LUDHIANA DURING BLUE STAR

LUDHIANA DURING BLUE STAR – AS WITNESSED BY A 14 YEAR OLD

I was in Punjab during the Operation Blue Star i.e. the army attack on Siri Harmandir Sahib – Amritsar Sahib. I was not yet 15 years old at the time of the attack. We lived in Ludhiana district of Punjab.

I remember that during the attack, the Sikh emotions suffered a lot. I did not come from a religious family but everyone I knew condemned this attack. The surprising side was that the non-Sikhs, especially the Hindus and the Jains, expressed open happiness at this attack. During the last week of May, there was a news that CRPF fired thousands of rounds of bullets in Darbar Sahib. The Singhs mostly kept restraint but as a result of their fire, 9 or 10 CRPF soldiers were killed. At that time we all knew that something very bad was about to happen in Punjab.

On the first of June or so, we noticed heavy presence of army all over Punjab. Then in a day or so, curfew was imposed in whole of Punjab. All newspapers were banned and Radio gave little indication of what was going on. This was my first time witnessing a curfew. Basically police could shoot anyone who came out of their houses. It was a very frightening sight. We would see military vehicles with machine guns in the back marching through the streets. No one was allowed to get out.

The curfew came without notice and as a result of this, people did not get any chance to stock up food and other necessities. All schools were shut and kids had to stay home. People were very worried about what was going to happen next. We all had some idea that there would be a massacre at Siri Darbar Sahib. I remember that all shops were closed and many people

were desperate, as there was no food available. After two days, they gave one hour relaxation of curfew and everyone flocked on the road to talk about what was going on.

As people started talking about the curfew and the political activities in Punjab, fierce debates engaged on the roads. Hindus and Sikhs were openly clashing (only verbally as far as I have seen). The Hindus were very happy that finally something was being done about Sant Bhindranwaale. The Sikhs were hurt as they felt that the government should never attack Siri Darbar Sahib. Punjab was rife with rumours like Pakistan was going to attack India, and that they were going to throw bombs in Punjab to destroy the Sikhs etc. Everyone was just plain scared.

During this one hour relaxation of curfew, I met other teenagers of my age. I remember that my Hindu friends were openly supportive of the military action and this was enraging myself and my Sikh friends. We were all standing in the park in form of a circle when the Jain guy and the Hindu guys were spitting venomous comments about the Sikhs. These venomous comments were causing even moderate and non-religious Sikhs like me to get angry. I was not even a keshadhaari back then and used to cut hair. Even I felt anger. I honestly believe that the negative attitude of the Hindus was a big contributor in the rise of militancy in Punjab. The humiliation was just too much for the Sikhs to sustain.

On the nights of June 5 through June 10, several interviews were relayed by TV, trying to pacify the Sikhs who were angry at this action. I still remember that the first edition by Punjabi Ajit newspaper in India, was so emotionally-moving. The editor Sardar Sadhu Singh Hamdard literally wrote the article in his blood. It is said that he was deeply moved by the plight of the Sikhs and the destruction of Siri Akaal Takhat Sahib. Few weeks later he breathed his last.

After we went back to school after a week or so, we witnessed seriously bad attitude from our Hindu veers. The Christi

ans, Hindus, Jains all sided against the Sikhs and supported the government. Many fights occurred in the schools as a result of this. Punjabis were divided into two groups – Sikhs and non-Sikhs.

The Sikhs were very angry that Santa Singh Nihung had taken over the repairing of Siri Akal Takhat. The Sikhs were very angry at this decision. Three Sikh students at my school got so upset that they decided to beat up Santa Singh. They ran away from their homes in Ludhiana and went to Amritsar Sahib. Their parents were looking for them and came to me. I did not know of their plans but indicated that they were going to Amritsar to beat up Santa Singh. Their parents went to Amritsar Sahib and caught them just outside Darbar Sahib. This is just one incident to prove how upset a common Sikh was. Thousands of such incidents occurred in Punjab.

ASSASSINATION OF INDIRA GANDHI

After the Blue Star, a lot of Sikhs were predicting that God would punish Indira. After she was killed by her body guards, a very strange situation was witnessed by the Sikhs. I saw the Sikhs were openly celebrating her death but this celebration was only short-lived. News of the massacre of the Sikhs in Delhi and Kanpur took away all happiness of her death. Then the Hindus were celebrating.

We went back to school after a week of mourning and a very interesting incident happened there. The whole school was assembled in the park and the teachers asked us to rise and pray for the soul of Indira Gandhi. I kept sitting and many other Sikh students did not get up. The principal and the teachers saw all this. They ordered us to get up but we continued to stay seated. Later we were called in the principal’s office and severely scolded. I told my principal that I did not think Indira deserved my prayers. They never forgive us for this and finally I along with 3 more Sikh students were thrown out of the school. We had a hard time because no school was willing to accept an expelled student.

The eighties were the years from hell

. Punjab probably never saw such communal atmosphere after 1947. May Guru Sahib do kirpa on Punjab. I think many Hindus have now realized that it was wrong for them to celebrate the attack on Siri Darbar Sahib. Punjabi Hindus realize that being Punjabis they are more close to the Sikhs of Punjab than they are with non-Punjabi Hindus. Sikhs have been protecting and fighting for the Hindu survival all for hundreds of years and for Hindus to return this favour by celebrating the attack on Darbar Sahib was plain wrong. They should have been mourning like the Sikhs because many Punjabi Hindus believe in ten Gurus and Gurbani.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...1&i=1801&t=1801

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!! :nihungsmile:

they must have been happy that the schools shut down... j/k

im glad him and other 3 students ddnt stand up to pray for Indhra Gandhi, the kid was fearless, this is what all Sikhs should be like.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

:g RAZ

Guest Guest
Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!! :nihungsmile:

they must have been happy that the schools shut down... j/k

im glad him and other 3 students ddnt stand up to pray for Indhra Gandhi, the kid was fearless, this is what all Sikhs should be like.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

:g RAZ

"they must have been happy that the schools shut down... j/k"

Not a suitable joke for this topic.

• 2 years later...

Thats probabll cuz jainism is no more its been swallowed up by hindu nationalism.

Anyways we have to rmeber even in punjab the media made out sant jarnail singh khalsa bhindranwale as a terrorist, hence the happy emotional outcry of our castebound hindu brothers, if they knew the truth they probably wouldnt be so happy, we will know the truth when we die, all who lie will be punishd in the afterife.

• 11 months later...

Just read this real life account.

I spoke to an elderly Sikh from Punjab the other day and asked him how come the Singhs couldn't attack the army from the outside of Darbar Sahib during Operation Bluestar. He explained to me how strong the army curfew was back then and that there were attempts but the army shot on site.

I remember faintly being a 6yr old kid in amritsar during operation bluestar. We used to go to wagah border for retreat ceremony and salute the soldiers there. When the curfew was imposed crpf were given shoot at sigh orders. Me and couple of other siblings were playing in our "gully" when we heard some soldiers passing main road. we rushed to salute them, unaware of political situation, only to run back and being chased by some of those crpf guys pointing their guns at us. If we had stood there a second more they might have shot us.

Also after the operation i went with my parents to golden temple and saw tank marks on floor. I used to ask my parents why indira gandhi is not our prime minister. and remember ppl listening to sant jarnail singhji's tapes at night. Operation bluestar was bad, but the worst was the way it was burried. Until you leave india you cannot get the true picture of events that happened.