Gurdwara Sahibs Named After Castes

Guest Fateh Kaur

Guest Fateh Kaur

Sangat Ji,I'm sure you'll agree with me that there are alot of Guru Ghars that have been named with castes aswell. During these holidays I went up to Peterborough and I was introduced to a Sikh family having been amrit dhari they still were talking about Castes. When I heard the Bibi say Have you been to the Chumaaran Dha Gurdwara? I was proper shocked so I said to her that why you saying that for. A Guru Ghar dont belong to anyone, any Sangat iz welcum you cant just place a stamp on it and say that belongs 2 sum one.

And she gave me a whole mouthful and said I tlk like a granny for my age.

I dont care what the Bibi had said to me because I said the truth but what gets to me is that no one is actualy raising their voices against the Gurdwara Sahibs being named with the Caste name printed onto.

What can be done? Are there any solutions?

problem is its the older lot that think they know everything when to be honest they actually dont  blush.gif

we gotta get more of the youth n that involved and have some proper chardi kala gursikhs to run the gurdwareh :wub:

114824[/snapback]

n how will that happen?

problem is its the older lot that think they know everything when to be honest they actually dont  blush.gif

we gotta get more of the youth n that involved and have some proper chardi kala gursikhs to run the gurdwareh :wub:

114824[/snapback]

n how will that happen?

114833[/snapback]

with guru ji's kirpa pray.gifpray.gifpray.gifpray.gif

but how are you meant to walk away?

Some might say oh caste does not matter but when it comes down to things it does when it ocnserns their family. A girl marries outside her family caste she is shunned by her parents n the family. For a boy i have noticed it is not so bad.

Things are easy to say when it does not concern you(as in your family).

Gurdwaras are wrong for having a caste in their title but they do not stop people from entering because they do not belong to that caste.

Slowly as years pass things will change as a lot of new gurdwaras being built do not include a caste in their title.

At the end of the day it does not matter what a gurdwara is called cus it is guru ka ghar an anyone can enter.

Ya its all down to old school Punjabi mentality more than anything else and it’s a shame!

The other week for example I done a presentation for people of different religions that work with elderly people in order to give them a better understanding of Sikhism and what Sikhs believe etc. the group consisted of Muslims, Chrisitans, Hindus and Sikhs even all of them of different races also.

So this Muslim guy asked me whether in Sikhism we have different sects like they have sunnai and shea or something like that? :wub: Anyways I said no - I said we have what we call the Khalsa Panth i.e. all Sikhs who are Amritdhari and then the others who are not Amritdhari yet may refer to themselves as sehaj dhari Sikhs or may by definition of a Sikh (according to Akaal Takht Rehat maryada) fit the criteria of a Sikh. And then this uncle ji who had come with the group said “no we do have different groups like jatts, tarkhans etc” and I thought great here we go! So I said no uncle ji that is not Sikhism that is “Punjabi-ism” or maybe even a form of Hinduism incorporated by many “Sikhs” into their beliefs. And then I went onto talk about how Sikhism in beliefs and practices denounces the caste system and how it’s up to the youth to kind of tidy up this mess created by older generations.

end of day Gurughar is a Guruhar regardless of what is written on the building; all we're after is Guru ji's darshan and blessings