Amrinder's contact with Khalistan sympathisers

It would be good to get some views from Sikhs in Canada on the news article below.

Did Capt. Amrinder Singh meet Khalistan sympathisers in Canada?

If so, is it in the public domain what was discussed? If not, why not?

What is the official response from Sikhs in Canada in the media to Capt. Amrinder's damning statement that "no such activity" [Khalistan activity] is going on there now?

Is he referring to Dixie Gurdwara or Canada in general? Either way it would make sense for Sikhs in Canada to respond via the media (not just the Panjabi press, but the English media and the Internet - such as on Panthic Weekly).

Amrinder admits visiting Pro-Khalistan places in Canada

By Balesh Dhankhar

New Delhi, May 30 (ANI): Punjab Chief Minister Capt. Amarinder Singh admits today that he had visited to one time Pro-Khalistan places in Canada, while returning from an official foreign tour.

There were many reports in local media about his meeting with Khalistan sympathises in Canada and visiting such places. Though Singh denied that any such activity is going on there now. "Our Sikh community there invited us to the Toronto's biggest Dixie Gurdwara. At the time such activities (Khalistan related) were there but nothing is there now," Capt. Singh said.

Singh was returning from an eight-day foreign tour to Canada and France to promote foreign investment in Punjab. Several other ministers and secretaries of State government accompanied him. The Chief Minister he attended 23 meetings, which resulted in 'by-and-large successful visit'.

"Most of the investors are interested in the sectors like bio-tech, power, roads, textile and housing beside IT," Capt. Singh said while briefing about his tour of Toronto and Vancouver. "To felicitate the foreign investors we have constituted a high power committee in my chairmanship which will look after all mega-projects of more than 100 crores of investment," he added.

A high power delegation of 21 people will come from the two Canadian cities in October this year expectedly to see the opportunities of investment here, Singh said. Apart from the delegation many individuals who are interested in investing in Punjab are also approaching the State Government, he added.

A show of small-scale industry 'Made in Punjab' was also organised at Toronto by NGOs from Chandigarh, which was a countable success. (ANI)

Regardless of Amrinder Singh being pro or con khalistani.. Whatever he is.. he is doing A BETTER job than any other Punjab CM did in several Decades.. i think i will rate him as 8 out of 10 !!

One thing is that he only wants to promote and upgrade area/region close to his home.. (patiala area.. non mjahey area).. Don't know why.. but still he is good guy !!

Regardless of Amrinder Singh being pro or con khalistani.. Whatever he is.. he is doing A BETTER job than any other Punjab CM did in several Decades.. i think i will rate him as 8 out of 10 !!

One thing is that he only wants to promote and upgrade area/region close to his home.. (patiala area.. non mjahey area).. Don't know why.. but still he is good guy !!

100697[/snapback]

let me put it this way..if he ever was good??..he wouldnt be apart of the congresss..becuz all the congress has given our religion is hell..nuthing but hell..gurfateh

hahah.. Do you ever talk about other stuff except khalistan? jk bruv.. So back to the topic.. so he should have join BJP.. oh wait that's bad party too killing muslim.. no no no.. Maybe he should have joined badal party, oh wait he is bad guy too.. Or maybe he should remain in his palace and join sikhsangat forum and talk about how things are bad and ppls are messing around and blame all parties and then later enjoy his day.. that wouldn't be bad huh?

Guest rsingh

I understand where veeris commin from on this. its been discussed before, they shouldnt join congress and i agree. but they cant join BJP so what do they do. set up a 3rd party. But if we look bak and look at now then we will see that a 3rd way pary have never been able to win. you have Simranjeet SIngh Mann but even he cant win even if sikhs in western countries support him. its all about the bigger "lifaffa." wacko.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Picture from Sanjh Savera Weekly.

"Khalistan Zindabad" slogan in the photo from Dixie Gurdwara suggests Capt. Amrinder Singh's statement may be a little misleading.

100415[/snapback]

Good the photo appears to have been to use:

Punjab CM’s speech at ‘separatists' hub’ in Canada triggers controversy

CHANDIGARH: The presence of Punjab Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh at a Canadian gurdwara known for being a hub of separatists and his speech right under the slogan of ‘Khalistan Zindabad’ has triggered a controversy in political circles here.

A photograph procured by this website’s newspaper shows the Chief Minister addressing a congregation, with the tell-tale slogan, at the Dixie Gurdwara, once considered the nerve centre of militancy in Canada.

Last fortnight, Punjab Police slapped several cases against radical Akali leader Simranjit Singh Maan and others for raising the demand for Khalistan at Golden Temple, Amritsar, on June 6 and later at Mehta Chowk. The Chief Minister had been slamming Mann and other supporters of ‘Khalistan’.

Recently Amarinder had said in public that he would not allow any Khalistanis to push Punjab into another bloody phase of terrorism, like the one witnessed in the 1980s and ‘90s.

Before the Chief Minister went to Dixie Gurdwara on the evening of May 20, radio channels had announced his visit. A large number of Sikhs had turned up.

After taking a round of the gurdwara and offering prayers, Amarinder addressed the gathering. He spoke on Sikh-related issues and said that because of lack of time he could not be with them for long. He, however, reportedly, did not mention ‘Khalistan’ during his address.

Meanwhile, Shiromani Akali Dal (Mann) on Tuesday demanded the CM’s arrest and resignation on the issue. Addressing a press conference, the legal advisor of the party, Ranjan Lakhanpal, said Simranjit Singh Mann had been arrested on similar charges.

Releasing the photographs of Amarinder, Lakhanpal said: ‘‘There cannot be two laws for two persons.’’ He alleged that Amarinder and SAD (B) chief Parkash Singh Badal had raised similar demands for ‘Khalistan’ and had even submitted a memorandum to the then UN secretary general, Boutros Boutros Ghali.

‘‘If Mann, who has always condemned terrorism and militancy, has been arrested, then by the same yardstick both Amarinder and Badal should be arrested,’’ said Lakhanpal.

Former CM Badal also lashed out at Amarinder, saying he’s always been in league with Khalistani elements and hence he made it a point to cater to such sentiments in Canada. ‘‘Here too, he is in league with his brother-in-law, Mann, and both had joined hands to disturb peace and communal harmony in the state.’’

He added: ‘‘Is it not surprising that the only gurdwara that Amarinder visited was the one under the control of Khalistanis.’’

MP Sukhbir Singh Badal said the visit proved that Amarinder was pandering to separatist elements for narrow political gains.

I had not planned the visit: CM

When asked about the controversy after his return from Canada, Amarinder had told reporters that his visit to the gurdwara was not pre-planned.

He said he was on his way to some other place but the management of the gurdwara had invited him to offer prayers.

The Chief Minister, who is a vocal opponent of ‘Khalistan’, said he had gone there as an ordinary Sikh. He said he was totally opposed to ‘Khalistan’.

http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?I...Stories&Topic=0