; most likely answers :

1. today there is some festivals of sikhs (u ask any sikh youth what is today history, believe me most of them may not tell jee).

2. there will be lot of eating stalls (where mostly no langar making or distribution marayads is taken care).

3. today wil be traffic jam so one more tension.

4. for most of the sikh youth its enjoy day, driver their bikes wrong side or brake all traffic rules (why not today is our day, we can do anything), a great date for some of them and good chance of new cupid hit.

5. good day for pick pocketers (thief) too.

6. for gurdwara committee its one of the primary n important expense item for their ledger.

Well i do not know when the day will come when we wil realized the actual requirement to promote / inspire sikhs and non sikhs for sikhi.

those who want to do something has nothing in their hands (financial & other powers) and those who are in position / power to do somethign are not willing to do so.

bhulla chukka dee maufai

waheguru jee ka khalsa waehguru jee kee fateh

bsbk123.... i agree.. i think you may find that even if you ask a "sikh" child.. "what does vaisakhi mean" .... they would give a similar response.

- food

- cruizing

- flags

- traffic

blush.gif

Time is precious... how much more time will we lose to educate and inspire the Youth?? Longer it takes, more and more youngsters will get disenchanted with Sikhi and think Sikhi is something which it is not. rolleyes.gif