A story of keeping KESH w/ pics

• 1 month later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Wahegurur Ji Ki Fateh.

you remind me of....me :wub: anyways; i had a lot of hard times and stuff cuz of me wearing a Dastar. (*note*: I am a girl who wears a Dastar.) Ppl at school used to stare and stuff but then more and more Punjabi Ppl who had Kesh came into my school, so i felt better. so i took Amrit when i was in Grade 5 (on Vasakhi) and then i changed 3 schools after that. the most problems i got was in the school that i go to now. i now go to M.D. High School. i am the only person who wears a Dastar in my school. i have many friends. i thought it would be really hard for me to make friends in M.D. but i made like the best friends ever! so yeah...most guys dont say anyhitng to me cuz i think theyre scared of me. but there is one guy named josh who wont leave me alone. just like you i was once in art class, and one of my friends threw a piece of clay at the guy who doesnt leave me alone. the guy turned around and then thought it was me cuz i told him a few days before that if he ever throws something at me again, i would kick his *ss. so he started to swear at me as soon as he got near his table (which was close by me), and he also started to get his clay ready for throwing at me. before he started i told him "You can throw however many you like, but it's not going to change me in any way.". so then he started. my friends at my table kept telling me to fight back and to use my fists cuz they know that i practice karate and Gatka, but i said "no. if i fight back, it'll only be after he hits my Dastar."...so he kept throwing but kept issing, and he wasnt even more than 4 or 5 metres away from me. (he was standing up, and i was sitting down.) i just sat there, counting out loud (so that everyone in the classroom would hear me) the number of times he threw the pieces of clay at me. he threw abt (about) 15 (sry, i cant remember) at me and only hit me once on the arm and once on my neck. since i was counting out loud, everyone knew how many times he threw the pieces of clay at me and also how many times the pieces actually hit me. the really funny thing is that i wasnt even moving a bit in my chair and i just let the pieces fly by me. (this guy is a baseball player just to let you know.) when he ran out of pieces of clay, i got up and said really calmy "I thought you play baseball Josh." and he said "Yeah; so?" and then i said "Well if you play baseball, then shouldnt you have hit me more than just two times, or are just on the team cuz they just needed an extra guy?" and then he told me to shut-up, so i said "Whats wrong now? You got nothing to say back to a Sikh girl right? You cant even throw anything at me while im not even moving a bit!" and then he picked up 2 pieces of clay and then threw one which didnt hit me. the second one he threw hit my Dastar, so i got steamed up bad! i told my friend beside me to break of pieces of clay from my art work and to pass them to me. he started to say "But, youre almost finished the sculpture." i just gave him one serious look, and he started to break the pieces off of my art work and started to hand them to me. i told him to just give me 3 pieces, and he did. then i told josh to stand still and give me a chance to throw something at him. i also that if he moved, he would prove that he he's a weakling. so he didnt move and i started to throw the clay pieces at him. surprisingly, i hit all 3 of them above his waist and he started to swear at me. i let him speak all he wanted. and then when he saw that i was saying anything, he said "Now you have nothing to say.". so i told him "I have a lot to say, but I'll only say some of what's on my mind right now, otherwise you wont stop crying. You should really get to work Josh. Even art class can be extremely difficult for some people. Aren't you supposed to be in university or sometihng, cuz you're like 22 years old aren't you?...*pause*...Why aren't you speakin now? Huh? Are you too ashamed or somthing? That's what I thought." then he olt me to shut-up so i said "What? You really have nothing to say right now, so i suggest you to just go back to your seat and actually get some work done cuz you have like a 25% in this class." he said something to himself and then just sat down. so i really showed him. now he's scared of me. :wub:

this is something that happened to me..and i have many other stories, but thanx for sharing yours with us bro. it was really touching and i wish i knew you so that i could also have Darshan (blessing(s)) from you. keep it going and hold your head high like we're all supposed as Amrit-Dharis. youre a really good role-model. God Bless You and your family.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Whaeguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Wahegurur Ji Ki Fateh.

you remind me of....me :wub: anyways; i had a lot of hard times and stuff cuz of me wearing a Dastar. (*note*: I am a girl who wears a Dastar.) Ppl at school used to stare and stuff but then more and more Punjabi Ppl who had Kesh came into my school, so i felt better. so i took Amrit when i was in Grade 5 (on Vasakhi) and then i changed 3 schools after that. the most problems i got was in the school that i go to now. i now go to M.D. High School. i am the only person who wears a Dastar in my school. i have many friends. i thought it would be really hard for me to make friends in M.D. but i made like the best friends ever! so yeah...most guys dont say anyhitng to me cuz i think theyre scared of me.  but there is one guy named josh who wont leave me alone. just like you i was once in art class, and one of my friends threw a piece of clay at the guy who doesnt leave me alone. the guy turned around and then thought it was me cuz i told him a few days before that if he ever throws something at me again, i would kick his *ss. so he started to swear at me as soon as he got near his table (which was close by me), and he also started to get his clay ready for throwing at me. before he started i told him "You can throw however many you like, but it's not going to change me in any way.". so then he started. my friends at my table kept telling me to fight back and to use my fists cuz they know that i practice karate and Gatka, but i said "no. if i fight back, it'll only be after he hits my Dastar."...so he kept throwing but kept issing, and he wasnt even more than 4 or 5 metres away from me. (he was standing up, and i was sitting down.) i just sat there, counting out loud (so that everyone in the classroom would hear me) the number of times he threw the pieces of clay at me. he threw abt (about) 15 (sry, i cant remember) at me and only hit me once on the arm and once on my neck. since i was counting out loud, everyone knew how many times he threw the pieces of clay at me and also how many times the pieces actually hit me. the really funny thing is that i wasnt even moving a bit in my chair and i just let the pieces fly by me. (this guy is a baseball player just to let you know.) when he ran out of pieces of clay, i got up and said really calmy "I thought you play baseball Josh." and he said "Yeah; so?" and then i said "Well if you play baseball, then shouldnt you have hit me more than just two times, or are just on the team cuz they just needed an extra guy?" and then he told me to shut-up, so i said "Whats wrong now? You got nothing to say back to a Sikh girl right? You cant even throw anything at me while im not even moving a bit!" and then he picked up 2 pieces of clay and then threw one which didnt hit me. the second one he threw hit my Dastar, so i got steamed up bad! i told my friend beside me to break of pieces of clay from my art work and to pass them to me. he started to say "But, youre almost  finished the sculpture." i just gave him one serious look, and he started to break the pieces off of my art work and started to hand them to me. i told him to just give me 3 pieces, and he did. then i told josh to stand still and give me a chance to throw something at him. i also that if he moved, he would prove that he he's a weakling. so he didnt move and i started to throw the clay pieces at him. surprisingly, i hit all 3 of them above his waist and he started to swear at me. i let him speak all he wanted. and then when he saw that i was saying anything, he said "Now you have nothing to say.". so i told him "I have a lot to say, but I'll only say some of what's on my mind right now, otherwise you wont stop crying. You should really get to work Josh. Even art class can be extremely difficult for some people. Aren't you supposed to be in university or sometihng, cuz you're like 22 years old aren't you?...*pause*...Why aren't you speakin now? Huh? Are you too ashamed or somthing? That's what I thought." then he olt me to shut-up so i said "What? You really have nothing to say right now, so i suggest you to just go back to your seat and actually get some work done cuz you have like a 25% in this class." he said something to himself and then just sat down. so i really showed him. now he's scared of me. :wub:

this is something that happened to me..and i have many other stories, but thanx for sharing yours with us bro. it was really touching and i wish i knew you so that i could also have Darshan (blessing(s)) from you. keep it going and hold your head high like we're all supposed as Amrit-Dharis. youre a really good role-model. God Bless You and your family.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Whaeguru Ji Ki Fateh.

115538[/snapback]

:wub: :wub:

very inspiring and touching stories! thank you for sharing!!!!!!!!

As a white girl who aspires to someday wear a keski... i know its difficult... my family (catholic) will probably get all gupshup and blabber and ask Why do you need to wear that... not required... la la la... they'll think i went fanatical or something... i cant imagine family reunions... they'll just all stare and stuff. Im sad to say, but there are racists in my own family, and i really hate it.

But some day, hopefully soon... I'm going to wear it, and take amrit, and stand up and say... Yes - I'm a Sikh. (get over it kind of thing) lolol

post-3631-1125367281.jpgpost-3631-1125367438_thumb.jpgpost-3631-1125367475.jpg

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

That was an amazing story Veerji. :wub:

You've really inspired me. I am also in a similar situation except that my family is mostly hindu and anyone who is "sikh" is a mona.

I want to someday take Amrit as well and walk Guru Ji's path. I am practicing now, but it is hard because I am still trying to fight my man. I am a manmukh and cannot wait to become a Gurmukh. With Waheguru Ji's Kirpa.. hopefully the time will come. THANK YOU AGAIN.

For anyone who may perhaps be inspired by my small story these are three photographs depicting my journey so far.

My journey started exactly 3 years ago when I entered University. I grew up in a hindu household with sikh cousins and close friends who all cut their hair. I was really just exposed to "Punjabism".-RDB, Jazzy B, khandas, Punjabi Pride etc. However when I got into college, my whole perspective of sikhs changed. I met some real Chardi Kala GurSikhs who changed my life. I saw the way they lived it and how beatiful they made Sukh into Dukh, how they carried themselves without shame or fear, and were just beautiful unadulterated creations of God. Incredible....sigh :wub: Waheguru

On the first Vaisakhi parade I attended I went to an AKJ Kirtan where the Naam Simran and intensity of the Sangat BLEW me away! ohmy.gif This Panji took me there and took me home as well. We listened to paath in the car both ways with our heads covered ( something I was not used to doing outside of a Gurdwaara). I felt peace and calmness and noticed beauty of the world and within myself. I fell asleep to the Paath and had no idea what Guru Ji was saying. I had no understanding of Gurbani but the melifluous sound just grew on me.

I went back to my dorm room and immediately downloaded some paath. A few Gursikhs helped me out by giving me a Gutka to learn what Guru Ji was saying. I started teaching myself Gurmukhi, how to read and write punjabi, how to even SPEAK it because I grew up in a household where we only spoke HINDI!. :wub: @ I could understand Punjabi from relatives etc. but this was a task in its own! A month later I asked my friend to teach me to tie a dastaar. I wore it once and it felt like the WHOLE world was staring at me. It was great though. Mixed feelings.. I looked totally different.

I didn't start wearing my dastaar untill that summer when I started volunteering at the Sikh Coalition. I started wearing it on those days i did seva there, but didnt wear it on the others. I lived a duality for a long time. I stopped cutting my head hair but did all the rest most girls do. :wub:

My life was a mess. My parents started picking up on me working at the Coalition and found out by my cousin that I wore a " chaddar" on my head. They threatened to disown me and take me out of University. It was basically hell for a LONG time. I even wore my dastaar at home. It's crazy because I understand where my parents are coming from. ( I've been through LONG HORRIBLE arguments about why do we need religion at all? "JUST BE AN ATHEIST THERE IS NO GOD, BE UNIQUE AND DONT FOLLOW RELIGION, You were born an hindu and will die a Hindu, JUST BE A GOOD PERSON, Sikhism has a connotation of Terrorism, You LOOK ridiculous, no one will marry you, you wont get any jobs, none of us have respect for you, everyone is laughing at you") All of this from my family members. Waheguru Ji helped me a lot. A LOT. THANK YOU GURU JI FOR YOUR SUPPORT it's because of our Father I didn't give up completely.

I am no saint.. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I still am going through my internal battle.

I have stopped cutting my Kesh COMPLETELY and am practicing for Amrit.

I do not have complete support from anyone except the my Sikh Sangat.

Unforunately, we are alone in this world. Each individual is and Waheguru Ji's forces have put me in this situation to teach me.

I used to drink sometimes, and go clubbing doing stupid things. no.gif This was considered normal. My Sangat wasn't right then.

It is Waheguru Ji's kirpa that I have turned away from all of those things. I can't even believe that this is how my life is now. All my priorities have changed and I want a life of pureness, respect, love and seva with Guru Ji's grace always there by my side. even with no one to support you, YOU CAN DO IT. GURU JI WILL ALWAYS HAVE YOUR BACK.

I never imagined my life like this, sadly I used to feel bad for people who used to have kesh and dhari. Guru Ji has a weird way of teaching all of us. Waheguru Ji's forces are unpredictable, so stop planning and succumb to it. Naam is the only pleasure in the world, because Naam helps in all aspects of life to lead to a FRUITFUL one! pray.gif

Please have faith and always stay in Chardi Kala my brothers and sisters and please encourage and set an example for others to do so as well. It is through the examples of other Singhs and Singhnis and Waheguru Ji's Kirpa that I am where I am today!!! It works like a domino effect.

Ang Sang Waheguru!

my dear bhainjee radhikaur........you look WONDERFUL in the dastaar. keep it up. that's such an amazing transformation. Hey perhaps we should set up a transformation thread to inspire our youth... those gursikhs who were once monna/from other religions and are now sikhs can put up their pics and share their stories with youth.....admin?????? tongue.gif

Dear panji,

you look awesome with the dastaar, may guruji;s blessing always be with you .

by the way i guess i also was in the similar situation ... my whole khandans are modern ...till i find wht sikhi is about and fall in love with it. this is how i look like 7 months back and now.

My story goess like this , at my teens i was tought wht sikh was and wht is all about coz i used to stay with my grand parents but did not bother listening to them..my coursin sisters brothers non of them are with kesh .... so i also join them and going out clubbing ,

i use to be very heavy smoker ,drinker and did all kind of stuff in life , tried marijuana but did not really got hook to it .

i was intoduce to this guy call " baba " who use to do some paath and mool mantr in days just like akand paath ...i felt nice mind blowing and enjoy doing it till i madly follow him ..still was did not knew wht guru grant sahib ji is about... till he went out of track .. i was abuse by my family members saying that wht you got from him.. nonsence ... thats it, i started my mooj masti again.

Last year during guru JI GURPURAB i went to temple ...like family outing coz we use to say 3 time a year is enough to visit temple that is during new year , vasakhi and guru nanak birthday. when i walk in take my mattha and sit and ragis was doing kreetan ..thts when i felt something sharp poking in my head coz the kreetan the ragis was doing was ...: tu visarey ta saab ko lagu " and tum kero daya mere sahi i just fall in love with the kreetan automaticly my tears was just flowing till i have to walk out from the daarbar sahib.

the very next day i went back to temple iand ask gurujis help, day by day i am falling for sikhi and guru ji. i was introduce to book like bhai sahib rama singh ji from this forum and sangat jio all of you played a great roll in bringing me back to sikhi. thanks to all of the sangat :wub:

here i am still learning and will learn for ever ...with guru jis kirpa i started keeping my kesh and got all kind of names from my family friends and also some close ones who was dear to me started avoiding me ..hahahhahaa.day by day i use to do ardaas and whn ever i was down i will go and talk yto some gursikhs and they will always encourage me ..

mat these great AKJ sikhs and till today learning alot from them...and with guru ji,s kirpa my family also accept me wht i am and my brother also started keeping his kesh after seeing the changes in me...i pray to waheguru ji that for ever keep me in his sharan.... "charan saran gur eek penda jayeh chal, satgur kot penda ageh hoyeh leth hai"... pray.gif

post-3700-1125370076_thumb.jpg

post-3700-1125370110_thumb.jpg

Panji,

AWESOME IDEA! I think it would be great to have all of those who got into and got back into sikhi even those from Sikh households because each transformation is unique and amazing. :TH: :wub:

Guru Rakka Ji