How Did U Find Him?

Heera Singh

I've heard of so many sikhs that just got tapped on the shoulder by a religius guy walking past them as they sat in the sangat and told to take amrit and they did!

i mean like wow, if someone tapped u on the head i wander if u would take amrit and keep with it as well but i admire these monas that take sudden turn for better.

maybe these religious guys are just seeing what that persons karam holds dunno..

but come on guys out with the stories of how u became a sikh.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji kee fateh

Well this is ma story. born in a traditional family with bibi baba chachi chacha cousins e.t.c my mum is fairly religious goes gurdwara sits in the darbar hall does seva and my dad is a typical PUNJABI anyway my story starts 5 years ago or sumfin like that i was at a gurdwara in walsall. in the langar hall there was pictures of tortured people from 1984 an i was like what the hell. i started askin about gettin into it and from there i got into sikhi even though i was still cutting my hair and eating meat. but i gained a LOT of respect for guru ji and for the gurdwara. I started going to the march at london every june with my cousin inderpal yes the freshy inderpal on this forum. Anyway so here i am bout 2 years ago and i felt that it was time to grow my hair and at the time i was ready to go india to sri

Hemkunt Sahib :) and i said to myself when i get back i am stopping meat. Unfortunately my mama ji died so i never went india and i lost sikhi for a while.

UNTIL........................ last year june my cousin inderpal asked me if i wanted to go to the london rally and so i said yes and from there i went uphill i started gettin into sikhi again and everything.I know that some of you may think im only into sikhi cuz of what happened in 1984 but it triggered a chain of events, i started learning bout sikhi and other shaheeds about the gurus and eveything and no offense to the other shaheeds singhs and singhneea but Baba Deep Singh Ji is a personal role model of mine and the 4 sahibzade they give me so much motivtion. By this years June march i was so into sikhi and understood many things about it. I went to the march in london again and on the way back i was really quite......GURU JI :doh: pray.gif had saved me and gave me a slight push and gave me the strength to say "No more meat, No more of cutting my hair" GURU JI found me and i found GURU JI and from then on i have been going Gurdwara LOADS, doing my nitnem getting involved in the true sangat and life has been great i see everything so differently now thanks to GURU JI :doh: :doh: but i have had a few arguements with family but i dont care no more because when im ready i'll give my head until then more seva simran and saadh sangat

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji kee fateh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !! pray.gif

I grew up in Toronto not knowing much about Sikhi except during our occasional Punjabi classes up until grade 3 where our extremely rude Punjabi Teacher would force us to sit and read sakhis in Punjabi in such a way where I would just not want to learn and would rather concentrate on joining school sports teams since that was a ‘big thing’ at our school. All of the ‘popular’ kids would join sports teams and then party after practices or games (keeping in mind this is grade 5/6).

I have an older brother and a twin sister. My sister and I always got along, however, when it came to parents, I always felt insecure about myself around her. I was constantly being put down (intentionally or unintentionally, I cant say) about my appearance. My sister was always a ‘princess’ and ‘so beautiful’ and ‘perfect’ in their eyes whereas I was ‘putting on too much weight on my thighs’ had a nose that was ‘too big’ my face was ‘too long’. I started applying makeup at a pretty young age thinking it would help me look ‘better’ and more ‘pretty’. I would get mixed messages like family saying one thing and my friends saying the opposite but being family, I chose them to be saying the ‘truth’. In grade 4 I was so insecure about facial hair I plucked my eyebrows from the centre and a bit on the sides. My parents asked me if I did my eyebrows that day to which I replied coldly ‘no, I’m busy doing work’. That night was the night my grandma told us the sakhi about Bhai Taru Singh Ji (my grandma would tell us a sakhi every night if we recited a few verses from Japji Sahib by heart). The guilt killed me inside and I never did my eyebrows again.

In grade 7 we moved to Brampton. Attending a school in which most of my friends were extremely ‘fashion conscious’, I too became involved in all that. Wearing make-up, cutting/styling my hair, ‘dressing to impress’ was a normal everyday routine. The girls who taught me how to apply just the right amount of eyeliner and eye shadow combinations were now looking at me to ask me to teach them how to do the whole ‘3 line design’. I was getting caught up in trying to make myself look ‘pretty’.

High school began and I was the same. I have always had more guy friends than girl friends but high school was a turning point in which guys would claim to receive ‘signals’ and the idea of dating was floating around.

My first boyfriend was in grade 10. I thought I knew everything. I thought I was mature. I would lie to my parents saying I was going somewhere and go somewhere else. I risked getting caught many times. I was so caught up because this guy told me he ‘loved’ me that I put many things on the line. I would skip school to be with him, lie to my mom who always trusted me. She trusted me so much she would never ask ‘why’ when I called home during school to tell her to ignore phone call from school because I’m not going to a certain class. Half the time I wouldn’t even have to say ‘I didn’t eat so I’m going to have lunch’ or ‘I have to study for a test’. My mom trusted me, her daughter, so much, even though most Indian parents hardly trust their daughters and don’t let them go out. Mine did … and I totally betrayed her trust. I would feel guilty every night. It wouldn’t get out of my mind. The thoughts of who I was becoming was beginning to eat me inside. Then I thought why not talk to the person who I supposedly trust so much and am doing all this for? He tells me he ‘loves me so much’ so why not. I talked to him many times about how I was feeling and he shot me down by saying I’m being selfish and thinking about myself.

Time went on, and my older brother started to get more into Sikhi. He would try to explain or have a conversation about Sikhi with me but I would just shoot him down and say ‘please don’t lecture me and let me live my life in peace’.

But … I wasn’t at peace. Something inside me felt so empty. I thought I had everything I wanted. I was being told I’m ‘pretty’, getting asked out constantly, made girls jealous, great marks in school, parents trust (even though I was fully betraying it), and a boyfriend. What more did I want? Isn’t that everything anyone could ask for in life? What more do you need to be ‘happy’ in life? I would ask myself these questions over and over again every night. I would lie awake and just think to myself what’s wrong with me? Why am I not ‘happy’? Why do I feel so empty inside?

My last year of high school, the year that would determine whether or not I would get into University. I slacked off n skipped many classes to spend time with my boyfriend. My marks dropped from 90’s to 80’s and even a few 70’s. I realized what I was doing and luckily it wasn’t too late. I got my marks back up and got into a great university. During my last year in high school I had a very negative attitude toward amritdharis because of a few individuals at my highschool who would spread rumours about me. Seeing those few amritdharis I made a stupid generalization and thought if that’s how amritdharis are I don’t want to be like that and I’m fine the way I am now.

During my first year in University, I met many inspirational amritdhari Singhs. There weren’t many amritdhari Bibian except for one Bibi who was into Sikhi a lot and took amrit afterwards. My brother was the president of the Sikh Students Association at the University and would try to get me involved and come out to events. My brother and me were living together and he had a huge impact on me. We were getting closer than ever before. We would share our thoughts and feelings and help each other out. For my second term at University they made me an exec for SSA and each day I found myself getting closer and closer to Sikhi. Each passing day my love for Sikhi would grow and grow and I slowly began to realize what ‘true love’ is. I found myself falling in love with Sikhi.

I stopped telling my boyfriend I ‘love him’ because I realized what I ‘thought’ love was, wasn’t love at all. What I had with that guy was pure attachment since we had been together for 3 years and that’s how it was ‘supposed’ to be. I talked to him about my feelings towards Sikhi but he was a guy who wasn’t much into Sikhi at all. We would have heated arguments because he would say something extremely offensive without thinking about how wrong what he’s saying is. He would call me selfish because I would want to hang up on him early because I wanted to get up for amritvela. He would tell me its up to me which path I choose but I should remember that I ruined a guy’s life and that guy has lost faith in love and would never be able to love again.

Something inside me that was growing at an incredible speed helped me become a stronger person and choose a great path. The love for Sikhi helped me through many things and answered all my questions. I didn’t find myself questioning myself from within every night anymore. All my questions were answered.

Inspirational people (who I won’t name to protect their egos tongue.gif ) helped me realize that no one else matters except for Guru Ji. I shouldn’t care what people on this Earth think of me because they’re here today, but there’s no guarantee they’ll be here when you take your next breath. Guru Ji will always be with you. Guru Ji has been with you from the moment you were created, to the moment you’re destroyed and forever beyond that.

After my second term at University (and during it) I began practicing to become a Sikh. The summer before my second year of University I started keeping strict Rehit.

I realized Guru Ji was always with me, it was just my ignorance that I didn’t acknowledge him.

Recently my parents told me I’m not at a ‘good age’ to take amrit and they forbid me to take it until THEY feel I am ready. After long discussions, they have accepted I am a mature independent person who is free to make her own decisions.

At work (the airport) I get a lot of people asking me about my religion. One man would always call me his ‘princess’ (in a daughterly way) and the first day I started covering my head at work he asked me what’s up, why is my head covered. So I told him about Sikhi and what each of the 5 khakhaars mean. He listened and we had a very good conversation and when we were done he said to me ‘you know how I always call you my princess?’ and I say ‘uh huh?’ and he says ‘well now I have every reason to call you a princess because that is like a crown on you’re head and you are a Kaur now’. That totally made my day seeing how people give you mad amounts of respect and it was pretty emotional. Made me feel great about myself and I look back at my life and see what was missing. Guru Ji was missing in my life. He gave me many chances to look back to him but I ignored them and kept going with my meaningless life. And finally now, Guru Ji found me and blessed me with the greatest gift of all. Sikhi.

With Guru Ji’s kirpa, I hope that day comes soon where I can give my head to Guru Ji.

Just random thoughts jotted down that came to me.

Bhul Chuk Maaf :)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !! pray.gif