How Did U Find Him?

Heera Singh

Vaheguru...

one thing is fully clear... no matter wha type'a lifestyle u come from, the love for Sikhi, our Guru, our Satguru remains throughout... it all comes down to LOVE... every single person in dis forum has, in one way or another, experienced profound love while on da path to sikhi... in some cases its BECAUSE of da love, dat some'a us start to pursue this path...

regardless, we are all SO fortunate to be given da opportunity to have his Glorious darshan, and to be a part of Saadh Sangat... there is nothin more fruitfull in dis world...

we are da youth.. and are da future of this Quam... we all hafta stick together... spread the love... spread the word of Guru Nanak ... and focus on Seva, Simran and Sangat..

may wi all stay in Chardi Kalaa!!

Vaheguru Jeeee Ka Khalsaaaaaaaaaaa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fatehhhhhhhhhh!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaw pahjee beautifully put..............we are all brothers and sister fighting the same cause of truth and khalsa...................each and everyone of us is beautiful inside once we embrace the God that resides within us.................tuk my a loooooooooong time to realise this

i pray to God that todays youth and todays generation itself stops looking at the negatives and evils of each other and sees everything as pure as God intended it to be and love and support each other

waheguru

xx

SAT SRI AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! =)

Bhainjeee your so sweet and cute and hopefully guru ji blesses you with more happiness and more sikhi and more sweeet blissful simran! =) Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

Do more simran! Can never get enough! =) =)

<3 so proud of you sis

Me sweet and cute??? Nooo!! Nasty and not cute, lolll... buh yh i hope Guruji blesses every1 with seva simran and loadsa sangat!!!

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

inspiring phaaji

Vaheguru...

well I guess since I started this topic I should tell my story as well...

lets see... k....

well ... i was by no means born into a Sikh family... my dad was (and still is) an alcoholic... he cut mine and my brothers hair when we were really young (we started off keeping our kesh)... all 3 of us were basically 'forced' to live the punjabi lifestyle i.e. partying every week, eating meat, bhangra etc... etc... newayz, we were all headed down the wrong way really fast, since we grew up in the ghettos of toronto.. growing up we were all into the 'thug life'.. our family started coming to sangat when i was in grade 5, which is when i actually started keepin my hair.. at that point i was forced to keep my hair... but a year or so into it my dad cut it again... and then my momz froced me to keep it again... the next few years while in juniour high i started fallowing the gangsta lifestyle like everybody else around me... i started chillin wit older peepz who were also on the wrong track, most of them my brothers friends.....newhoo.. in high school... continued the wrong lifestyle... even though i still went to sangat... i dunno, at that point i REALLY loved goin to sangat... loved doin kirtan, playin tabla n stuff.. but didn't have the discipline or nething.. i continued keeping my kesh... my older brother turned his life around a couple of years earlier... he took amrit and all that good stuff... but me and my oldest brother were still on the OTHER side... in high school i got involved with gangs, girls n crime n all that stuff... all my friends were either drug dealers or in jail or something.. at this point my mom was really into sangat too... after a while... my dad wouldn't let her go to sangat... he was 'anti-sikhi'/'anti-sangat' kinda thing... main reason he didn't want her goin to sangat was 'cause it made her HAPPY... and bein an INDIAN MALE... he COULDN'T let that happen... rite?... ... newhoo... my momz basically stopped goin because of him, but us 3 brothers continued to go... as i got into grade 11 i kinda started changin my wayz... at that point sangat really started rubbin off on me.. as well we had a LOT of family troubles at home between my parents... my dad, from grade 8-12, left home on n off... through the years the problems just got worse... would abuse my mom n stuff... i had taken amrit jus a while before that, just basically outta nowhere... however, through my stupidity i didn't keep it and respect it...

newayz, i started gettin serious wit my life... changed schools... got 'decent' friends ... they weren't into the whole thug life... they were actually a positive influence for me... at this point i started focussin on my sikhi and studies more n more... from then on up until now, I became closer and closer to some singhs in Sangat... even though i still kept wit a lot of my 'old ways' they were still a HUGE inspiration for me.. basically taught me almost everything i know about sikhi (i'm not sure if they want their names mentioned, so i'll keep them gupt)... about 3 years ago we moved from the GHETTO to the suburbs of Toronto (Brampton).. at this point my parents were separated, but it was a good thing, 'cause it allowed all of us to focus on our sikhi and allowed my mom to go to sangat... we were all basically happier ... Living in Brampton, where bout 80% of the population is punjabi (hehehe) we basically started a new life for ourselves... this was a HUGE thing for everybody in our family... living here there's ALWAYZ some kirtan program or sangat goin on somewhere... i slowly got into goin to gurdwara for simran and started goin to other programz in the area... also, i got to attend the Sikh camps we had here... about a year after moving i started to meet MANY chardi kalaa gursikhs living here (which i would have never met livin back there)... they helped influence me to follow my sikhi (at this point i had already broken my amrit, but was keen on goin for pesh, admitting my faults and retaking it ... i was older now and was gettin serious bout my sikhi)... i told myself i didn't wanna make the same mistake... with the help of my brothers around me, i started keepin up wit my amrit vela, attended regular kirtan programz durin the week, and got focused on my studies (which were REALLY behind before i moved here)... i cannot express HOW much the singhs around me really inspired me... gursikhs like those, man, wow... i can't express in words how grateful i am to Guru Jee for directing them towards me...

... as time went on, all i could think of was going back to Guru jee... EVERY day I would think bout taking amrit... i started reading more Bani and it was all gettin clearer to me... everything kept pointing towards Guru jee, and me taking amrit... i alwayz thought to myself... if i die tomorrow then my whole life is wasted... i tried to become more disciplined and faitful towards my Guru... in that time a few amrit sanchars had already gone by.. one thing that was really hindering me was the fact that i had a girlfriend... she was actually very positive towards me takin amrit and actually helped me in some sense... however the attachment for both of us was really hindering this step... i had way too much kaam ... after a while i told her that i would be taking amrit soon, i didn't know when but i WILL be taking it, whenever Guru jee calls me to his door... and basically we stopped everything... it was hard lettin go, but i thank her beacuse she kinda pushed me too.. she was very positive about it so that helped me out...

time went on and i couldn't wait no more... i told my mom that if i died that day then my whole life would be wasted... in July there was a Calgary sadh sangat Samagam... i actually wasn't going to go to this at first because i couldn't afford it... but somehow my ardaas was answered... i booked my ticket on a seat sale and i got a really good price that i could afford... the second i hit 'SUBMIT' on the website after purchasing my ticket i KNEW, okay this IS the sign... i knew there would be an amrit sanchar there that samagam... and i had made up my mind way before about this...

calgary samagam came and i was so nervous and scared about goin for pesh.. but i talked to some singhs who put me to ease.. they really supported me... for me it was WAY overdue.. hehe.. i thought back to the first time i took it, and for me it was like spur of the moment... it seemed like 'the thing to do'... 'cause everywhere i looked people were taking amrit, all the sangat around me was amritdhari.. i felt left out... but this time... it was a decision made by my body, mind, and soul together... Saturday July 2, 2005 i was reborn a SIKH... i thank Guru Jee with all my heart for giving me another chance... i thank all the sangat around me for being there with me... from then up until now, i have been at peace... tha day i came back home i told my mom, if i die tomorrow i'll die happy and with guru jee... tha's all i ever wanted... (being a mother she didn't wanna hear me talk about death, but she was so happy to see me happy and with Guru Jee)...

i know without Guru jee sending me to them, i'd probably be in jail, dead, or somewhere in between... without his grace, and his hand on my head, i wouldn't have got anything... i still don't even realize everything he does ... but it is a life task (seva) to devote myself to him...

that being said... i still have A LOT to learn and am far from where i should be.. and i hope i can learn a lot from all of you... i hope you can all continue to inspire and educate me... i hope i can continue to be in the sangat of chardi kalaa gursikhs... i know i must've done somethin right in one'a my previous lives to have your guyz darshan...

'Bin Bhagaa, satsang n labai.... bin sangat mail, bhareejai jeeo'

challo... SHUKAR HAI!!...

i'm sorry for writing a whole essay... hehehe... hope i didn't waste anybodys time...

Dhan Vaheguru....

bhul chuk maaf...

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh..!!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Growing up

Growing up i was the typical punjabi kid you see out there. Had his hair but has no idea why. Just kept my kesh cause my parents made me from a child. Having kesh never really stopped me from being in the "bad crowd". In fact I was usually amongst the leaders of the "bad crowd". I had no sikhi love in me at all. I used to go to gurdwara at least a couple times a week, but only to play hockey, or talk to my friends. I remember numerous days in the diwan hall just confused and bored waiting for these raagi's to do Anand Sahib so i can go eat.

Any how, Highschool came around and i got into an even more bad crowd. When i was 14 most of my friends were 18-19, into doing weed, drinking and skipping school. I quickly became just like them, and in grade nine i took up smoking, weed, drinking and skipping school. When I was 17, I cut my kesh. I always wanted to cut my kesh but i never had the guts to do it infront of my parents. One day i called my best friend and i asked him to cut my kesh. He replied "you always say that man, u sure this time?". I replied yes. SO he came over and cut my kesh. At the time, I didnt feel bad at all. I really didnt know how great Khalsa is and how great Guru sahib is, remember i was just a typical punjabi kid.

I still remember I was too scared to go home after i cut my hair that i stayed away from home for 2 days, and only told my dad on the phone that i cut my kesh. Surprisly my dad wasnt really upset he told me "you made a mistake, and you'll eventually realize how bad of a mistake you made". I came home after 2 days expecting my dad to tell my mom. But he purposly didnt. I still remember the look on my mom's face, so much pain and dissapointment.

Looking back now, I remember everytime my friends got into "big" trouble, like jail time, charges, heavy fights, or anything really huge. I was never there. I started to not like what my friends were doing, but i couldnt break free from them totally. they were my "boyz".

The turning point

I heard some good singhs tell me, that when you get into sikhi your mind just thinks different. Sikhi things makes you happy, and other things just seem so bad. I wanted to quit smoking. Most smokers know its bad, but they dont have the will power to quit. Well one day I just decided that I dont want to smoke anymore (5 years being a smoker). I dont know where this came from, but i did a form of ardaas to vaheguru to help me quit. I just got a feeling of so much love and i got addicted to this pyaar. I quit smoking, and weed almost instantly.

I still drank though. But every time I drank and got drunk I would talk about Guru Gobind Singh Jee, and sikhs and khalsa. My friends all used to hate drinking with me, cause i would ruin the "buzz" by talking about religion. Every time we went out i would talk about religion, sikhi, everything. I used to tell them in a drunken stuper, "im gonna keep my kesh man, im gonna stop all this stuff", they would laugh and say "YOU!? hahaah..yeah right guy,you neverrr". I knew at that time that i wanted to keep my kesh. I was so determined. I didnt want to just keep kesh though and keep doing bad things. I wanted to be clean first then keep kesh. At this point i tried to change my sangat to more positive sangat.

The turning point was when I was asked by a Singh to play in a basketball tournament. It was some "baba deep singh" team. At the time I had no idea who Baba Deep Singh was. During practice I met young gursikhs in bana and kirpans and daamaala's. I admired them sooooo much. I never really met a true singh before, and i was soo happy to see them, that i didnt want to leave their side.

Around that time, I was chatting with some girl I knew on the phone and she wanted to meet up with me. She asked me to come to gurudwara to see her at night, becuase her parents are religious and they go to these all night keertans. She only wanted me to come to kinda hook up. I replied "i'll come to gurdwara, but im not gonna talk to you there. I always knew it was wrong to pick up girls at gurdwara. My manmukh self knew this much at least. At the time i was staying at my chachee's house who is amritdari, and i asked her if shes going to this "all night keertan". Shes told me yes. so i went. I walked into the main hall. it was FILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEd with Guru khalsa. I had no idea about this stuff. I sat down And started listening to keertan. from about 10 pm to about 12 am I sat there. My cuzins walked over to me and said they are leaving and told me to get ready. I couldnt leave the keertan I wanted to stay so bad. I just told them to go without me and I'll come home with my chachee. I think i was the only Mona in the whole Hall! At the end of the reansabayee My chachee brought me over to meet an old gursikh. (it was bhai Jeevan Singh) He smiled and gave me a fateh. After that day i really liked sikhi.

I downloaded Keertan from the internet and used to listen to it night and day. Rap music, other music wasnt appealing to me. Only keertan.

Going away from home

I got acceptance to University Away from my house. I wanted to go away so i accepted it. This was a great turning point in my life. I finally was broken free from my friends in my area who were drinking and what not. I was starting new and fresh. My first year of university I met good sangat. I quit drinking about 2 months into my first year, and I started keeping my kesh. It was funny. A bearded guy with a football tuke on walking around campus. Eventually my singh friends at university told me its time for me to put on a dastaar. They came over. My closest singh friend took off his daastaar from his head and tied it on me. when i looked in the mirror I felt sooooooo goood. I looked at myself my kesh my daarree and i felt so proud. I remember my old self when i was a kid, who used to hate my kesh and resent it, and now im looking in the mirror and im soo proud to display kesh. It was an amazing feeling.

Soon after I knew i was gonna take amrit. I had a very close friend and we both knew we were gonna take amrit but we were just getting ready. I prepared for about 2 years, used to do as much paat as i could, hang out with khalsa only, stopped going to clubs, stopped listening to music, just those things never appealed to me anymore.

The incident

There was a very big incident that happend in my life that really got me close with some Singhs. It was a tough time and I went everywhere for help and assistance but everywhere i turned I couldnt get help. Eventually some upstanding singhs came into the picture and totally helped out. This was the main thing that pushed me over the edge. I now knew where i wanted to take amrit. I wanted to be just like those singhs. So i decided to take amrit at the next amrit sanchaar they held. I soon realized that what they do is khalsa gurmat, and everything made sense to me.

Weekend of Amrit Sanchaar

I came to Gurdwara dressed in Bana, to listen to akhaand paat sahib before amrit sanchaar. I remember the bibi on roll sewa was such an amazing paaati and i admired her big daamala and blue chola. I listend to as much of the akaaand paat sahib as i could. It was there I got darshan of Gursikhs that i admire to this day. They gave me so much love and support, I think they could tell i was nervous about taking amrit. The amrit sanchaar was unbeliveable. There are many many things that happend inside with panj and during amrit sanchaar that i wont go into. But after taking amrit my life completely changed. I was reborn. Words cannot describe the power of amrit and naam. I urge anybody who hasnt asked for amrit from panj to do so as soon as possible. Your life will never be the same after. The pyaar that i feel inside with other Guru khalsa is unexplainable.

Presently

currently im trying my hardest to remain in sangat, have rehit, keep amrit vela and jaap as much naam as i can. When i look back into the past, I cant believe how i lived without Guru Sahib.

Growing up

Growing up i was the typical punjabi kid you see out there. Had his hair but has no idea why. Just kept my kesh cause my parents made me from a child. Having kesh never really stopped me from being in the "bad crowd". In fact I was usually amongst the leaders of the "bad crowd". I had no sikhi love in me at all. I used to go to gurdwara at least a couple times a week, but only to play hockey, or talk to my friends. I remember numerous days in the diwan hall just confused and bored waiting for these raagi's to do Anand Sahib so i can go eat.

Any how, Highschool came around and i got into an even more bad crowd. When i was 14 most of my friends were 18-19, into doing weed, drinking and skipping school. I quickly became just like them, and in grade nine i took up smoking, weed, drinking and skipping school. When I was 17, I cut my kesh. I always wanted to cut my kesh but i never had the guts to do it infront of my parents. One day i called my best friend and i asked him to cut my kesh. He replied "you always say that man, u sure this time?". I replied yes. SO he came over and cut my kesh. At the time, I didnt feel bad at all. I really didnt know how great Khalsa is and how great Guru sahib is, remember i was just a typical punjabi kid.

I still remember I was too scared to go home after i cut my hair that i stayed away from home for 2 days, and only told my dad on the phone that i cut my kesh. Surprisly my dad wasnt really upset he told me "you made a mistake, and you'll eventually realize how bad of a mistake you made". I came home after 2 days expecting my dad to tell my mom. But he purposly didnt. I still remember the look on my mom's face, so much pain and dissapointment.

Looking back now, I remember everytime my friends got into "big" trouble, like jail time, charges, heavy fights, or anything really huge. I was never there. I started to not like what my friends were doing, but i couldnt break free from them totally. they were my "boyz".

The turning point

I heard some good singhs tell me, that when you get into sikhi your mind just thinks different. Sikhi things makes you happy, and other things just seem so bad. I wanted to quit smoking. Most smokers know its bad, but they dont have the will power to quit. Well one day I just decided that I dont want to smoke anymore (5 years being a smoker). I dont know where this came from, but i did a form of ardaas to vaheguru to help me quit. I just got a feeling of so much love and i got addicted to this pyaar. I quit smoking, and weed almost instantly.

I still drank though. But every time I drank and got drunk I would talk about Guru Gobind Singh Jee, and sikhs and khalsa. My friends all used to hate drinking with me, cause i would ruin the "buzz" by talking about religion. Every time we went out i would talk about religion, sikhi, everything. I used to tell them in a drunken stuper, "im gonna keep my kesh man, im gonna stop all this stuff", they would laugh and say "YOU!? hahaah..yeah right guy,you neverrr". I knew at that time that i wanted to keep my kesh. I was so determined. I didnt want to just keep kesh though and keep doing bad things. I wanted to be clean first then keep kesh. At this point i tried to change my sangat to more positive sangat.

The turning point was when I was asked by a Singh to play in a basketball tournament. It was some "baba deep singh" team. At the time I had no idea who Baba Deep Singh was. During practice I met young gursikhs in bana and kirpans and daamaala's. I admired them sooooo much. I never really met a true singh before, and i was soo happy to see them, that i didnt want to leave their side.

Around that time, I was chatting with some girl I knew on the phone and she wanted to meet up with me. She asked me to come to gurudwara to see her at night, becuase her parents are religious and they go to these all night keertans. She only wanted me to come to kinda hook up. I replied "i'll come to gurdwara, but im not gonna talk to you there. I always knew it was wrong to pick up girls at gurdwara. My manmukh self knew this much at least. At the time i was staying at my chachee's house who is amritdari, and i asked her if shes going to this "all night keertan". Shes told me yes. so i went. I walked into the main hall. it was FILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEd with Guru khalsa. I had no idea about this stuff. I sat down And started listening to keertan. from about 10 pm to about 12 am I sat there. My cuzins walked over to me and said they are leaving and told me to get ready. I couldnt leave the keertan I wanted to stay so bad. I just told them to go without me and I'll come home with my chachee. I think i was the only Mona in the whole Hall! At the end of the reansabayee My chachee brought me over to meet an old gursikh. (it was bhai Jeevan Singh) He smiled and gave me a fateh. After that day i really liked sikhi.

I downloaded Keertan from the internet and used to listen to it night and day. Rap music, other music wasnt appealing to me. Only keertan.

Going away from home

I got acceptance to University Away from my house. I wanted to go away so i accepted it. This was a great turning point in my life. I finally was broken free from my friends in my area who were drinking and what not. I was starting new and fresh. My first year of university I met good sangat. I quit drinking about 2 months into my first year, and I started keeping my kesh. It was funny. A bearded guy with a football tuke on walking around campus. Eventually my singh friends at university told me its time for me to put on a dastaar. They came over. My closest singh friend took off his daastaar from his head and tied it on me. when i looked in the mirror I felt sooooooo goood. I looked at myself my kesh my daarree and i felt so proud. I remember my old self when i was a kid, who used to hate my kesh and resent it, and now im looking in the mirror and im soo proud to display kesh. It was an amazing feeling.

Soon after I knew i was gonna take amrit. I had a very close friend and we both knew we were gonna take amrit but we were just getting ready. I prepared for about 2 years, used to do as much paat as i could, hang out with khalsa only, stopped going to clubs, stopped listening to music, just those things never appealed to me anymore.

The incident

There was a very big incident that happend in my life that really got me close with some Singhs. It was a tough time and I went everywhere for help and assistance but everywhere i turned I couldnt get help. Eventually some upstanding singhs came into the picture and totally helped out. This was the main thing that pushed me over the edge. I now knew where i wanted to take amrit. I wanted to be just like those singhs. So i decided to take amrit at the next amrit sanchaar they held. I soon realized that what they do is khalsa gurmat, and everything made sense to me.

Weekend of Amrit Sanchaar

I came to Gurdwara dressed in Bana, to listen to akhaand paat sahib before amrit sanchaar. I remember the bibi on roll sewa was such an amazing paaati and i admired her big daamala and blue chola. I listend to as much of the akaaand paat sahib as i could. It was there I got darshan of Gursikhs that i admire to this day. They gave me so much love and support, I think they could tell i was nervous about taking amrit. The amrit sanchaar was unbeliveable. There are many many things that happend inside with panj and during amrit sanchaar that i wont go into. But after taking amrit my life completely changed. I was reborn. Words cannot describe the power of amrit and naam. I urge anybody who hasnt asked for amrit from panj to do so as soon as possible. Your life will never be the same after. The pyaar that i feel inside with other Guru khalsa is unexplainable.

Presently

currently im trying my hardest to remain in sangat, have rehit, keep amrit vela and jaap as much naam as i can. When i look back into the past, I cant believe how i lived without Guru Sahib.

waheguru thats so amazing man!