When To Take Off Dastaar?

Guest _Gupt_

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaspaul Singh Ji

It is irrelevant what your Panj Pyare told you. A Patka is certainly not what Puratan Singhs or Guru Sahib wore so there is no reason for you to change the headgear of the Khalsa from anything other than a turban.

A keski does not neccesarily go over the ears, and is usually tied so it is looser than a Patka as the tension is more easily distributed.

You can consult local Sangat if you do not know how to tie a keski.

For our personal comfort we should not sacrifice the Rehat of old. There is no excuse substituting Guru Sahib's Keski for this new manmat modern style Patka.

Khalsa should be Tyaar-Bar-Tyaar at all times. Guru Sahib could give you Darshan at any moment. Will you be ready for Guru Sahib's Darshan in a Harbhajan Singh Cricketer-Style Patka or Kala-Style Doo-Rag?

When you joined the Khalsa, you agreed to give your head at any time it was needed. Any instant Guru Sahib called, you promised you would be ready.

That's wear the concept of tyaar-bar-tyaar comes from. Even when bathing, a Sikh is with his/her kakaars so they are ready.

If you are sleeping bare-head, you are not tyar-bar-tyar. There is every chance that you will need to do seva at night if called. If you are bareheaded or wearing a patka, I'm not so sure you're tyar-bar-tyar.

I also feel keski is kakaar so I can't be apart from it, but even those who dont' feel that way I think can see that a small dastaar is needed.

A Patka is perhaps the ugliest and most undignified head-dress I have ever seen.

You know what, when it comes down to it all I really dont think its going to matter much what you look like on the outside...I dont think theres a such thing as sin, Be a good person man, and God will take care of you, thats all it is thats Guru Nanak preached LOVE! Thats just my 2cents...oh and I dont really like doo rags, I was just saying :lol:

guest veerji .. thanks for your comments.. i am not changing any rehat or beliefs oranything.. i think what i do is exceptable in terms of rehat wise.. i have consulted many singhs and there is nothing wrong wit wearing a 'patka' at home .. i wear it ALL the time at home .. and yes i wear it while i play sports.. i play hockey i am a goalie and i wear a patka ..

everywhere else i go i wear a dastaar..this strictness that people put over us is what scares off people away from sikhi .. trust me i know ..

i got tons of mates that are talkin behind singhs backs cuz of how narrowminded some are .. how some just keep to themselves and dont include others ..

anyway .. i hope i didnt say anything wrong .. stay in chardi kala ..

I think that strictness is a fundamental part of Sikhi.

This isn't just any old path, it is "khanio(n) tikhee vaalo(n) nikee".

It's is very difficult and requires a lot of discipline and yes, "rules".

We always get turned off by rules, because it's someone telling us what to do. Our haumai then says "no one can tell me what to do", and problems arise.

So in terms of being "narrow" and "strict", I think both are somewhat to be expected. The path itself is very narrow and strict.

Though to be clear, a Gursikh can always sympathise with the opposite view point and understand it.

there's nothing wrong with a patka...

it's just fanatical thinking of some people who will argue against it...

i don't think patka should be worn everywhere...but if you're playing sports, or at home chilling...it's totallly fine...

and just cuz it may be "ugly" isn't an argument against it...

even the "tyaar bar tyaar" point doesn't go against wearing a patka...

well.......just wanna ask...where in bani does it refer to gursikhs with beautiful patkas????? the only words in gurbani used are dastaar, keski, and sumtimes even pagrhi.....i personally think that if u want to u can wear a small keski to bed or at home...and even if it comes off...its not our fault is it? i was told that when a sikh goes out they MUST wear 2 DASTAARS......at home 1 is ok