HATE CRIMES DATABASE FOR UK SIKHS

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ramgharia gurdwhara in Coventry was attacked my goraa.  Windows were smashed by stones? 

Vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

Vaaheguroojeekeefaateh!!

109316[/snapback]

Appealing to Sikhs from Coventry:

Any more specifics - date, time, confirmation of address of Gurdwara etc.

109346[/snapback]

Evening time, not sure what time.

date was either Saturday or Sunday night, my dad was tellin me about it, but he didnt hear exactly what was being said by the committee as they were so stupid, they didnt call the police or nothing until after the event happened.

Gurdwara is on Foleshill Rd, Longford, Coventry.

Let me know if you want more, see if i can get you anything. Im not liked by the commitee anymore as i dont follow starchy or pointy maryada with a trimmed beard, but non tied dhari, dhumala and only point coming out of my dastar is shastar.

No offence to anyone with the above description!! im just following Maryada of Gursikhs.

GANG STONES SIKH TEMPLE IN 'REVENGE'

By SS

Jul 18, 2005, 10:02

Email this article

Printer friendly page

Police believe a gang of six racists vandalised a worshipper's car outside a Sikh temple in revenge for the London bombings. They threw a brick through the window of a car parked outside the Sar Gurdwara Temple, in Tithe Barn Road, Stafford, at about 1.15am on Saturday.

Sergeant Paul Prenter, of Staffordshire Police, said: "The temple is a Sikh temple and it is believed at this time the offenders thought the occupants were Muslims, following the recent attacks in London."

Narinder-Singh Mahiel, owner of the Ford Fiesta which was damaged, says the Sikh community has been targeted by racists in the past following terrorist attacks by Muslim extremists.

Mr Mahiel said worshippers were celebrating the birthday of the sixth guru, a three day religious festival which carries on day and night, at the time of the attack.

Temple chairman Mr Mahiel, aged 53, said: "There were six of them, they were seen by a lady outside the temple.

"I think it is related to what happened in London.

We are against what happened in London, it was appalling to see so many innocent people lose their lives.

"We are a different religion to the Muslim faith, but every time something happens like the London bombings, we seem to bear the brunt of it. We get it worst than any other community."

Anti-racism campaigners and community leaders have been quick to condemn the attack as a "hate crime".

Stafford MP David Kidney said: "This sort of thing really plays into the hands of the terrorists. They want us to respond in that way, they want to spread hatred."

North Staffordshire Racial Equality Council director Mohammed Tufail said: "We condemn this act.

"They will target anyone they see who is different from themselves. But it is based on hatred, they are just using the London bombing as an excuse."

* Anyone who has any informationis asked to call Stafford Police on 08453 302010, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

The Metropolitan Police Sikh Association (MPSA) will be writing to all Gurdwaras in the next 24 hours (in English and Panjabi) about the Hate Crimes Database for UK Sikhs.

They have also been requested to produce posters that can be put up on all noticeboards at Gurdwaras. The posters will allow names and telephone numbers of local Sikhs (on the Internet) to be added so data gathering can be facilitated at a local level.

A request has also been made that the posters also be put in as full page advertisements in the four Sikh/Panjabi newspapers.

The Metropolitan Police Sikh Association (MPSA) will be writing to all Gurdwaras in the next 24 hours (in English and Panjabi) about the Hate Crimes Database for UK Sikhs.

They have also been requested to produce posters that can be put up on all noticeboards at Gurdwaras. The posters will allow names and telephone numbers of local Sikhs (on the Internet) to be added so data gathering can be facilitated at a local level.

A request has also been made that the posters also be put in as full page advertisements in the four Sikh/Panjabi newspapers.

109668[/snapback]

:) Very very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too many sikhs are just going to accept hate crimes or incidents as a 'given' but we must report them as much as possible for the government to be able to see what the repercussions on Sikhs are of their mishandling of the post 7th July situation. They have not said publicly enough that such hate crimes are occurring on Sikhs nor fully denounced them. They must accept the responsibility for these hate crimes. Just like the US Justice Dept. Post 9/11 produced posters explaining who sikhs were and not to attack them- the UK did not do so then nor after 7th July and now we are seeing the effects publicly of Ignorance and prejudice.