Goreh Names

Sikh_Kuri

Khalsa Jee,

Can I please know your views on keeping Sikh names under Goreh names or any other cultural names other than Sikh names?

Do you think it's right or wrong? Because we were discussing marriages and one of my m8 tld me she went to a wedding this weekend and when it came to the Ardaas the Gyani couldnt pronounce the Girls name properly because it was an english name and she didnt have a Sikh name at all, and I was arguing with this Girl today who is a "Sikh" but has a Gorah name and she justified it as if it's a right thing to keep a Gorahs name and the Gyani should have known how to pronounce it, and put the blame onto the Gyani, when it was no fault of the Gyani's what so eva.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fateh Jee

There is nothing anti-gurmat in having a first name from a different culture, what matters is that a Sikh uses the names Kaur or Singh as appropriate to them which distinguishes them from others.

There are some gyani's who find it hard to pronounce 'goreh' names, Ive seen this myself, but most will just refer to them as 'kaaka and bibi' to avoid embarrassment. Guru Sahib knows who they are, and on a side note, no one needs their name mentioned in ardas because Patshaah Jee is all-knowing.

'Vin Boleya, Sab Kich Jaanda'...Fateh

A name is a name but I feel that we should stay with our culture as Panjabi's and keep names that are Panjabi. I never understood why some people in our community choose to keep western names or name their children with english names. Are Panjabi names not good enough?

I feel that the root of this problem is that people are afraid to show their seperate identity. They want to fit in with the 'Goreh' so that no one will say "Why is your name different to our?" The problem is that some members of our community have lost their religous roots and also their cultural roots and want to become like 'Goreh.'

Be Proud Of Your Religion!!!!

Be Proud Of Yourself!!!!!

I recommend that these people that have strayed from the true path should watch "Khalsa" by Mangal Singh Dhillon.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!!!

A name is a name but I feel that we should stay with our culture as Panjabi's and keep names that are Panjabi. I never understood why some people in our community choose to keep western names or name their children with english names. Are Panjabi names not good enough?

Akali Jee, Sikhs are not just from a punjabi background, there are westerners who adopt Sikhi also, they may retain their first names and keep Singh or Kaur for identity purposes.

I do agree with you regarding the fact that it is wrong to choose a western name for your child in order to fit in.

I feel that the root of this problem is that people are afraid to show their seperate identity. They want to fit in with the 'Goreh' so that no one will say "Why is your name different to our?" The problem is that some members of our community have lost their religous roots and also their cultural roots and want to become like 'Goreh.'

Be Proud Of Your Religion!!!!

Be Proud Of Yourself!!!!!

I recommend that these people that have strayed from the true path should watch "Khalsa" by Mangal Singh Dhillon.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!!!

108741[/snapback]

I dont agree keeping goreh names. And I also beliv by giving goreh names thats the first step that they wont get into their rightful culture and folow the Goreh rules.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!

just wanna add that im a Sikh,( have also been lucky enough to receive Amrit).. and i do have a 'gorey' name... not that i like it or anything but i do have one. I had planned to change it during Amrit sanchaar., but then i did not end up changing it.( This is a little off topic but would it still be ok..if i were to change it now??)

Sooo....Having a name from Gurbani is an amazing thing... but i think that when people recieve a name from Gurbani and then do bad things, it is some what of a disrespect towards Guru ji.

Bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!

gurfateh

i don't mind "sikhs" having a gora name but they should change their name when they take amrit. going on this i don't see any differnece between anyone that is mona and someone from anyother background.

108760[/snapback]

Why ? Is this stated in our Rehat Maryada ? If not then stopping making things up.

On a similar note the name Khalistan is apparently derived from a persian word so why is ok to have a country with a foreign name but not peoples names ?

If someone wants a african, arabian, chinese or european name then as long as they use Singh as their surname there is no need to change the first name !

Khalsa Jee,

Can I please know your views on keeping Sikh names under Goreh names or any other cultural names other than Sikh names?

Do you think it's right or wrong? Because we were discussing marriages and one of my m8 tld me she went to a wedding this weekend and when it came to the Ardaas the Gyani couldnt pronounce the Girls name properly because it was an english name and she didnt have a Sikh name at all, and I was arguing with this Girl today who is a "Sikh" but has a Gorah name and she justified it as if it's a right thing to keep a Gorahs name and the Gyani should have known how to pronounce it, and put the blame onto the Gyani, when it was no fault of the Gyani's what so eva.

108739[/snapback]

I get what u mean but at the end of the day it is responsibility of the childs parents to give them the suitable name. Nowadays it is not thought as decent to have a name like harnam or summit like that. It is uncool an basically a sign of sikhi no longer being upheld. An for some having a sikh name means following the faith fully n for most that is hard. So maybe having a goreh name is best for those kind of people. Not being horrible.