Basics

Guest Guest

waheguruuuu ji

i just want to ask some VERY basic questions. blush.gif ive recently started being more interested in sikhi, and everyone has to start somewhere so im really sorry if these questions are boring to answer...i just wanted to ask:

1)why do we have parshaad? what is it purpose? was it around in the gurus times? what is its origin?

2)why should we do parkarma around guru ji when we go to the gurdwara and matha tek? again what is the purpose?

3)what does it mean when you bow your head to guru ji. what are you saying when you bow your head?

4)i have been told that breaking amrit is the biggest paap, but it is possible to break amrit? like if you do something your not meant to eg eating meat etc...does that mean that you have 'broken' your amrit. what do you have to do in this kind of situation?

5)why do we take amrit? what does immortal mean in terms of amrit, like when you take amrit you become immortal. what does that mean. i know it means you'l never die but dont we believe that everyones soul lives on, even if its goin to God or being reincarnated? you still have a soul right? does amrit change HOW you get to God?

sorry if the questions are difficult to understand or if i have offended anybody. d_oh.gif

waheguruuuu ji

i just want to ask some VERY basic questions. blush.gif ive recently started being more interested in sikhi, and everyone has to start somewhere so im really sorry if these questions are boring to answer...i just wanted to ask:

1)why do we have parshaad? what is it purpose? was it around in the gurus times? what is its origin?

2)why should we do parkarma around guru ji when we go to the gurdwara and matha tek? again what is the purpose?

3)what does it mean when you bow your head to guru ji. what are you saying when you bow your head?

4)i have been told that breaking amrit is the biggest paap, but it is possible to break amrit? like if you do something your not meant to eg eating meat etc...does that mean that you have 'broken' your amrit. what do you have to do in this kind of situation?

5)why do we take amrit? what does immortal mean in terms of amrit, like when you take amrit you become immortal. what does that mean. i know it means you'l never die but dont we believe that everyones soul lives on, even if its goin to God or being reincarnated? you still have a soul right? does amrit change HOW you get to God?

sorry if the questions are difficult to understand or if i have offended anybody. d_oh.gif

135460[/snapback]

1)... answered above.. (i think.. i didn't read the link)

2)... parkarma... when u walking around Sree Guru Granth Sahib Jee, you are saying 'you are the centre of my world... and I will do anything to protect you'... which is why kirpaan is facing Guru Jee when u walk around...

3) when u do mattha.. (from what i know)... its a sign of humility.. ur bowing to guru jee saying "you are my guru, I am the dust of your feet... I am your slave.. you are my master... and my king"...

4)... yes u CAN break amrit.. it is called a 'bujjar kurehit' (cardinal sin)... and it IS a HUGE paap.. if u break ur amrit u must re-take it.. (otherwise there's no chance of u gettin mukti --> liberation)... u have to go to the panj pyaray and go for pesh (pesh being admitting ur fault to the panj pyaray and asking for forgiveness)... then they will give u a task ("punishment"... even though what they tell u is a GOOD thing... i.e. extra paath... certain type of seva) to do for a certain lengt of time and then once again drink the amrit from the bataa...

5)... hmmm.. very hard question to answer in terms of writing it... i think those of us who are amrit know the answer to that in a way.. but i's very hard to explain... and certain parts of the question can't be answered by sum1 telling you... it would probably have to be an 'enlightened soul' or the answer would have to come from Guru Jee Himself... i.e. read gurbaani... nebody else wanna give it a shot?

hope i helped... sorry for the delay in answering ur questions..

bhul chuk maaf

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

sum1 just pointed out that in my last post i had an 'error'.... i shouldn't have said 'we will protect guru jee' 'cause guru jee doesn't need protection... rather i should have said we will protect everybody else... the innocent.. anybody who enters guru jee's darbar.. anybody that is being oppressed n what not... also that we will stand up for our own rites, and stand up for what we believe in... which is also why we have shastars infront of maharaj jee's saroop...

bhul chuk maaf...

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

It means that one is willing to die for guru ji :lol: