Amrit vela

Guest mehtab

of course it means gurmantar.. Sikhs dont chant har har.

They may as well

does it matter what name chanted?

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=43

har har naam milai thripathaasehi mil sa(n)gath gun paragaas ||2||

Obtaining the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, they are satisfied; joining the Sangat, the Blessed Congregation, their virtues shine forth. ||2||

you are right that one can remember god in any way.. such shabads as "koi bolae ram ram" prove this..

BUT gurmantar holds a special meaning for us as this is what guru sahib gave us. doing simran of gurmantar is "faster" or "more powerful". Thats the only way I know how to explain it.

These things are unexplainable and must be experienced by yourself.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

That is true. Guru sahib from the beggining told us to do bhagti on the gurmantar, waheguru. Ram, shiva, and many others are ways of saying god, but like Mkhalsa je said, you cant explain this really. But guru sahib told us to chant waheguru, waheguru. I was just little bit confused because I do waheguru, and the shabad said har har. But The shabad means chant waheguru.

BHULL CHUKK MAF

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

The problem is with the translation of the shabad. It's telling us 'har har jap jaap' and 'har nam dhiavo'. If you translate it properly using proper gurbani viakarn (or find a good punjabee translation like Prof. Sahib Singh's or get some Singh to read it for you and explain it, which is my favourite method), you'll find that it's telling you to meditate on the name of har (god) and chant the name of god. The name of god given to us to chant and meditate on is the gurmanter.

Using other names isn't the same thing as gurmanter. The gurmanter is the naam given to us by our Satguru, Guru Nanak Dev Jee. Other names can have great benefits, but according to gurmat, nothing close to gurmanter. Actually, any meditation will probably have some effect on your mind, soul, etc, but gurmanter is something completely different.

And the shabad, 'koee bolay raam raam' isn't telling anyone to say raam or any other mantar. These lines of the shabad are simply telling about how people are worshipping in various ways. For example, 'Koi nhavai theerath, koi huj jaai'. It's not condoning going on huj or bathing at theeraths, just describing what different people are doing.

• 1 month later...
vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 305

mÚ 4 ]

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

audmu kry Blky prBwqI iesnwnu kry AMimRq sir nwvY ]

aupdyis gurU hir hir jpu jwpY siB iklivK pwp doK lih jwvY ]

iPir cVY idvsu gurbwxI gwvY bhidAw auTidAw hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

jo swis igrwis iDAwey myrw hir hir so gurisKu gurU min BwvY ]

ijs no dieAwlu hovY myrw suAwmI iqsu gurisK gurU aupdysu suxwvY ]

jnu nwnku DUiV mMgY iqsu gurisK kI jo Awip jpY Avrh nwmu jpwvY ]2]

Fourth Mehl:

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes plea

sing to the Guru's Mind.

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

^_^

you just reminded of this Great shabad, its worth listenin

http://www.sikhnet.com/Sikhnet/music.nsf/e...036;Body/0.68C8

• 8 years later...

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Waheguroooo!!! Man I'm having the same problems!!!

Its tough waking up amritvela, when starting out...Here are some tips, that I got from some chardi kalaa Gursikhs, since I'm a lazy bugger myself ;)

FIRST AND FOREMOST: This is the one that works for me alllllll the time. Do 'Sohila' paath, then do an ardaas, with love asking for strength to wake up in the morning. I don't need an alarm clock or anything, and you'll be amazed at how it works!!!

- If you need lots of sleep(like me), try to goto sleep before 9, that way you get your sleep and wake up amritvela as well. Try to avoid watching tv, or jumping on the computer, because one clip leads to another, and a clip leads to watchin the show, same on the computer. So keep it in mind, I wanna put like a small note on my TV, saying in big letters "MAYA" that way you don't get hooked on watchin cuz you see the sign, ;) a small little trick I thought of.

- Drink lotttts of water when you goto sleep, like 2-3 glasses. FACT: Its better to drink water before sleeping, because it helps you digest the food as you sleep.

- Try

not to use a blanket, like a cozy blanket, or a "rajaee". Use either a 'chadar' or a 'kambal' which doesn't have fur, because that makes you lazy, and in amritvela, you don't feel like waking up because your bed is all warm! ;)

- Put the alarm clock moderately loud, and NEVER put it beside your bed, put it further away from you so, you have to walk to turn it off. If its nearby you usually close the alarm, and go back to sleep.

I hope that helps, if you follow one or any of these steps you'll have no problem getting up. Bhul chuk maaf!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Excellent points, will definitely try these. Although not sure if I'm alone in this, but the reason I generally have a problem waking up at amrit vela is because I'm always cold IN bed, and expect that it will be colder outside of bed lol and so I lay shivering in my rajayee rather than getting up. Usually by 7ish the sun is up and warms the room up. Any way to overcome this? :(