How Did U Find Him?

Heera Singh

• 8 months later...
I want to take amrit and Parents dont want me to take it till I'm in University no.gif What if i die? i said that to them, and they got angry and upset..

O well.. When I'm ready I'm sure Guru Ji will help me like He always has thumbsup.gif

Sorry about lack of insipration! unsure.gif What can I do.. it IS my life story rolleyes.gif

my parents said the EXACT THING to me too.

They said to wait till university and if i am able to balance both my studies and be amritdhari.

But what if i die before that?

I want to take amrit and Parents dont want me to take it till I'm in University no.gif What if i die? i said that to them, and they got angry and upset..

O well.. When I'm ready I'm sure Guru Ji will help me like He always has thumbsup.gif

Sorry about lack of insipration! unsure.gif What can I do.. it IS my life story rolleyes.gif

my parents said the EXACT THING to me too.

They said to wait till university and if i am able to balance both my studies and be amritdhari.

But what if i die before that?

good observation.

I like this thread, is there a way to subscribe?

My story …. :D I was 15

Well my family was not really into sikhi they would go to the gurdwara when there was a program or a wedding but that's it. It was the typical Panjabi family meat meat and more meat I was Mona and so was my dad we never had a single Singh from my dads side nor my mums may be from my mums in India but not in UK. My grand mas (bibi ji) bless her used to take me and my cousins to the gurdwara every day I loved it. :D

I was into sikhi even but was jus Mona I used to do parkash off gukta sahibs every day in my cupboard used to have 10 gukta sahibs and used to do parkash of 5. Two japji sahib ones one nitnem two sukhmani sahib gukta sahibs I always wanted to take amrit and grow my kesh but I guess was the people around me I.e. family, mates we used to live on a street where all Punjabi people used to live I hated it I tried to grow my kesh 5-6 times but ended up cutting it thinking what would mates say this and that I used to do ardass every day that guru ji let us move house let me keep my kesh and let us have a room for guru ji always that would be on my mind. Got to six-form and I would say to my mates I wanted to grow my hair they were all kool about it and help me out. I was not like every kid most kids when there in there teens would have music on there Ipods and mp3s but I would have kirtan and katha and when sumone would ask what u got on I would jus say path they would just look at me thinking a Mona with path on :6 hmmm. I used to hate music even when I was Mona

Guru ji kirpa mum and dad started to look for a new house and we moved right out off town we moved to a area where there was just white people that I loved I started to keep my kesh got a room for guru ji started to go gurdwara and met a bibi who does seva in guru jis darbar she looks after guru jis rumala sahibs she lived near our new house she would take and and drop me off home from the gurdwara she introduced me to guru jis seva I got sanchee sahibs in English and gurmuki from Southall sikh miss started to do parksah of them everyday then I wanted to take amrit but mum dad said wait till u end school and uni and wait till u get married I was like HELLLL NOOO :BL: lool

Sunday 15th April 2005 guru ji called me :D

On Sunday 15th April 2005 there was an amrit sanchar at our gurdwara put my name down 2 weeks

before I was the first one to put my name down never told my mum and dad anyways got up and got ready told parents that im going gurdwara but never told them I was talking amrit lool :BL:

Panj told us to wait outside and then got a phone call from mum asking y I have not come home I jus said to her quickly in Punjabi "im taking amrit bye" and put the phone down she phone me back saying do not take it yet ur still young I jus turned my phone of and left everything in guru jis hands :pray:

Panj called us in and guru jis kirpa I took amrit at 3.00 Pm waheguru best day of my life yet I was the only kid in the amrit sanchar :TH:

Phoned my parents and told them that guru ji gave me amrit and my mum jus said don't come home I was like waheguru pita ji its all in ur hands went home that night no one spoke to me parents never spoke to me for 2 weeks after every one found out that I took amrit my mums sister explain to her that u have to except what he has done then slowly slowly my parents started to talk to me :sleep:

Now I just keep my self to my self at home ;)

That's my story :wubc:

I thank guru ji for bringing me into HIS FAMILY and may guru ji keep me and every one on this path

And personal thing to everyone for those who want to take amrit from deep in my heart plz those who wish to take amrit plz do

We have come into this world alone and we will go alone

And if ur parents are stopping u like mine did guru ji help them but no one should never stop another to get into sikhi or take amrit

May guru ji bless u all with sikhi :pray: :pray:

sowwie it was long and sowwie for any mistakes made

My story …. :D I was 15

Well my family was not really into sikhi they would go to the gurdwara when there was a program or a wedding but that's it. It was the typical Panjabi family meat meat and more meat I was Mona and so was my dad we never had a single Singh from my dads side nor my mums may be from my mums in India but not in UK. My grand mas (bibi ji) bless her used to take me and my cousins to the gurdwara every day I loved it. :D

I was into sikhi even but was jus Mona I used to do parkash off gukta sahibs every day in my cupboard used to have 10 gukta sahibs and used to do parkash of 5. Two japji sahib ones one nitnem two sukhmani sahib gukta sahibs I always wanted to take amrit and grow my kesh but I guess was the people around me I.e. family, mates we used to live on a street where all Punjabi people used to live I hated it I tried to grow my kesh 5-6 times but ended up cutting it thinking what would mates say this and that I used to do ardass every day that guru ji let us move house let me keep my kesh and let us have a room for guru ji always that would be on my mind. Got to six-form and I would say to my mates I wanted to grow my hair they were all kool about it and help me out. I was not like every kid most kids when there in there teens would have music on there Ipods and mp3s but I would have kirtan and katha and when sumone would ask what u got on I would jus say path they would just look at me thinking a Mona with path on :6 hmmm. I used to hate music even when I was Mona

Guru ji kirpa mum and dad started to look for a new house and we moved right out off town we moved to a area where there was just white people that I loved I started to keep my kesh got a room for guru ji started to go gurdwara and met a bibi who does seva in guru jis darbar she looks after guru jis rumala sahibs she lived near our new house she would take and and drop me off home from the gurdwara she introduced me to guru jis seva I got sanchee sahibs in English and gurmuki from Southall sikh miss started to do parksah of them everyday then I wanted to take amrit but mum dad said wait till u end school and uni and wait till u get married I was like HELLLL NOOO :BL: lool

Sunday 15th April 2005 guru ji called me :D

On Sunday 15th April 2005 there was an amrit sanchar at our gurdwara put my name down 2 weeks

before I was the first one to put my name down never told my mum and dad anyways got up and got ready told parents that im going gurdwara but never told them I was talking amrit lool :BL:

Panj told us to wait outside and then got a phone call from mum asking y I have not come home I jus said to her quickly in Punjabi "im taking amrit bye" and put the phone down she phone me back saying do not take it yet ur still young I jus turned my phone of and left everything in guru jis hands :pray:

Panj called us in and guru jis kirpa I took amrit at 3.00 Pm waheguru best day of my life yet I was the only kid in the amrit sanchar :TH:

Phoned my parents and told them that guru ji gave me amrit and my mum jus said don't come home I was like waheguru pita ji its all in ur hands went home that night no one spoke to me parents never spoke to me for 2 weeks after every one found out that I took amrit my mums sister explain to her that u have to except what he has done then slowly slowly my parents started to talk to me :sleep:

Now I just keep my self to my self at home ;)

That's my story :wubc:

I thank guru ji for bringing me into HIS FAMILY and may guru ji keep me and every one on this path

And personal thing to everyone for those who want to take amrit from deep in my heart plz those who wish to take amrit plz do

We have come into this world alone and we will go alone

And if ur parents are stopping u like mine did guru ji help them but no one should never stop another to get into sikhi or take amrit

May guru ji bless u all with sikhi :pray: :pray:

sowwie it was long and sowwie for any mistakes made

akaaaaaaaaaaaluhh!!

vahegurooo!!!

itss an ghettttttttooo streeeeet :p:p :P :D

The stories here are amazing. Mine is not so entertaining.

I was born into a Sikh family. My mum used to read alot of stories to me when I was a baby. I knew Sikhi from the beginning. I started learning Kirtan when I was 6 years old on the vaja. Both my parents were musical: Dad and Mum both knowing Tabla. Around 12years old I started learning Sitar. My sister did the same as me but she started Sitar early and my other Sister is a tabla child.

As children we did a lot of things together with my mum. She taught us everything. We would do paath together. My mum started teaching us Sukhmani Sahib paath and meanings when we were around 8 years old.

I was really inspired by my mum. We had this library collection of Sikh books in our house. Only one of the books were in English. The rest were all in Punjabi. I used to hate the way I could not read the other books. So i pushed myself at Punjabi class. I got excellent grades in those exams. I would read the books in my spare time. I found Shiri Guru Nanak Dev Ji fascinating. I remembered the story of him and the snake protecting him and how he fed the Pandits. Things like that really amazed me. Secretly I wanted to be Guru Nanak Dev Ji but I never told anyone in case they told me off.

Then for one of our bed time stories my mum told me about tru pralaad. That was a big day for me. I found Bhagti an interesting and almost magical concept as a child. My mum told me there is rab ie God and to get to God u must do bhagati. I must have been about 8 years old when I told my mum not to disturb me as I am going to do intense bhagti. I think that only lasted 2 days. I was really upset when it did not work. Then my mum told me about Bachitar Natak and how long the 10th Guru spent praying and how you cannot get things quickly but you must keep trying. This was also when I learnt about Baba Fareed.

I then spent the rest of my childhood bonding with various figures in our sikh history. The 8th Guru was cool for me cos he was a child Guru and so I used to think he was one of me. I can honestly say my mum taught me many things and its because of her I am Sikh. I don't think I can write it all here but one thing was for sure - before I hit my teens I knew more about Sikhi than the average Amritdhari Sikh. However on the outside I looked like a normal Punjabi girl with my two plaited braids. My hair was never cut but it was never covered.

For the whole family however there was a major turning point when we went on Yatra in India during my teens. I don't think I learnt much on the Yatra but I got to see all the places I had heard about. My mums family were Nihang Singhs so she started to tell me about that heritage. I learnt Gatka from my Mama Ji's in India and got a Bana made too.

I now wanted complete Sikhi roop. Soon after Yatra I therefore stopped having a braided poiny and instead I started wearing Keskhi. This happened when I was in my teens. It was shocking as suddenly I went through a lot of bullying.

Even though I was always Sikh I now had to deal with prejudices amongst other things. I only survived this because I knew so much Sikhi from my Mum. I put up with it and I soon found people respected me and to this day my old school friends call me and tell me how much they look up to me. I remember one of the things I got bullied about was not listening to the same music as them. The saddest thing was that the bullying campaign was led by another Sikh girl who went around telling everyone I was 'sad' for being religious. Some people used to call me Aunty Ji. It wasn't very nice.

University was different. By this time I had matured. Importantly I was confident in handling prejudiced people. I think the biggest thing for me was learning how to advocate myself. In my teens I simply put up with the bullying. Looking back I spent alot of time thinking why they were being mean, when actually I should have shared sikhi and explained philospohical idea's to help them understand. I've now learnt its about educating them cos people make fun of things they don't understand. In my experience I found the white people listened and hence accepted me more.

Nowadays I don't get too wound up on what people think. Everyone is different and sometimes you have to accept some people will never understand. I have not taken Amrit. Lots of people mistake me for an Amritdhari as I live enough of the lifestyle to be an Amritdhari. However I don't want to reach a minimum standard. I want to be the best I can. So I could have taken Amrit ages ago but instead I am waiting for the right moment for when I feel I just need to take it! I have given myself a mini aim and that is to hopefully take Amrit before I am 25....I am 22 now so thats in the next 3 years :)

• 2 weeks later...

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

I hope my story will be inspirational to the sangat.

My family is fairly religious, but my parents have not taken amrit. My grandparents have but none of my cousins or aunts/ uncles have, so i was not introduced to the saadh sangat very early and i was not born in a gursikh family.

Those who are, God Bless YOU!

Anyways, my dad was a drinker, and still is. My mom is very religious, but did not take amrit (yet i hope) and my brother , unfortunatly is in a wheelchair, but he believes in Waheguru alot.

What really inspires me the most is to see sooo much faith my brother has in Waheguru that one day he will start to walk, and everyday i pray to Waheguru to help my brother to start walking very soon.

But that isn't quite all the inspiration in my life. I have many moments that i have realised waheguru.

I didn't find waheguru, Waheguru found me and everything that happened in my life always led to waheguru.

Before i was 11 years old, i would go to the gurudawara when there was a wedding, akhand paht, etc.

My nani ji took my brother and i to the gurudawara most of the time. But i didnt understand kirtan or katha, so i would run around with other kids at the gurudawara... i didnt know how to respect waheguru or to be more serious in asking my nani ji what the kirtan was about or what waheguru was saying.

During ardaas i remember i would just stand and look around at others, not knowing what the Singh was saying in the microphone.

I started doing my eyebrows at the age of 10 after whining and begging my mom because i thought i was hairy and everyone made fun of me. this was a bad decision on my part when i look back at it.

When i was 11 years old, i started going to a class every fridays called the Gurmat Training Institution with my mom. Harmeet Singh uncle (the teacher) would address issues and problems many teenagers and families face on an everyday basis, as well as understanding sikhi and keeping the rahit. my brother and my dad were unable to go due to my brother's disability.

I stopped eating meating at the age of 12, a year later after watching a slide show a singh made aboiut eating meat. Guru ji's kirpa, my mother and my brother also stopped eating meat. My dad however still eats meat, but with guru ji's kirpa, he will help my dad aswell.

My dad isn't "bad", he is religious and believes in waheguru, but its the drinking alcohol and eating meat makes him that seperates him from being EVEN more closer to waheguru.

So as years went by, i kept attending the friday classes, and they helped me start doing jap ji saahib everyday.

Eventually at 15, at the friday class, a Singh came to the class and told the sangat that those who want to learn how to read gurbani (jurmai akar) form the pothi saahib can attend it on fridays from 6-8:30.

I did not know how to read punjabi , i read jap ji saahib in english and i didnt want to miss the Gurmat Class, But my mom told me to come and focus and listen as we read from the pothi saahib. The singh (teacher) knew i didnt know how to read punjabi, but he kept motivating me to keep reading and follow each letter as he read and i said it right after him.

WITH GURU JI'S BLESSING i learned how to read punjabi just by attending these classes of reading from the pothi saahib.

My mom kept me focused and made me read punjabi at home.

I know it sounds like a miracle and it happened so fast, but it took some time, but it was guru ji's blessings that helped me. If i didnt know how to read punjabi, i dont even know how i would have been able to read from the pothi saahib or EVEN read gurbani in general.

Let me go on with my story, I started to slowly understand gurbani and i am learning something new everyday.

I slowly increased the paht i read in the morning everyday and i now read the entire nitnem in the morning. I started waking up amrit vela.

How did i start doing this?

Well, Waheguru ji's kirpa, i went to a white high school, so there werent many indian girls who u know "show off, think they are all that, make other girls feel lower or less than them". I am not ssaying every girl is like that. Im sorry to offend anyone, but i was like that in elementary school. But in high school i didnt have any distraction . yeh, there were some indians, but i really didn't care. Doing paht and listening to kirtan was personal to me. I didnt share about this to my friends because i didnt want their "opinions" to influence me.

I started listening to kirtan because i felt sooo much pyaar and happiness. i never felt this way if i listen to western hip hop/ rap music. Ever since i was little, that western music wan't my think, i pretended to like it because my friends did, but i was never happy when i listened to it.

When i listen to kirtan, i begin to tear up because there is so much power and love in every kirtan and shabad i listen to.

i started going to smagaghams, simran, rainsbhyee kirtans and my pyeare for guru ji just got stronger and stronger, and still is getting stronger

Now, i am starting university. i am on the path of taking amrit really soon. But my mom believes i should do a year in university and then take amrit because she doesnt want me to take amrit and then stop because i cant handle it. She wants me to balance. she wants me to keep the sikh rahit. I respect that, but what if i die tomorrow. i didnt take amrit, therefore i wont be able to be with waheguru.

I really want to take amrit!!!!

an even more inspiration for me to take amrit is to clean my slate. i have made alot of mistakes in my life, i also wasted 18 years of my life without taking amrit.

I also think, waheguru has blessed me in sikhism, and blessed me to atleast think of taking amrit, i hope one day this will come true.

my birthday is coming up and i want to take amrit on my birthday. I have a sukhmani saahib paht at the gurudawara for my birthday and I AM SOO TEMPTED TO take amrit then because it is the PERFECT TIMING!!!!

but i leave it in God's hands to help me take amrit.

i am waiting for that day. I want to take amrit.

Bhul chuck maaf.

Im sorry its long and i hope i sent my message across to u all.

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh.

:sunsingh: Such Inspiration on this thread... tearfully do I read these posts...