Importance Of Kesh?....need Help!

Guest vsingh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Sadhsangat ji,

Many people ask what is the importance of "kesh" ?

Personally for me, to ask this question is to question creativity of Akal Purakh and hence i dont need any justification for this but there are many people who ask for scientific reasoning behind this. For them religious importance of "kesh" is not enough and today i couldnt convince someone with this question.

I need your help sadhsangat ji, please give me some references which answer this question both in scientific and religious way. This will not be only an answer which i want to give in my discussion but rather i want to learn this and more myself.

Gur Fateh

Daas...

VSingh

yeh heera singh's right.. but anyway just wanted 2 add my comments:

hair = good 4 obtaining vitamin d i beleve.. since it takes in the sun rays n dat

also, if u let hair grow naturally.. it will soon stop, therefore those resources will be used 4 summing else.. lyk growing muscles (ie: BIG SINGHSSS!!! :) )

and yeh if u DO cut hair, ull be wasting resources in regrowing that hair.. ever notice how the new grown hair is thicker than "normal" hair?? :doh:

tthere u go. its good 4 our health. :TH:

long hair:

creation of vaheguru! if vaheugur did not intended you to have hair then why does it keep growing back? some logical ones for religious people :)

also for those that do naam alot - well hair provides alot of strength to sustain naam - maybe you could ask some gurmukhs who do this as they can verify it for sure.

penji you know why we cut our nails becoz imagineo kay we need to kirt (work) hana we cant with massive nails can we......hair dont interfere with nearly all types of kirat. so thas one reason

another its very unhygenic to grow such nails and can also pose a danger to others, eg. poke their eye outs,, im sure growing long hair cant do that.

u know what i mean penji

take care jee

lol bhenji, I dont think i want to take anyones eyeballs out, but I said that cos if u tell a non-sikh that we should keep our hair cos God wanted us to as it grows back then they will just say that ur nails also grow back so thats why i was saying that but thanks ji :TH:

Thanks to all till now, who have tried to answer my question. Yes, that is one of the counter question which i came across...about nails!

I am seizing an opportunity here to make myself more knowledgeable as i am a gursikh living in usa and ppl frequently ask me these questions and i want to proudly present and represent sikhism.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

SAT NAM

there is scientific reasons for keepin kes.....i think its important you know why you keep it rather than "coz its for God" im sure God wants us to understand its importance....

well kes...is meant to be tied at the top of your head for a male...and slighly further back than the top of the head if ur female......

this is your "tenth gate" apparently, where the soul enters and leaves the body.

Tying ur kes up provides better concentration and focus...there are books and stuff about it....its 135am so im too sleepy to think hehe but read up on it more im sure you will find reasons and come to an understanding of the importance of our kes......

as for body hairs....well they are there because we are naturally that way and we dont alter them....

again im sleepy this post may not make much sense wacko.gif

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh :bakreey:

There's a book called Hair Power by Anoop Singh (i think..) which talks about how unshorn hair keep the body healthier. According to the author it was found that in a school in Punjab the guys with unshorn hair were on average taller and had less teeth problems than those with haircuts. He also mentions how in some areas of India disease broke out and that most of the sick were men and not women because they kept long hair. Some of the benefits of keeping hair stated in the book are that the longer the hair the more vitamin D the body recieves and the body has to use far less protien to regrow the hair over and over again.

Theres a lot more but I'm kinda busy right now but i'll post some other things from the book when i have time.

Just keep in mind.... Sikhi is very modern and logical so our Gurus wouldn't have told us to keep our hair if they had no purpose.