How Did U Find Him?

Heera Singh

• 3 weeks later...

WJKK WJKF

Still haven't found him... don't know where to look!!

OK this is my story, you all gonna know now, lolzz!!

Well I was raised as a keshdari, first few words I remember of my life were " We are Sikh, we don't cut our hair"... stuck in my head all my life... even when I had those weak moments when I did go snip snip, :lol: ahem, anyways my family weren't very religious, more punjabi/kenyan than anything else. My mum used to be amritdari- though always encouraged me and my sisters to do paat. I never had any respect for my religion or Guruji, hardly ever thought about Him, and like most people didn't even know the names of all the Gurus.

Back a few years ago, I had some really rough times... one day my parents took me to the gurdwara and there was a man doing Katha, and I remember him explaining the lines of the ardas: Sri Harkrishan the thiaye jis dithe subh dukh jaye... After that time we hadn't gone to the gurdwara in a couple months and during the hard times I started thinking more and more about the katha, I even started listening to kirtan without being told to... cos i found so much sukh in it. Then came, my sikh youth club :@ , waheguruu. My parents decided to take us to an evening divaan where all the talks were in english. and they had chips and beans (hehehe).. it was there on the first lecture i heard by a well known guy- u no who u r , he was talking in general about ev sikhi-you could sense just his love for it.... i remember him tellin us a story about the boy who wanted to learn about sikhi so much but neva could concentrate, then a gyanni told him that his mind is like a bucket with a hole in it, will become cleaner as you pass more water in it, the same way bani will cleanse your mind as you do more of it. From that, even my parents thought it was a worthwhile activity to come to and have been taking me and my sisters there ever since... from there I learnt all my gurus names :umm: , a few pauria of japji sahib paat and started getting into kirtan myself. Then came jap 108, were we wer supposed to do Sri Japji Sahib 108, times, I only managed like 27 but I got my tounge round it ( i think :)). Then came the main lecture that inspired me, it was a yoga/meditation one, where the lecturer talked about how and why you are on this earth, how you are supposed to spend every breath of your life thinking of waheguruuu. While we were all gettin ready to do the abiyaas, I had my eyes closed and wow, waheguruu, the vibrationss!! Waheguruu... after that lecture I gave up meat, yay!! and started doing japji sahib a bit more often.

It was about spring time when I heard the atam ras was about to happen in the summer... sant anoop, waheguruu, was finally coming down to the west mids!! And this was just next level, i went to 4 of the sessions, one on my bday 2!! and the anand i got... woah... just amazing... best bday pressie Waheguru eva gave me!! Had tears in my eyes all the way through… I was soo moved by this love that all these kirtanies had for Waheguruu, just blissss… Then i did summat reeli stupid... Its all ma mates fault!!!... nah i was my fault too... bascially got into a wrong wrong crowd and went to a club event :D.... ma sikhi teachers gonna kill me if he reads this... bless him!! Yh so i went to the club had a "good" time clubbing to Sean Paul, hehehe. And then when I came bac couldnt sleep all night... all that anand i had felt the previous week was gone... i was so sorry... promised myself would never do anything like that again... the summer holidays came and i started doing my japji sahib everyday... feeling so bad… started on Jaap Sahib, guruuu. I then a couple days later went to an akhand path at soho road gurdwra, and I just remember sittin outside in the sunset listening to the path, so beautiful and I realised how blessed I was, lolls I had tears wellin up!!… Then I tied my first dastar J… only to see what I would look like!!! That day was soo blessed, I just felt like I had God’s hand on my head!!!

I had not thought of taking amrit, I always thought it was for old people but everyone I meet now say take it asap, for those of you who know me im a baby loolll!! Asap is next yr hopefully!!

I just wanna thank waheguru for all his kirpa and all those who put in all the effort to inspire me, it worked!!! They deserve a jikarra

BOLEE SO NIHALLLL!!!!!! (reply sum1 pls)

WJKK WJKF

SAT SRI AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! =)

Bhainjeee your so sweet and cute and hopefully guru ji blesses you with more happiness and more sikhi and more sweeet blissful simran! =) Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

Do more simran! Can never get enough! =) =)

<3 so proud of you sis

ok my story?

My mum is Amrithari and very knowledgable in the sense that if i had a question she would always be able to give me a reference to gurbani and tell me a sakhi and never just said i don't know.. so my upbringing had been very very sikhi based, we learnt punjabi, learnt kirtan and used to play at local gudwara every sunday. When we would go to learn kirtan, the girls weren't there to learn kirtan, it was more to check out the boys who were learning tabla, i used this as a scape goat and told my mum so she wouldnt let me go if this is the sort of thing that happens there.

I was very lucky and i didnt even know it, instead i just wanted to be anyone but me, all the time i wanted to be like my friends, I grew up with no indian girls at all and had to wear the tiniest skirt you can think of during P.E, so the pressure was on. So me being the terrible person I am, I gave into those pressures and cut my hair started to eat meat and stopped going to the gudwara.

After about two years of this, I simply got bored and felt empty. Although I felt I had everythin, popularity a boyfriend and good grades, there was something missing. I then started to attend more sikhi programmes and I used to just cry with guilt even whilst sitting within sangat. My pyar became stronger and I have now been given the great gift of Amrit. My contribution to all of this would be sangat makes the world of difference to a person's devotion. "Saadh Sangat Tar Jai Ga" It's so completely true. If anybody out there is like me and can feel themselves drifting even for the slightest flicker of a second- keep attending sangat and associate with those with the same goals and targets as you- as in naam japna and kirt karni- and your mann will never dohl. That's my experience anyway.

This hasn't led me to find him, but i sure hope its the right track.

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

From a plastic comb to KANGA

This all started in the month of July last year when my relatives went to India for a visit. I was staying with them (in Canada) and as it was supposed to be we had Guru Granth Sahib Ji parkash at our place. I never woke up early and rarely did a matha tek, how unfortunate was i? But chalo, after they were gone it was my duty to do parkaash and sukhasan di seva. It was almost impossible for me wake up early in the morning. I started doing parkash @ 6 am but i felt i wasn't doing the right thing. So somehow i managed doing parkaash @ 5 am. I would do parkaash, recite japji sahib realllllll fast (in about 6 mins :D ) and went to bed again. Thsi went on for about 2 weeks. I did parkaash and was doing whatever i had been doing for the past 24 years, the 5 chors were my best friends.

One day this BIBI who i had met in a yahoo chat room came online after a longgggg long time and informed me about this forum. The reason why she stopped coming online was, she was an amritdhari bibi now :@ . I registered on this forum and that was my initial step towards sikhi. learnt about sikhi and various jathabandis, learnt about the differences amongst the jathabandis but always had that feeling of love for the sangat. I feel the same is the case with other members here, they might disgaree on certain issues but they'll die for the qaum, die for the truth, die for their fellow sikhs. But chalo i tend to go off-topic a lot.

So 5 chors were my best mates tongue.gif , one day after sukhasaan i was having dinner( was eating BEEF kebabs :lol: . i have no idea what happened to me and i put whatever i was eating in the trashcan.). That was the end of it, I am a vegetarian since then. Now, I know having meat where there is SGGS parkash is totally unethical. I am not in that house now but i am working on convincing my relatives to respect Guru Ji. But yeah from that day i started doing parkaash and sukhaasan with utmost dedication.

As time passed i was making friends from this forum and yes i did learn a lot from them (chatting on msn), got scolded from some for not getting up for amritvela at times and trust me it did help. Learnt many many things that i had never heard of. GOOD SANGAT DOES HELP, either with pyar or by making you feel guilty tongue.gif . All in all what i am trying to say here is pyar for guru ji kept on increasing. The best part is all my problems were getting solved on their own. Finally i moved to a city which has a good number of youth into sikhi. Got a chance to meet a member of SS.

April 15, 07 4am was the time when i first enjoyed taking a kessi bath with cold water. With Guru Kirpa shakked amrit on April 15, 07. It was just an amazing experience, environment and look on the face of amrit abhilakhis can't be put in words. There were many guys who had trimmed beards but were all set to give their head to Guru Sahib, talking to a couple of them made my day. Insiade the atmosphere was just amazing, the NOOR on the faces of 5 piyaare cann't be described. This is something my mind came up with during the amrit sinchaar ceremony.

I saw a golak first, then i saw shastar and finally there was my beloved Guru Ji.

1. Golak - Maya

2. Shasters - Sipahi aspect

3. Guru Ji - Sant aspect

These are the three stages i saw that day. In the front there was amrit da batta, on that day i realised maya and sipahi aspect are necessary for a sikh. Maya just enoguh to survive in this world not to ruin our lives. Sipahi aspect to fight against tyranny. BUT the last which most of us tend to ignore is the Sant aspect, Guru Ji is there at the top and will grant us with the sipahi aspect if we are fully dedicated to the SHABD. SHABD will turn us into KHALSA. A person like me who never utters a word in a gathering was doing WAHEGURU WAHEGURU WAHEGURU jaap with maximum devotion and was admiring the MEH-MA of Guru Ji that day.

Amrit Shakko, Singh/Kaur Sajjo and take a step towards Guru Ji.

When fellow gursikhs say "Welcome to the family", hehe mann khush ho jaanda :) .

i love saying "Wahegurujikakhalsa,Wahegurujikifateh" to fellow sikhs now :umm:

Ok it's my turn...

I grew up in a non Sikh family, although we were very spiritual and attended church a few times a week. I got involve in as a Sunday school teacher, played piano at church and went to different countries to do volunteer work (which i loved!). However, in Christianity you have to believe in Jesus only if you want to be saved.

Having many friends from different religion in college, I started questioning some of my beliefs but never my love for God. Anyways I met with Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs. Actually the first time I asked a Sardar what religion he was, I didn't understand. I mean I had never heard of 'Sikh" before. So someone brought me a very general book about Sikhs. Now you have to remember that what was bothering me about my sets of beleifs was that other people were not being saved as they didn't know Jesus. So I opened up the book to chapter one and the first sentence said:

There are no Hindus, there are no Muslims. WOW!!!!!!

This simple but so profound revelation from Dhan Guru Nanak made such an impression on me: I mean I couldn't sleep for the next couple of weeks! I had the answer to what I was looking for. However it wasn't easy to review all the beliefs i had and upgrade them. I had many nightmares about going to hell and all that. I attended a samagam a while later and I could feel God's presence the same way I was feeling at church during worship time. It felt so good. I knew then that "No Hindus, No Muslims" was true! I was experiencing it!!! What matters is love for God, nothing else.

My parents forbid me to attend any more samagam or attend Gurudwara. I was devastated. I got married a couple of month later to a Punjabi guy. I was naive and thought all Punjabis were going to samagam. I know have children and I try to take them whenever we can to Samagam which is very hard. Although at home, i read them Babaji stories and we do Naam Simran together. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I feel terrible that after so many years I haven't progress much. (Perhaps it is meant to kill my ego?) That sure is having an effect.

I'm so blessed to have stumble upon this website, especially this thread. So inspiring. It'll keep me going...

Thank you all of those of have shared their stories d_oh.gifd_oh.gif

Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru

wow its amazing to read all this great stories...... welll i dont have a story .. im only 14 but there is something thay did inspire me.... my family is a sikhi family we go to the gundwara but we do eat meat and cut ur hair.. well i stopped eating meat when i was in grade 4 and i never cut my hair since im a gurl and gurls arent allowed in in a typical indian family... my brother cuts his hair... my dad took him..... well slowly my youger sister stopped eating meat and now my brother cut down... will guru ji kirpa my nanaji naniji mama ji and mamiji are all in guruji path... will the help of them we learned kirtan, started to cover our hair and hopefully by grade 9 i want to do chola,..... my mum said u have to wat untill im 18 to do amirt,,,,, im gunna do cholea and show her that im not going to break it,,, i dont blame my mum because she doesnt want me to break it... i basically started my path when i was in grade 1 and went to punjabi school but i learnt the meaning in grade 4 when i dtarted to go to gurmant classes naam simran (amirt vaalha and evenings) and camps... i figured out that i wont be alone to do all this.... have inspiration everywhere.... well in grade 7 last year i started going into the wrong path skipping lunch and all that other stuff... than over the summer i meant sanget thatr= really got be back and now im into sikhi i havent took amirt yet but i know my guruji will take me..... i hope i dont sound ego filled ......srry if i do

erm helooo im just gonna dive in so here goes...i felt realy wierd cos i been going through some emotional difficulties and would never discuss anything with ANYONE but after reading so many inspirational stories................mine aint anything like that but it may help me understand myself better and relise that other have also been through summat similar

im from a typical "jatt" family (but no in my family farms, the all labourers) as i guess im from a labourer's family ours was the typical meat eating bear drinking family, that when to gurdwaras on diwali, vaisakhi etc etc.................my dad however was probably as close as i could get to sikhi...........i never knew much about sikhi..........nor didi want to.............i remember my dad dragging me to Wednesfield Gurdwara, wolverhampton, uk and me sitting there either falling asleep or notunderstanding a word the granthies had sed.............but then i turned 11 yrs old..................i was a sickly child and never eat, put on weight etc and suddenly i began vomiting wheni ate...............long story short i found out i had a massive cancerous tumour in my pancreas and docs gave me bout 6 months to live..............but through this i still didnt appreciate God and got realy scared......................my dad started taking me to gurdwara every sunday and i still didnt feel any closer to sikhi and wrapped myself with fear of dying.............again long story short...........the did this big op to remove the cancer and i found myself in remission...............so slowing life began to return to normal and thoughts and behaviour still neverbrought me close to God...................

i began college.................i had lovely long hair (i now realise this ) up past my bum and i chopped it all off without a seconds though....................then the 5sins came swimming towards me and i got so caught up in it that God began even furthur ffrom my mind and i dived into a sinful and disgusting few months of my life......m,my folks got divorced and i never realy saw my dad again.................i'd been abused when i was younger and everything just came chrashing down on me and i began to litrlly self destruct............

then the pain started again...........vomiting etc was back...............two weeks later i found out the Cancer was back and had spread to multiple organs.................they started chemo......lost all my hair.....was even more ill............renounced God altogther, hated him for my suffering.................chemo didnt help cancer continued to spread and i went more and more off the rails.......id come home drunk most nights.................one morning i woke up and i had two tattoes and i did not remember having them done :@

then one summer my massi dragged me down to Sedley St gurdwara to listen to Sant Baba Ranjit Singh, (the realy young guy) diwan and i sat there all angry..........but then i actually started to listen................from that moment i knew that his words were there to help me anf guide me...........i know alot of stuff has been sed about him but for that moment in time, on that day, in those few hours, is words reached a part of me i didnt know existed...............i went home and my massi came the next day to and were were going to meet him................i didnt like the way people were forcing me to touch his feet......but you know wot some folks can be like

told him about my cancer..............(which i still have) and he told me to have sehaj path down my house...........i was like yeah right.....i could never do that..............two month later im getting up and 2.30am to prepar the langer at my house before Guru jee was coming to my house............for those 11 days i had my highs and lows but i did it!!!!!!!!!!!! i cried when maharajee saroop left my house............my cancer has been stable but even so often it worse.................i dont know how long i have and i dont realy care cos the sukh i have obtain through re-discovering who i realy am and when i come from..........words cant describe it.........................my kesh is growing back and i have finally found abit of peace.....................

i hate myself for all the bad things ive done and i will have too reap what i have sown but i would never change my life or what my illness to one day get better cos its thought this dukh i found Maharajee path..........im so thankful for everyday that Gurujee gives me bakshish for rise and amrit vela to do my nitnem..............and when i find im too lazy to get up i could weap at my own selfishness

i dont realy know what to think of Sant babajee but i know that if God resides in everyone.............i saw God in his words that day at that diwaan and thats what i cherish..........im by no means perfect cos alot of other stuff happend when i was younger and i still slip back into Narak but with Gurujee kirpa i hope that before my time comes i can take amrit.............cos at the moment im still looking for Him and keep forgetting that He is within me...............................

Bhul chuck maaf

(p.s. forgive my horrendus spelling cos i think faster than i type)

JustME

xx

Vaheguru...

every single one of us has our own unique experiences... diff situations cause us to get into Sikhi.. wha wi all hafta realize is dat, we don't pick Sikhi, God picks us to find Sikhi and to start following it..

there's many of us who come a 'bad' past, myself included... buh i dun tink wi shud hate ourselves or renounce our past for it... all'a these thingz are life experiences... they're wha made us who we are today.. who knows, if it hadn't been for dem experiences, maybe we wud'n be where we are today...

and then.. there are those of us who are born into a Sikhi oriented family... how lucky are they? i believe that these people (and there are several on dis forum) are continuing off from their lass life...

one thing is fully clear... no matter wha type'a lifestyle u come from, the love for Sikhi, our Guru, our Satguru remains throughout... it all comes down to LOVE... every single person in dis forum has, in one way or another, experienced profound love while on da path to sikhi... in some cases its BECAUSE of da love, dat some'a us start to pursue this path...

regardless, we are all SO fortunate to be given da opportunity to have his Glorious darshan, and to be a part of Saadh Sangat... there is nothin more fruitfull in dis world...

we are da youth.. and are da future of this Quam... we all hafta stick together... spread the love... spread the word of Guru Nanak ... and focus on Seva, Simran and Sangat..

may wi all stay in Chardi Kalaa!!

Vaheguru Jeeee Ka Khalsaaaaaaaaaaa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fatehhhhhhhhhh!!!