What Is Panj Ishnaan And How Is It Done?

Guest Curious

Yeah, more "cooked up" maryada from tapoban,

Punj Ishnana (as someone mentioned, 2 hands, 2 feet and face) is not something new.  Before going into Guru Sahib's Darbar or holding a pothi, it's something thats done.  It is refreshing and also cleansing.

What's the problem with it?

Sure do ishnan of your man but that certainly doesn't mean don't do ishnaan of your body as well.

Oh and what is "ishnaan di seva"?  I'm curious.

I also find it really funny that these people like Naranjan who go on about love everyone and the fundamentalists hate too much, just randomly bring up these hateful bitter comments out of nowhere where they have absolutely no relevance.

135421[/snapback]

Veer Singh132,

As you will have no doubt seen from my comments, I actually no where said that one should not do PUNJ ISHNAAN and my post and beliefs concur with you that it is something to do before having darshan of Maharaj or doing paath. So I have no problem with it - only the earlier poster who thought this was some adaption of Wuzu to which I have objected - it is not, it is uniquely Sikh term and whilst it shouldn't replace a full ishnaan (i.e. in the morning), it is as you say "refreshing".

Please could you tell what was so "bitter" about my comments? They are irrelevant as you will note from the below, however in comparison to those that are actively supported by many on Tapoban, Sikhawareness and here - where certain groups of people feel the need to indicate that the only valid Amrit Sachar is as that of their Group (hence an open attack on the sanctity of the Panth and Akal Thakt) that the only valid rehit is that preached by their Baba or Jathedar and that all non-sikh women are prostitutes - these are types of comments which I hope you will agree are more akin to being 'bitter' at the very least.

As for the "ishnaan di seva", please see below:

1) We should get up at amritvela.

2) We should try to clean our stomach (through excretion) before doing ishnaan.

3) We should brush our teeth (or use daatun).

4) Tie our keski to our waist, wrap Siri Sahib (kirpaan) around keski and also keep your kanga there. Open our kesh.

5) Use full cold water (no hot water at all) and wash your hair and face. In Canada, water is ice-cold in summer and winter. The feeling after taking shower in cold water is amazing. Consciousness reaches it's maximum. Abhyaas goes automatically.

6) After washing your hair, soak out water and comb your hair and beard. Wash your kanga and place in in your jooRa (hair knot). Tie your keski ( a new one, a fresh one) on your head.

7) Wash your Siri Sahib and Gaatra or use your second set of washed gaatra and Siri Sahib and tie it around your head.

8) Now do ishnaan of your body, again with pure cold water. Such is the affect of cold water (ice cold water) that automatically swaas swaas simran abhyaas starts in full force. The feeling after ishnaan with cold water is undescribible (beyond description).

9) Keep separate towels for your body and hair. Use your body wala towel and dry your body.

10) Remove your kachherra and ensure that the right leg is removed first. Keep the wet kachhera in your left leg for now.

11) Take your new (fresh) kachhera (must be white kachherra, long till knees) and place your right foot or leg in the new kachherra. Now remove your left leg from the wet kachherra and wear your left leg in the new kachherra.

12) All the time while we do ishnaan we must do either Siri Jap jee Sahib or Vaheguru Gurmantra or Mool Mantra. Otherwise Guru Sahib does not accept ishnaan dee sewa.

taken from: http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=8921&t=8921

wow..thats intresting... i have utter most faith and respect for tapoban singhs and singhania..but..aint that a bit detailed?? i get ill if i were to use ice cold water while doing ishnaan.. but i agree u shudnt use nice warm water cus then u fall asleep..lol..but ICE COLD..wooo..ther gursikhs...they shud know hey.

Good stuff Naranjana, you've discovered a write up of how to do an ishnan!! What a find. Which part of this do you or others NOT do? Which part is anomalous to a regular ishnan? Sure the cold water thing seems shocking but old rehitnamas say the same thing.

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh calls this type of ishnan "Gurmat Ishnan" and says that a Sikh, who is told to do ishnan in "amritsar" every day (in the Guru Ram Das Shabad) will get the same benefit if s/he recites naam/bani when doing their daily ishnan.

Which part of this seems wrong to you?

I really find it amusing that some people are so bitter and burnt up inside that at every opportunity they bring up something like this, but at the same time go on about acceptance and tolerance and love. The evidence of your bitterness is bringing up "tapoban" where it had absolutely no relevance.

Also, please find me where someone called non-keski women prostitutes?

I can find you quotes on your Snantani brothers calling women WITH keskis nipunsak ie. not male nor female.

Quoting the always tolerant and loving Sikhawareness forum:

If people wish to wear a dastar and adopt a 3rd gender identity I won't stop them. Guru Gobind Singh himself says in Akal Ustati that Akal Purakh created "nar nari napumsak". A girl who wears dastar adopts a napumsak identity and that's a reality that I have not decided. Those girls who do wear a dastar and still consider themselves as "nari" and not "napumsak" should maybe re-think the issue as this confuses the issue of gender distinction. 

Seems a bit off the top to me.

Veer Singh132,

As requested...

<<What is wrong with them? do they have no respect? isnt it enough disprespect to guru sahib that youve come dolled up like some hindu prostitute but now you have to sit there talking and talking in the darbar sahib?>>

[http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=14555&t=14515]

There are many of these references available on the same site, explicitly referring to non-keski or non-sikh women - I'm sure you can look for further evidence yourself.

The cold water part is nothing strange Balpreet Singh, nor is the recitation of bani (this is what any Amritdhari Sikh would undertake) - I believe that most people know that Ishnaan entails cold water, however the unnecessary codification of this into "Ishnaan di Seva" is nothing but making protocol into a ritual - I guess that me taking off the left leg out of my kachera first, makes my Ishaan "di seva" invalid or non-Gurmat? Or that my kachera may fall short of the knees makes it is anti-Gurmat Kachera, or if it is not white then I'm obviously a Sanatani? I also didn't realise that Guru Sahib keeps a tab on our "seva".

As per the quote from sikhawareness, again I do not disagree with you here, you can find plenty of posts from my questioning and objecting to plenty of 'sanatani' beliefs, on the 'all loving' sikhawareness forum and on here, however two wrongs don't make a right.

Just to be certain, perhaps I should have spelt out www.tapoban.org rather than "tapoban" as the reference was made to the phorum rather than the Gurdwara Sahib or any institution.

Again Naranjana, the quote you've provided does not generalise to all non-keski wearing women, but just those that come dressed a certain way. The quote I provided generalises to all keski wearing women.

As for the ishnan: where do you see a codification? It's a step by step description. Who's enforcing that you follow or not? The only thing that was stressed is to do naam/bani when doing the ishnan to make it "Gurmat Ishnan". The right leg first thing isn't randomly made up, Bhai Kaur Singh writes it in his books. If you don't like it, change with your left leg, what do I care?

Kacherra length is covered by old rehitnamas. What's the point of wearing a kacherra thats the same lenght as a bandar-kachhee? If a mini-kirpan and mini-kangha are not acceptable, what makes a mini-kacherra ok?

"I also didn't realise that Guru Sahib keeps a tab on our "seva"."

If there is an account of our every action, why wouldn't our seva be kept account of?

I'm not in the habit of arguing unnecessarily but the bad faith you and your buddies carry around really baffles me. You don't even debate with good faith, as seen above, using posts taken totally out of context and trying to pass them off as references to keski. If someone doesn't want to take my word for it, read the thread yourself and see how A Singh (a snatani buddy of yours?) twisted it into a keski argument when it had nothing ot do with the issue.