Two Faced Muslims

singhmota

25 August 2005

I WAS TOLD ANIL WOULD BE SHOT AND MY LEGS BROKEN OVER OUR LOVE

EXCLUSIVE: RUNAWAY COUPLE IN THREAT TERROR

By Carl Mcdougall

A YOUNG couple are living in fear at a secret location - because their love crosses a religious divide.

Teenager Nabilah Arshad claims her strictly Muslim family can't accept her being with Anil Kumar, 20, who has a Sikh background.

And the pair fled their homes last week after receiving threats over their six-month relationship.

However, they have vowed to remain together and plan to marry - with or without family blessing.

Nabilah, 17, says her family reacted furiously when they discovered she was seeing Anil in secret.

She said: "I was told my legs would be broken and Anil would be shot."

Advertisement

Nabilah insists they were left with no option but to flee for their safety.

The Glasgow couple are now in hiding, and have begged Nabilah's family to accept her love for Anil.

But Nabilah admitted:"I don't hold out much hope."

She says a Muslim man can marry who he chooses but a woman does not have the same freedom.

Nabilah met Anil through friends a year ago but it was several months before love blossomed. Now they are inseparable.

Last week, they took part in a traditional Indian wedding. Anil claims the ceremony, at a temple in Glasgow, means they are "married in the Lord's eyes and in our own hearts".

Now they want to follow it up with a full legal UK marriage.

Nabilah said: "My family didn't know about the relationship for a long time. As a Muslim, I am not meant to go out with guys, so I didn't tell them about Anil."

Frightened Nabilah left her home in Giffnock earlier this month. She was reported missing and her diaries, with details of her relationship with Anil, were found Nabilah claims she and Anil then began receiving threats.

She explained: "Nasty things were said. Anil was told his house would be petrol bombed. We were terrified."

Nabilah returned in the hope of working things out. She revealed she wanted to marry Anil, who would convert to Islam.

But there was no progress and the situation came to a head when Nabilah's family went looking for her at Anil's house in Bishopbriggs.

She said: "I was pulled into a car screaming and shaking. It all came out - I was not to see Anil again."

Nabilah and Anil, a keen amateur boxer who is currently unemployed, decided it was time to leave.

He said: "We have had a bad time but are determined to stay together.

"Our love for each other will get us through. You have to take these opportunities. Life is too short and there is no way I could contemplate not being with Nabilah.

"I am religious. I have a strong faith and belief and that is what is keeping me going. My religion is flexible but it's not the same for Nabilah."

Nabilah said: "I know my family love me and I will always love them. It would be great if they could accept Anil and I being together. I just want them to know I'm happy with Anil and want them to be happy for me."

Nabilah's father Riaz last night rejected claims his daughter had been driven from her home.

And the businessman said he had "no idea" about any threats made against the couple.

When asked if he approved of Nabilah seeing a man from a different religious background, he replied repeatedly "no comment".

Mr Arshad added: "It's her choice where she stays. She is 17 and old enough legally to do as she chooses.'

link

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:TH: well said paaj, Exactly whta i've had in mind for a while now, comeon sgpc and whoever else dont turn ur backs on the basis of this religion, equal rights to both men and women, SORRRRT IT OWUT wacko.gifrolleyes.gif

Aren't Sikhs double faced too for not allowing Bibian to do seva at Harmandir Sahib? We tell people that Sikhi is the only religion who gives equal rights to women and then we have sikhs who oppose women doing seva in Harmandir sahib. Doesnt that make us double-faced and hypocritics?

116178[/snapback]

ya beat me to it. i completly agree with you. It is much easier to point and blame the hypocrisy of others religions, but look at what you call your own and fix it first.

Aren't Sikhs double faced too for not allowing Bibian to do seva at Harmandir Sahib? We tell people that Sikhi is the only religion who gives equal rights to women and then we have sikhs who oppose women doing seva in Harmandir sahib. Doesnt that make us double-faced and hypocritics?

116178[/snapback]

ya beat me to it. i completly agree with you. It is much easier to point and blame the hypocrisy of others religions, but look at what you call your own and fix it first.

116245[/snapback]

Pheena

Whatever amount of discrimination you perceive to be in Sikhi it is not as great as there in other religions. Sometimes people just cannot help being negative, if someone says something negative about another religion and something positive about Sikhi then we have people who will rack their brains to see if they can think of something which happens in Sikhi so that Sikhi too can be brought down to the same level as the other religions. I have nothing personal against you but your comment 'ya beat me to it' shows that you are one of these people.

If you really are honest in your comparisons you would know that SGPC has already decided that women will be able to take part in Kirtan and other sewa at Harmandir Sahib. Yes, a few obscurantist organisations and one man bands have issued statements against this but the SGPC decision has the support of the majority of Sikhs. Giving equality to women does not have the support of the majority of the other religions. The only negative that can be drawn is that why it took so long for the SGPC decision.

Maybe before you jump into the fray with your 'Sikhs discriminate too' statements maybe your should try and get a deeper understanding of the situation in other religions.