Insulted in front of ALL sangat

sukhpaal

WJKK WJKF,

I was there when the incident happened...

2 yrs ago the Narinder Grewal incident happened, that has lots of sangat on the lookout, he was doing something similar while sitting in sangat, aswell as he ended up keeps 2 wives (one who was oringially married to someone else)...

So when someone is doing something similar, sitting in simran moving their hand, and than being surrounded by a bunch of girls, especially on the guys side of the darbar hall, people are going to be suspicious....

You probably had innocent intentions, but you have to realize what type of impression and image you were giving out to the sangat...

The girls should also realize there old enough to sit on the ladies side even if their mother is not there, as they all seemed to be in their teens...

since you say u had honest intentions, i hope this doesnt discourage you from the sikhi path... and i guess some valuable lessons can be learned ... keep your simran 'gupt' especially body movements, and guys and girls should sit in their proper sections...

and it seemed like there were 4-5 girls not 1 or 2

WJKK WJKF

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Kee Fateh

Sukhpal Ji, I feel for you, you are in a tough situation. But one thing I have to say, you must not abandon the gurudwara. You know your truth!!! Forget what they think, and meet your Guru. And please do not say that all Sikhs complain, for I know that would never happen in my Gurudwara. The Bahi Jis in my Gurudwara are so blissful, I could never imagine them acting like that. I know that I am able to concentrate easier on the Guru when the opposite sex person isn't next to me. But some people, who fall into the Naam easily, dont care who they sit next to.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Kee Fateh

Veerjee.. i know when i was kid, my mom use to take me and my brother to darbar sahib couple of times in a week... sometime early in the morning. In darbar sahib.. the place where you all kind of positive energy vibes in your body just by hearing the echo sound of gurbani being sung by raagi jatha. It's the same place where official sewadars are on the duty special to look out for sangat behaving properly and not disturbing others.. I have seen many dozen times where bibian most of the time use to cry while listening to gurbani.. they go out of control as they get soo attached to gurbani.. And sewadars with huge harpoon stick comes quickly and tell the person to go out right there (if they can't be stopped). This may not be in merayada but body motion of any kind should be kept controlled as it disturbs other person concentration in gurbani.

Regarding this issue, i would strongly suggest to you as you are doing wonderful sewa that to keep the strong strict relation with everyone. Adults & kids should have proper respectable personal space between each other. The comm. action was harsh but we can't blame them as you know they been through this in past. But if i was in their place, i would have personally come to you and probably take you out for a min and talk about it. Sometime some things should be taken in calm manner and away from public before making a big issue out of it. Anyone in field of any sewa should first keep respectable distance with others (always), no matter how small they are !

I am really sorry if you are hurt by anyone from gurdwara sahib. I would encourage you to go and get in touch with the sewadars of the gurudawara sahib and have a talk. Give them peace of mind that you are the guy that can be trusted (if you are). Make a good communication with you and then later on.. maybe they will announce soon to public that it was a mistake and so on. To undo the situation all you have to do is show up and talk to them.

Keep yourself positive and let guru ji take care of it !

thankyou sangat ji,

yes the girls sitting was a big mistake......youngest was 12. There is a guy who shakes like he has electrical shock !!

during naam simran.

Many persons reactions cannot be controlled.

A hindu friend of mine......very close to me said.....it happened in Mundhir too and we in Hinduism help and pray that person more.

We dont discoruage them.

We even sit next to them and pray- who knows if it is bad it will leave.

If it is good we then encourage further help.

We shall ask the pundit ji also.

Thankyou for the replies.........

appreciate it all ! We have a Hindu friend who said that in the mundhir we encourage people rather than ignore them.Maybe if it is bad - it will go! Otherwise it will increase and maybe of positive effect.

We will be attending the mundir to seek advice.

Guest Faujan

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Perhaps I am the only one taking it like this, but it seems to me now as if Veerji feels as though he cannot seek advice from his own Guruduara Sahib, and must resort to seeking help from a Hindu Mandir. Now, don't jump down my throat, I didn't say that was a bad thing, but my point is that he has been put in a position where he no longer feels comfortable in seeking advice from someone of his own Sangat.

Is that the case, Veerji? If so, my advice to you is this - do not try to get advice from the Mandir, as the conditions are different there. If it is allowed as such in a Mandir, and you start to see that as okay, it will only make it harder for you at the Guruduara Sahib. Tell me, what will you gain from seeking advice from your Hindu friend? You already know it is different at your Guruduara Sahib than his Mandir, this will only cause further problems.

My murakh suggestion is to avoid sitting close to any females while doing Naam Simran, at least for the time being. If you are not acting, if what happens to you is real, then by all means, let it happen as it does. Continue to attend your current Guruduara Sahib. But, if people get the impression that you are getting so close to God, and they begin to regard you as someone at a higher avastha, discourage this. After all, you are not doing it to gain fame, you are doing it - well, it just happens.

Everything will work out for the best, just keep faith in that very Lord who's Name you lose yourself in.

murakh di bhull chuk di khimma bakshni, Jiyo

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I understand the hand thing, and I'm not surprised. Pentecostal Christians, who believe in showing their form of Chardi Kala by waving their hands high up as if to reach heaven while singing hymns or "speaking in tongues" do this on a regular basis, and because of this I see no reason to judge this brother. If God means for him to show his joy in a certain way, why not go with it? And I can see why Naam Simran and not Ardas. Simran has a different effect on a person's consciousness and is meant to express Anand in a different way than Ardas does.

Why men and women on opposite sides? In most cases it makes sense, like when the one fellow said about who knows what can happen if married couples or even dating people mess around diring kirtan. Of course, it goes both ways...I bust my chops to look at and understand the English screen, and there's a gaggle of women nearby who will go on and on about recipes or what company makes the best diapers etc. It's just as irritating as any other distraction.

On my very first visit to the gurudwara my husband, who knows well enough about the male-female separation, took it on himself to sit with me to interpret the kirtan. We didn't have the powerpoint screen then, and all I had was this gutka that's English-Punjabi. The granthi interrupted his speaking to tell my husband, in front of the sangat, to move to the other side, and that I was being improper for having him there to begin with. A nice lady of the congregation knew what was happening and sat in as interpreter. I understand the granthi got raked over the coals for this later, told that he had not trashed a visitor, but a convert who wanted to ask about amrit and membership in the congregation! That unpleasantness put me off asking about Amrit for quite a while.

I've had a lot of experience with different faiths and practices, and for this reason I don't judge this fellow who got dumped on by members of his congregation. They were the ones in error. You don't shame a person before God and everybody! If there is a concern or problem, take the person aside in a quiet talk, for Heaven's sake, and don't make him feel like an <banned word filter activated>. When I went to Catholic school, a lot of the old nuns thought that correct teaching meant shaming a student in front of the class for everything from messing up a test to having weight trouble, like that has anything to do with learning. They know better now. Maybe that's because so many from my old class left the church.

Blessed be,

Polska

I think I was there when this happened.

I know some of the things written in this post is a blatant lie.

The girls were sitting on the men's side, when they could've easily sat on the men's side, and they were all the way in the back, which already gives a bad impression.

The Singh did the right thing by coming to the mic, and scolding the girls since they could've easily sat on the Men's side, this is anti-gurmat, and is not excusable.

And it serves as a lesson to anyone in the future for men sitting on women's side and women sitting on men's side, Guru Sahib serves as a equilibrium, and a mediator, thats why it has been like this.

Well, about your "hand" I can't comment on it, but I would suggest not to sit with bibian when clearly there is room on both sides.

106727[/snapback]

The problem I have here, is that there isn't anywhere in sikhi that says men and women should be seperated in gurdwara. To do something like that is saying that they aren't equal or something to that effect. Most of the time, it's just us seperating ourselves. It's the whole indian community thing-a-majigger that makes everyone look at men and women as evil this and evil that, and the second they see a guy and a girl together they go nuts.

I havent myself come across strong point where men and women are to be seperated. However following the rules and accepted that we have mistakenly broke it and repent should be acceptable.

The point here being is humiliated, threatened and accused in front of ALL sangat is not right. So now i am cult member? his 'chela'??

If they had some common sense, they could have kindly asked later.

This is about the uncontrollable hand movement.

They have committed a big sin by stopping all sangat concentration!

I havent myself come across strong point where men and women are to be seperated. However following the rules and accepted that we have mistakenly broke it and repent should be acceptable.

The point here being is humiliated, threatened and accused in front of ALL sangat is not right. So now i am cult member? his 'chela'??

If they had some common sense, they could have kindly asked later.

This is about the uncontrollable hand movement.

They have committed a big sin by stopping all sangat concentration!

108317[/snapback]

veerji get over it.

1st of all under no circumstances should you be sitting alone with girls.ive seen situations like these too many times before.and very often one or both parties is doing something wrong.

Maybe there is a reason provided by Guru Ji for this.

You said it came to you when your avastha was growing. Maybe this was an attempt to bring down your ego in front of sangat so you do not get big headed. take it as hukam.