What Canadians Really Think Of Sikhs

Singh47

In response to the Kirpan, here's what the Canadian public has to say. What a Multicultural and accepting place! The fact that Balpreet Singh is born and raised in Canada makes no difference and newspapers like the Ottawa Citizen allow comments like this to appear:

Name: Citizen A

Email: ashamed to be Canadian

For God's sake. When are we going to put an end to this and start putting these people in their place? If we went to there country, we would have to follow the rules and customs of their nation, so why is it that when they come here they are not expect to give us the same common curtise? They don't like it here than leave. In this country, accurding to our laws and custums, carring a wepon is a crime and something that is considered intollerable. Yes there are Canadain custums and traditions, but we know little about them, because we allow immagrents and refugees to come here and do as they please. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Every other nation protects their customs, traditions and laws exept Canada. If Shikes are allowed to carry weapons, then I should be allowed to carry a weapon as well. As matter of fact we should be allowed or not allowed to carry weapons. One nation = one set of laws. If I got into fight with one of them, I would use a weapon, because they have one, period

Name: Jon Citizen

Email: n/a

If you move to a different country that is mostly Judeo-Christian and you come from the Middle East or India you must accept that our culture and beliefs do not support transporting a sabre or sword on our person (i.e. body). While Canada has been spared terrorist activities (so far) most travelers on a train or plane live in places where terrorism is a constant threat. I am always amazed that the first thing that many of these people from radically different cultures from ours learn is how to scream discrimination and how to file a lawsuit.

Name: Modeno

Why oh why does it have to be us Canadians who have to kneel when faced with some kind religion? Now as far as I know, Via rail is Canadian, so why should they try to do something regarding someone getting on the train with a dagger strung around the belt? My God! when are we going to wake up and put our pants on and tell these people that if they want to live in Canada, they will have to abide by the laws of the land. Religion was invented by men, so don't tell me that God Almighty told them to wear a dagger at all time! I really wonder what would happen if we tried to do the same things in their country? We would most probably get shot on the spot!

Name: Sean P. Hogan

Just another example of how the immigrants in this country are trying to shove their beliefs down our throats. If you have to wear a dagger as part of your religion, it doesn't say much for the religion. At the same time, they don't care about the safety of passengers, just themselves, so selfish and so uncaring.

Name: Andy

When are these people going to learn that we have laws in this country that they have to abide by if they wish to live here.

We do not allow citizens to carry weapons, religious or not, end of story.

Whether or not you worship God, Allah, Vishnu or Casper the Friendly Ghost, you will have to do it without a knife, M16 or ground to air missile launcher. If you cannot abide by these rules, there are plenty of medieval middle east countries who can accomodate you.

For more enlightened comments go to: http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen...21-b35a9a21aa50

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

I find it hilarious that a whole country of immigrants are calling others immigrants.

Learn one important lesson from the Jews...stay strong as one community and don't start caring about what others have to say. People will always talk and moan.

Either that or tell THEM to move elsewhere...Sikhs have been in Canada as long as, if not more than the other communities.

What really annoys me is the way these Canadians say ‘these people’ when referring to Balpreet Singh and other Sikhs. So basically what they are trying to say is that it doesn’t matter that Balpreet Singh is born and raised in Canadia. He feels Canadian and thinks of Canada as his country, but just because he does not look like them he is automatically a non-Canadian, he is part of ‘these people’.

first of all the the first guy thinks he is talking about "Shikes." Also, it seems after reading those comments they are thinking about intolerant Muslim nations which wuldn't let canadians practice their faith....It's not that they don't like sikhs, i think its that they don't even know who sikhs are.

That is our fault to an extent. Sikhs have been in canada for a very long time, but i'm sure most have been telling everyone there that, hey we are indian...indian can mean hindu muslim sikh whatever....now they are being lumped together with all minorities from india....

Gorai on the whole are always gonna dislike us, most of the time its covered up, but when you allow them to post under a fake name their real feelings come out. Even the papers are biased towards Sikhs, even if they play it of like their not...

dont look for support from anyone... realize its just a poltical game, and learn to play it...

only time someone is going to respect you is when you have more power over them

waheguru ji kekhalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

Pyare jio, I think you should not see these opinions as reflective of canadian public opinion. Similarly in UK alot was being said after the Behzti. Often only people with pre-conceived opinions usually respond to these events. Canadian sikhs rather than accept it, should respond in a positive intellectual manner. Point out things, like since when has Canada become a country which judges someone religion. Point out he is a Canadian citizen, who is law abiding, civil, intelligent. He is not an immigrant, but a Canada born Sikh youth. Canada is mosiac of cultures, it is not USA, and definately not a country who should be forced to accept Christianity.

In UK after Behzti, if you went on any messageboards like Channel 4, The Birmingham Rep, SKy news, etc, even The Times newspaper, Sikhs debated there views very well. So must Canadians. They need to write to Canada.com, Ottawa Citizen, in an intelligent manner.

In UK, Sikhs are seen as the acceptable Asians. Hardworking, affluent, law abiding, intelligent, and accepting as the most succesful minority group. In Canada, Sikhs seem to have yet to find a coherent voice which only educated youth can bring. You cannot wait for Jathas, or Gurdwaras to sort themselves out and represent you. Youth must start organising themselves and speaking on behalf of Sikhi in a articulate manner.

Canada Youth need to spring into action. List on the public information messageboards and main newspaper sites. Put them on Tapoban, sikhsangat, WIN, and other sites, so Sikhs youth worldwide can aslo respond. Flood them with emails supporting Balpreet Singh. Where there is debate like in Ottawa Citizen, respond in a mature articulate manner, in concise mails with clear point. You need to influence opinion with debate, not accept it.

- Mention, you are proud to be a canadian, and also proud of being Sikh.

- You cannot see why people should be offended by a kirpan, when in other countries like UK, Sikhs are freely open to wear them without incident.

- Mention only orthodox Sikh who do not drink, take intoxicants and live to a strict code onf conduct beased upon mediation and service to humanity are allowed to wear them.

If anyone has good sample emails then they should share them.

waheguru ji kekhalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

first of all the the first guy thinks he is talking about "Shikes."  Also, it seems after reading those comments they are thinking about intolerant Muslim nations which wuldn't let canadians practice their faith....It's not that they don't like sikhs, i think its that they don't even know who sikhs are. 

That is our fault to an extent.  Sikhs have been in canada for a very long time, but i'm sure most have been telling everyone there that, hey we are indian...indian can mean hindu muslim sikh whatever....now they are being lumped together with all minorities from india....

129349[/snapback]

.........Also to add to the fact we have been calling ourselves Indians, SOME or quite a lot of our people now these days have also got themsleves known as "gansters" and "pimps" with all the different spiky hair cut rubbish or the trim line beards and blonde hair highlights (epecially in Canada and America) - how on earth are the other communities like the English suppose to differentiate us from others if we ourselves can't keep the beautiful Sikhi Saroop Sree Guroo Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj has given to us to make us a distinct nation?........

.....Again, also the fact that SOME or quite a lot us have become to be known as the biggest and heaviest drinkers in the pubs and clubs!!! - more like alcoholics!!!!

It is upto our individual selves to try and take part in every Panthic event happening possible and to help educate those who do not know of our Sikhi, not expect them to automatically know about us!

No offence to anyone - This does not apply to everyone as their are many Chardee Kalaa Gursikhs around as well - but these are the sad facts in our community these days!!!

Daas De Vichaar, Moorakh Dee Bhull Chuk Maarf Karnee!

d_oh.gif Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsaa, Vaheguroo Jee Kee Phateh!!! d_oh.gif