Soul/mind

sevak

My limited knowledge leads me to believe that the mind is exactly that which we must defeat. The heart is pure, however, the mind is afflicted with tortuous diseases, the most widely recognized being the five vices - kaam, krodh, lobh, moh, ahankaar.

I believe Mann Jeetae Jagg Jeet to mean, simply, if you can win over your mind, you can win over the world. ie defeat the rog that afflicts your mind, and you can defeat all of the maaya that afflicts all of this world. You will remain detached from all of the falsehoods once you have conquered your mind.

bhull chuk maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

In essence, our mind is our greatest obstacle in reaching God. But the body can not function without the mind. So instead of the mind controling us, through the 5 evils, lets use Gurbani and Naam Simran to put a leash around the mind so that we can control it. When listening to Kirtan or Paat or Naam Simran, if you listen with your mind turned off, then you can feel the power of Guru Sahib and your mind is stable and you "taste" the ras, I have heard this in kathas.

Bul Chuk Maaf

In gurbani its also said that the mind is the image of vaheguru. We cant see the mind as jot saroop though because of our haumai. Funnily enough gurbani also quotes our haumai to be a veil which is as thick as the wings of a butterfly :) @ But basically if we conquer our haumai then our mind will become attached to naam rather than wordly attractions. d_oh.gifd_oh.gif :TH:

• 11 years later...
On Sunday, October 30, 2005 at 3:36 AM, sevak said:

vaheguru ji ka khalsa, vaheguru ji ki fatehhh

mann jite jag jeet  what does it mean .. ?

The sentence you ask for, means, one who has defeated the mind, has won the world.

The world attracts us, as long the mind  overpowers us, thus we run after the wolrd looking for our vaasnas  to get them gratified.

But if we follow the updesh of Guru Jee, as per, Prabh ka Simran, man kee mael jaae, then, the mind gets purified.

And once the mind is purified with His Name, it stops running after worldy pleasures, then the soul gets freed from its clutches, and soars higher and higher by boarding the Jahaaz of Naam, until it reaches its True Home, Sach Khand.

Mind is the only obstacle between the soul/jeev atma and Wahiguru. Once it is defeated, then there is no string which can hold the balloon of any soul, in the mayavee creation.

Sat Sree akal.

8 hours ago, singh598 said:

Mind isn't the only obstacle.  If I remember correctly Gurbani states there are 50 things against it ( sorry can't remember the sentence)

if you listen to the katha of that page it explains all 50 of them such as 5 senses and 5 ras and 5 chor that's 15 

But all these 15 mentioned are due to the mind. Who gets the gratification in them all?

Of course the mind.

Who creates paap or punya? Of course the mind.

Not the soul.

That is why we can say, mind is the barrier.

The soul is a particle of  that Supreme Truth, Akal Purukh, Sat Chit Anand, thus karmaless.

Sat Sree Akal