What Does "sant" Shabad Mean?

Kharkoo4Life

This thread is not aimed as a criticism or attack on any particular person. Rather i hope it will be a general discussion of the word Sant, and its application as illustrated in Gurbani vs. its application and use as seen today in the Sikh community.

The following is an article i found on the net, written by another author, which brought up some interesting points. The views below are not entirely mine, and im not telling anyone that the below view is 100%correct and u shud follow it blindly and neither am i saying its completel wrong. It wud be negligence on my part to simply quote those parts of the below essay which suited my own beliefs or views so therefore i have posted the article in its entirety.

Please have a read and form ur own opinion. The goal is to raise an atmosphere of self-questioning, reflection and understanding of sikhi sidhaant. I apologize in advance, if anythin in the below article is found offensive by anyone. Enjoy :)

DISTURBING MIS-USE OF THE WORD "SANT" ... (By Navjot Singh)

sMqn mo kau hir mwrig pwieAw ]

The Saints have set me upon the Lord's Path.

swD ik®pwil hir sMig igJwieAw ]

By the Grace of the Holy Saint, I have been attuned to the Lord.

hir hmrw hm hir ky dwsy nwnk sbdu gurU scu dInw jIau ]4]14]21]

The Lord is mine, and I am the slave of the Lord. O Nanak, the Guru has blessed me with the True Word of the Shabad.

sMq ik®pw qy imty moh Brm ]

By the kind Mercy of the Saints, emotional attachment and doubt are removed.

swD ryx mjn siB Drm ]

Taking a bath in the dust of the feet of the Holy - this is true Dharmic faith

imty AMdyisAw hW ]

His anxieties are removed

sMq aupdyisAw myry mnw ]1]

by the Teachings of the Saints, O my mind

jy vf Bwg hovih muiK msqik hir rwm jnw Bytwie ]

If someone has supremely high destiny written on his forehead, the Lord leads him to meet the humble servants of the Lord.

drsnu sMq dyhu kir ikrpw sBu dwldu duKu lih jwie ]2]

Be merciful, and grant me the Blessed Vision of the Saints' Darshan, which shall rid me of all poverty and pain.

In all of the above GurbaNNi verses, the word "Sant" or "Saadh" is meant only for Guru Sahib Ji. In fact in all of Gurbani whenever the word "Sant" is used in the singular form, it is meant only for Guru Sahib. In the plural form, it is meant for all GurSikhs in general, but never for an individual. These interpretations are accepted by all prominent Scholars of the Khalsa Panth, but then why is this word, "Sant", so widely mis-used ?

Even Baba Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale (as he should be called) used to say that he was not a "Sant", and people were always pasting this title on him.

The word that was only to be used for Guru Sahib in the singular form, and for all GurSikhs in the plural form, has now become a TITLE (Khittab) that has not only lost its original meaning, but has brought on many of the ills into our community.

In August edition of "Sura" magazine a brief article on this subject by Giani Gurditt Singh Ji (Singh Sabha) was printed. Appropriately it was titled : "Panthak Eakta Day JaaRRi(n) Paleetay". It criticized the mis-use of this word, and the dangers to Panthic Unity with its mis-use. Giani Ji, mentioned that the mis-use of this word started in the last century when people began to refer to the respectable Baba Attar Singh Ji (Mastuanna) as "Sant Ji", "Sant Ji Maharaj", and so on. Thereafter, to most of the Sikh public, he was known as "Sant Attar Singh Ji Mastuannaywale." The mis-use of this word quickly spread throughout the Panth, unfortunately, now it is not too uncommon to see a so-called "Sant" in every village in Punjab. The illiterate, rural Sikhs, venerate these individuals to the point of GuruShip. In actuality, it can be said that these individuals, are not Sikhs (disciples) of Guru Granth Sahib, but of these so-called "Sants."

In Dasam Patshah's Bani there is a verse describing such a situation :

"Ghar(i) Ghar(i) Hoey B'Hayngey Rama"

Bhai Randhir Singh, a revolutionary freedom fighter and mystical theologian, who was one of the only individuals to receive HukamNamahs from all (then) four Takahts was staunchly against the mis-use of the word "Sant.", and refused to be called a Sant throughout his life. In his book titled "Sant Padd NirNNay" he dwells into detail, the use of words like Sant, Saaadh, Sadhoo, and Bhagat, in Gurbani, and their proper interpretation.

Referring to the "Sant" situation, Bhai Sahib states:

"..Guru Panth da eh Lazzmi Faraz hai Ki Ohna Noo(n) Is Sant-Dumbtta di Bimmaree [disease] toa(n) HuNN Toa(n) Aroagatt [cure] Keeta Javay"

Yes this has become a disease that has infested almost all the Jathaybandis of our Panth, and we must rid the Panth of this disease, otherwise it will rot us all..

Looking a little deeper into such Jathaybandies, one finds that along with the title SANT, a so-called "Gaddee" is passed on from "Sant" to "Sant", just as the Kookays, and the Nirankaris passed on their "GuruShip" to their successors. IS THIS GURMAT, OR PURE BRAHMANISM AT ITS PEAK !!!!

It is as Guru Sahib said : "Bipran Ki Reet"

If we look closely at the derays of these "Sants" we will not be surprised to see many worthless rituals and practices borrowed from Nirmalas and Hindu ascetics

There exists an "elitist" organization called the "Sant-Smaj", reportedly , it comprises of dozens and dozens of these so-called "Sants." The Panth needs to be more vigilant about the motives of such organizations. What is their purpose in the Panth, why are they trying to validate their existence as "Sants" ?

Does an individual in the Sikh Panth have the right to hold this TITLE ? Absolutely not, according to GurbaNNi all GurSikhs are equal, no one is higher or lower. There are no ranks in the Panth. We are all Bhais, with equal status and respect for all.

Have we ever thought :

Who gave them the "privilege" to be called "Sants" ?

What is their relationship to their chalays, as compared to Guru Sahib and "normal" GurSikhs?

Why is there a need for them to be called a "Sant" ?

Why do so many of them have links to GOI politicians ?

Are they spiritually higher than GurSikhs like Bhai Gurdas Ji, Baba Ajit Singh Ji, Baba Jujhar Singh Ji, Baba Fateh Singh Ji, Baba Joravar Singh Ji, Bhai Nand Singh Ji, Baba Banda Singh Bahadur, Baba Deep Singh Ji, and Akali Phula Singh Ji ?

Why has this word been so much mis-used ? When will we put a stop to its mis-use ?

These are important questions that we in the Panth will eventually have to answer.

It is sad to see GurSikhs who once believed in non other than Guru Granth Sahib, start chanting "Sant Ji Maharaj", "Mahapurakh, BrahmGyani this and that" all day and night after having the "Sangat" of such individuals. As GurSikhs we are told that we must not do Ustat or Nindiya of anyone. The only Ustat we should do is of Akal Purakh Sahib and Guru Sahib Ji. Those individuals, who day and night praise these so-called "Sants", are going against the Guru's Hukams. Rather than bringing the public closer to Guru Sahib these "Sants" have done just the opposite. Those poor individuals who become their followers start having more faith in these "Sants" than in Guru Sahib. These "Sants" not only know that this is happening but encourage it, this is very disturbing.

There is a verse in Asa-Di-// that describes the fate of individuals who challenge the Guru's Timeless Authority :

KsmY kry brwbrI iPir gYriq AMdir pwie ]

But if he claims to be equal to his Master, he earns his Master's displeasure.

] As stated before many of these "Sants" have the auspicious of GOI, we as Sikhs have a right to question these individuals and their followers as to why they are called "Sants", Sikh organizations, Gurdwaras, and the general public, should openly boycott them and challenge their fake TITLES. Remember the issue hear is not necessarily the individuals themselves, but the mis-use of the word "SANT." Not only is its mis-use disturbing to our society, but it is entirely against GURMAT.

"According to the Gurbani in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Sateguru is the intermediate link between the devotee and God. With God’s grace, the devotee follows the Gurmat path, and honestly puts more effort in meditating on God’s name. The path towards God opens up, the devotee’s sins are erased, and the devotee becomes free from the cycle of birth and death. Without the Sateguru, no one has ever reached God, nor will anyone ever do so. God has placed self (God) into Sateguru, and the spirit can be seen by the devotee through meditating on God’s name.

The Gurbani tells us numerous characteristics of the Sateguru: Sateguru is complete, is spiritual, exists forever, has been existing forever, is free from the cycle of birth and death, is divine knowledge (SateGuru ke Bani), is divine word (the Sabad/Gurmanter), is divine spirit (Jot), is residing in everybody, is the intermediate link between the devotee and God, and is the vehicle/channel to meet God, etc.

The Gurbani has addressed Sateguru using many names. Some of these names are: beloved, friend, companion, Sadh, Sant, etc. If the definition of Sateguru is not completely understood as per Gurbani, this can lead to the worshipping of earthly “saints.” Understanding this principle is very important. Only this understanding can stop this spreading of dehdhari (bodily) Sategurus, Sadhs or Sants who are preaching their own holiness and misleading people. In the Gurus’ era, no one ever called each other Sadh or Sant. Instead they simply called each other Bhai (Brother/Sister). In some places in Gurbani, the term Sadh or Sant is also used to refer to God. Occasionally it is also used to refer to the people who follow the path of Sateguru, the ultimate saint. In some places in Gurbani, these earthly Sadhs or Sants are called thugs (thieves), who mislead innocent people into rituals and away from the path of Sateguru.

The Gurbani, like a mother, cradles us, holds our hand, warns us from the wrong path, teaches us Gurmat, and re-enforces the importance of meditating on God’s name. It also tells us to be a Sikh of SateGuru, to be humble, and to meditate on God’s name with great love and devotion. If we carefully read Gurbani, we can easily find the direction given by our Gurus and Bhagats in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji: Be humble, it is better to be called Gursikh, Bhai, or Bhain rather than Sadh or Sant. If we think ourselves superior to the rest of the mankind then it is extremely difficult to establish or keep a close relationship with God."

I enjoyed reading your response but had few comments/question on few thigns?

The Gurbani tells us numerous characteristics of the Sateguru:  Sateguru is complete, is spiritual, exists forever, has been existing  forever, is free from the cycle of birth and death, is divine  knowledge (SateGuru ke Bani), is divine word (the  Sabad/Gurmanter), is divine spirit (Jot), is residing in everybody,  is the intermediate link between the devotee and God, and is the  vehicle/channel to meet God, etc.

Can this Vehicle be in the form of flesh?

The Gurbani has addressed Sateguru using many names. Some of  these names are: beloved, friend, companion, Sadh, Sant, etc. If the  definition of Sateguru is not completely understood as per  Gurbani, this can lead to the worshipping of earthly “saints.”  Understanding this principle is very important. Only this  understanding can stop this spreading of dehdhari (bodily)  Sategurus, Sadhs or Sants who are preaching their own holiness  and misleading people. In the Gurus’ era, no one ever called each  other Sadh or Sant. Instead they simply called each other Bhai  (Brother/Sister).    In some places in Gurbani, the term Sadh or Sant is also used to  refer to God. Occasionally it is also used to refer to the people who  follow the path of Sateguru, the ultimate saint. In some places in  Gurbani, these earthly Sadhs or Sants are called thugs (thieves),  who mislead innocent people into rituals and away from the path  of Sateguru. 

Let us not generalize the dehdhari Saints in one basket of Fakes. Our 10 Guru and Bhagats had Bodies, they were Dehdharis Gurus in their Times. But at the same time let me point out that a Guru is a Guru not because of the body but of what is within the body that Guides us thru his/her Shabads and Kirpa. It is obvious the word Sant has been overly abused and in turn has created a stigma on such a status, even tho a Saint is a Saint regardless if one wishes to call him/her by Sant. Even today such Saints exist that are Pooran Bhramgianis, but are far and few.

"Can this Vehicle be in the form of flesh?"

Fateh,

Sateguru Ji's Shabad (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji) is the "vehicle/channel" for us to connect with God spiritually. Vehicle/Channel is a metaphorical term for path.

No, in my opinion, this vehicle/path, cannot be in the form of flesh because we seek God thru reading/understanding Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Everyone who attains the level of knowledge of Gurbani, does so thru reading/studying and incorporating it into their lives. As we all know Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was not the last Guru Ji, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our living Guru, and It is not in the form of flesh.

Some are carried across, in the ship of Truth of the True Guru. (SGGS 1081)

Without the True Guru, no one knows the Way. The blind find no place of rest (SGGS 65)

The True Guru is the boat; the Word of the Shabad will carry them across. (SGGS 1009)

Without the Name, no one attains liberation. Without the True Guru, no one finds the Name. Such is the making which God has made. (SGGS 1046)

The self-willed manmukhs pratice devotional rituals without the True Guru, but without the True Guru, there is no devotion. (SGGS 768)

Without the True Guru, no one finds the Lord. People have grown weary of thinking about it. (SGGS 1420)

Without the True Guru, no one has obtained the Lord; without the True Guru, no one has obtained the Lord. He has placed Himself with the True Guru; revealing Himself, He declares this openly. (SGGS 466)

(sorry, the above quotes I could not write in punjabi font as it would not allow me. but you can reference them to the full shabad in www.sikhitothemax.com)

With all due respect, this is my opinion, and I am sure others as yourself may not share the same views. Bhul Chuk Maaf.

The Gurbani tells us numerous characteristics of the Sateguru:  Sateguru is complete, is spiritual, exists forever, has been existing  forever, is free from the cycle of birth and death, is divine  knowledge (SateGuru ke Bani), is divine word (the  Sabad/Gurmanter), is divine spirit (Jot), is residing in everybody,  is the intermediate link between the devotee and God, and is the  vehicle/channel to meet God, etc.

The Gurbani has addressed Sateguru using many names. Some of  these names are: beloved, friend, companion, Sadh, Sant, etc. If the  definition of Sateguru is not completely understood as per  Gurbani, this can lead to the worshipping of earthly ?saints.?  Understanding this principle is very important. Only this  understanding can stop this spreading of dehdhari (bodily)  Sategurus, Sadhs or Sants who are preaching their own holiness  and misleading people. In the Gurus? era, no one ever called each  other Sadh or Sant. Instead they simply called each other Bhai  (Brother/Sister).    In some places in Gurbani, the term Sadh or Sant is also used to  refer to God. Occasionally it is also used to refer to the people who  follow the path of Sateguru, the ultimate saint. In some places in  Gurbani, these earthly Sadhs or Sants are called thugs (thieves),  who mislead innocent people into rituals and away from the path  of Sateguru. 

Let us not generalize the dehdhari Saints in one basket of Fakes. Our 10 Guru and Bhagats had Bodies, they were Dehdharis Gurus in their Times. But at the same time let me point out that a Guru is a Guru not because of the body but of what is within the body that Guides us thru his/her Shabads and Kirpa. It is obvious the word Sant has been overly abused and in turn has created a stigma on such a status, even tho a Saint is a Saint regardless if one wishes to call him/her by Sant. Even today such Saints exist that are Pooran Bhramgianis, but are far and few.

121402[/snapback]

The Saint are clealry defined in Gurbani. As another penji mentions on the Ranjit Singh thread how come Baba Budha was not given the title of Saint ? The truth is that the title was never meant for individuals and it was only in the 20th century that people started to dish out the title.

These dere wale are not comparable to our Guru Ji or Bhagats and never will be. It is time we recognised what Saint means and stop referrring to any individual as a Saint. If we fail to do this then it is not too far away to when people will start to refer to these dere wale as Guru.

This article has already been refuted here: http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.php?t=7637

121461[/snapback]

Quoting a few lines from Kahn Singh J'is Mahan Kosh is not exactly a refute.

Fact remains that the Saint title has been used for our Guru Ji. I fail to see what an individual can do to get to the same level as Guru Ji.

During the time of our Guru Ji they did not give the Saint title to truly great Sikhs like Baba Budha Ji. I fail to see how people can now self appoint themselves as Saint.

The Gurbani has addressed Sateguru using many names. Some of  these names are: beloved, friend, companion, Sadh, Sant, etc. If the  definition of Sateguru is not completely understood as per  Gurbani, this can lead to the worshipping of earthly ?saints.?  Understanding this principle is very important. Only this  understanding can stop this spreading of dehdhari (bodily)  Sategurus, Sadhs or Sants who are preaching their own holiness  and misleading people. In the Gurus? era, no one ever called each  other Sadh or Sant. Instead they simply called each other Bhai  (Brother/Sister).    In some places in Gurbani, the term Sadh or Sant is also used to  refer to God. Occasionally it is also used to refer to the people who  follow the path of Sateguru, the ultimate saint. In some places in  Gurbani, these earthly Sadhs or Sants are called thugs (thieves),  who mislead innocent people into rituals and away from the path  of Sateguru. 

121402[/snapback]

The Saint are clealry defined in Gurbani. As another penji mentions on the Ranjit Singh thread how come Baba Budha was not given the title of Saint ? The truth is that the title was never meant for individuals and it was only in the 20th century that people started to dish out the title.

These dere wale are not comparable to our Guru Ji or Bhagats and never will be. It is time we recognised what Saint means and stop referrring to any individual as a Saint. If we fail to do this then it is not too far away to when people will start to refer to these dere wale as Guru.

121460[/snapback]

It is true that you do not become a Saint by merely calling yourself a Saint, Just as one does not become a Doctor by calling himself/herself a MBBS. This is not about a Title given to a Saint, It is about the existence of Saint who will not refer to themselves as saints. To such an individual who is beyond lables to him/her call him a Saint is irrelivent. They are what they are. When we GENERALIZE the word Saint to the 99% of the Fake Saints, we tend to push in that 1% who are truely SAINTS, Sadhus along with the fakes. Trying to remove the bad apples we tend to uproot the tree as a whole. As if all the apples on the tree are bad and more so we begin to think the whole tree is bad.

I refuse to beleive that there is not one good apple in a 1000 bad apples. There exists today such a Saint, who is Pooran. You can do what you wish with all the bad apples, but let us not be so ignorant to think there are no Saints in this world, even if they are 1 in a million.

The Gurbani has addressed Sateguru using many names. Some of  these names are: beloved, friend, companion, Sadh, Sant, etc. If the  definition of Sateguru is not completely understood as per  Gurbani, this can lead to the worshipping of earthly “saints.”  Understanding this principle is very important. Only this  understanding can stop this spreading of dehdhari (bodily)  Sategurus, Sadhs or Sants who are preaching their own holiness  and misleading people. In the Gurus’ era, no one ever called each  other Sadh or Sant. Instead they simply called each other Bhai  (Brother/Sister).    In some places in Gurbani, the term Sadh or Sant is also used to  refer to God. Occasionally it is also used to refer to the people who  follow the path of Sateguru, the ultimate saint. In some places in  Gurbani, these earthly Sadhs or Sants are called thugs (thieves),  who mislead innocent people into rituals and away from the path  of Sateguru. 

121402[/snapback]

I was talking to someone in regards to the question you addressed myself. "Can this vehicle be in the form of flesh?" I was amazed at the answer he had given me, as I would have never seen it as this point of view.

The answer can also be YES, the vehicle can be in the form of flesh. I won't be able to explain it as well as he did cuz my knowledge is incomparable to his. What he explained to me was the body/flesh is the vehicle and the soul/jot is the driver. The Jot that is inside the Guru Ji is the one that shows us the way to God thru Gurbani. Through this vehicle we see the path to God. As we as humans change vehicles through life, so did this Jot, as was seen through our Gurus.

Very good question indeed!! Got me thinking!