Just Curious

Guest call me wa u wan

4 minutes ago, ManpreetKaurr said:

This is the main reason I still haven't taken amrit yet because I am still practicing to tie a dastaar. Sometimes, I cry because I don't know how to tie a dastaar. Sometimes I cry because I still haven't taken amrit. With me only being 16 this year, I really hope maharaj blesses me with dastaar sjaun di daat and amrit di daat soon. Guru sahib is definitely teaching me how to be patience here.

You're doing all the right things. 

On 7/27/2005 at 4:27 PM, Guest call me wa u wan said:

IS IT COMPULSORY FOR AMRITDHARI WOMEN TO WEAR A DASTAAR?????

COZ I'VE MET MANY HU DONT ....BUT THEY ALWAYS AV THERE HEAD COVERED :)

It's not compulsory for women to wear a dastar. Majority of bibiyan from all sampradai be it taksaal, nihang, nanaksar etc generally just wear a chunni or keski. Whilst bibiyan wearing dastar have been around all the time and it's amazing dont let it be a make or break reason for not taking Amrit. 

Keeping the kesh tied and covered is important and the chunni police will enforce that by giving you evils at the Gurdwara.

Some panj Piyare encourage for wearing a dastar , not come across any making it compulsory. 

One can look the part but inside they aren't living up to it. Bani and Bana should go hand in hand.

Doesn't really matter, as long as your head is covered and you look modest.

Historically Sikh women used to wear just chunni. Looking at 19th century photos, and historical Sikh art work(18th, 19th century), there isnt a single Sikh woman with a dastar. Even in Punjab today, amritdhari women just wear chunni. They used tie their joorah on top of their heads and then cover it with chunni. 

The wives of the shaheed Singhs from the 80s, 90s, mostly used chunni. I think Sant Jarnail Singh jis wife used chunni as well. Shaheed bhai Raminderjeet Singh Tainee Babbar and his wife both became shaheed, bibi ji also used to wear a chunni, you can watch their anand karaj on YouTube. 

Dastar wearing Sikh women is more of a western Sikh thing ... which is fine ...

Doesn't really matter, as long as your head is covered. 

On that note, why do Sikh parents tie patka on their sons heads and leave their daughters heads with nothing on? You see plenty of Sikh parents, often mona, who raise their sons with guttis, which is is great, but they cut their daughters hair and not cover it, Why?  Then we wonder why boys a closer to Sikhi then girls ...

When tieing patka on your sons, tie patka or something similar on your daughters too ...

If little girls prefer wearing a pink patka, or something similar, then do that! Just try encouraging them and get them into the habit.

you will see some eye witness accounts, one time when some Nihang Singhs went to meet I think it was Mughals.

Anyway they brought their Singhnis with them and muslmaanis saw them.

Some of the Singhnis wore bana with dumalla.

Some Singhnis wore traditional clothes. However in pictures you will see that these Singhnis keep joora at mahd-sees which is like middle of the back of the head, I guess above the dasam duar - and then always covered by a chunni