Sikh Bana (chola); Help!

Khalsa_Girl_1

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

sangat ji, i need help in knowing about the Chola.

i have to do a presentation in front of my class about the chola and NONE of the people in my class know anything about Sikhism cuz i live in an area

all i knew was that it was worn (and is worn) during 'Gatka'. but then my parents told me that the Chola was worn by people long, long ago.

so yeah...as you all can see, im a big moorakh. tongue.gif

i have to explain the history and the significance of the Chola.

so please help me if you can.

thanx in advance.

peace...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest [TheSim]

someone made a thread but nothing got posted..

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=15491

but after doing a few google searches...

Chola

Clothing of the Gurus. Also applied to the coverings of the nishan sahib at a gurdwara.

but arent what bhindranwale wears cholas or is it kurtha pajma ?

bhindranwale_with_entourage.jpg

and i dont get one thing if no one knows about sikhi in your classroom..

and "i have to explain the history and the significance of the Chola."

why are you explaning the chola? did you choose this and if you chose it why did you choose it if you yourself dont know what it is? I think this really has no significant, how much can you possibly babble around with cholas/ your going to end up with a repetetive presentation saying the same thing again and its going to be lame and irrelevent

,Dec 6 2005, 04:28 PM]someone made a thread but nothing got posted..

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=15491

but after doing a few google searches...

Chola 

Clothing of the Gurus. Also applied to the coverings of the nishan sahib at a gurdwara. 

but arent what bhindranwale wears cholas or is it kurtha pajma ?

bhindranwale_with_entourage.jpg

and i dont get one thing if no one knows about sikhi in your classroom..

and "i have to explain the history and the significance of the Chola."

why are you explaning the chola?  did you choose this and if you chose it why did you choose it if you yourself dont know what it is?  I think this really has no significant,  how much can you possibly babble around with cholas/ your going to end up with a repetetive presentation saying the same thing again and its going to be lame and irrelevent

138541[/snapback]

lol

'i have to explain it' meaning that i had no option cuz my teacher chose people to do certain things. i said that i'll do the Khanda instead, but then shes like "no. there are already too many symbols, and i want you to do a clothing." she didnt listen to me...

whatever

and yeah....

i need help!

Gurfateh!!

Hey Khalsa girl heres a link to some real good information on different types of sikh dress hope it helps:

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/index.html

Gurfateh!!

138544[/snapback]

thanx ji

i read it

but it doesnt have what i need... sad.gif

but i really appreciate you giving me that site :lol:

Niranjana posted this a while back, I think it will be of some help.

The Kachera was/is a complete dress in its own right. The Singhs of old would not wear cholas like we see today and all this bakwaas about the length of cholas having to of a certain level above/below the Kachera is simply made up gobbledigook.

For more information, have a read of the following:

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/chola.html

The 'Chola'

(Amrit Pal Singh 'Amrit')

In essence, any shirt can be termed a 'Chola', however today this term is used almost exclusively for a type of long shirt or tunic, which was once very popular in India. Even today one can see Hindu, Sikh and Muslim ascetics and holy persons wearing a 'Chola'.

It would not be inappropriate here to step outside of our main topic on Nihangs to consider some generic items relating to the 'Chola'.

In India, many families perform a religious ceremony during which clothes are put on newborn baby. This ceremony also is called 'Chola' from which we can clearly see that originally every shirt, whether it is long or short, was regarded as 'Chola', although this word is used solely for long shirts/tunics nowadays. There are many kinds of such long shirts. We shall look at some of them below: -

Punjabi Kurta

A simple Punjabi 'Kurta' is called 'Chola' if it is long enough. There is very famous song, in which the word 'Chola' has been used for long 'Kurta': -

Mera Rang De Basantee Chola Maaye, Rang De Basantee Chola.

Bengali Kurta

The Bengali Kurta is slightly different from Punjabi Kurta. It has a different type of collar than that of Punjabi Kurta. There is also another kind of Bengali Kurta, which is made without a collar. A traditional Bengali Kurta does not have buttons on the arms, although these have now been added for purposes of convenience.

On bases of 'Kali' (a particular part of 'Kurta'), there are two kinds of Bengali Kurtas. One is without of 'Kalis' and other with them. There can be many 'Kalis', from four to hundred, even more.

The 'Chola' worn by Sikh saints is originally a Bengali Kurta with 'Kalis'.

'Nihang Chola'

When the historic Budhha Dal and Taruna Dal were fighting against the rulers and Muslim invaders, most of their members used to wear only Kachhehra and turban. They would cover their bodies with blankets. Giani Gian Singh writes in his 'Panth Prakash': -

Khat Ras Ka Wah Swaad Na Jaanai.

Kaprha Aur Na Tan Par Thhaanai.

Kamar Jaangheeya, Ik Sir Patka.

Bhoore Giltee Baana Jatka.

(They [the Singhs] do not know taste of six flavors. They do not wear any other clothes. There is underwear around their waists and a turban on their heads. They wear blankets, a Jatt dress).

A painting, in which a Nihang is seen without 'Chola'

Later, they started to wear shirts too. Foreigner painters have illustrated Nihangs in shirts, which are not as long as the cholas in which we see Nihangs today, as their underwear ('Kachhehra') is visible. Such shirts or 'Cholas' can be seen nowadays amongst a handful of the southern Sikhs in India.

A painting, in which a Nihang is seen in small 'Chola'

Modern Nihangs wear long shirts, which cover their 'Kachhehras'.

A Nihang in a long 'Chola'

It is a kind of 'Chola', which was worn predominantly by Muslim rulers in India. The Hindu Kings too under India's Muslim sultanate used to wear such 'Cholas' in Mogul courts. In some paintings, the Hindu sovereign King Chhatrapati Shivaji Maratha and his army men are shown in such attire.

Shivaji with his Hindu army men, who are in 'Cholas'

A Nihang in skyblue 'Chola'

An important facet to note about modern day Nihang Cholas is their structure. Similar to an ordinary shirt, the Chola will have buttons all along the front side as opposed to only a few as is the case with an ordinary kurta. This buttons stopped at the waist where the modern Chola has a ‘pati’ (belt) for wrapping around the ‘Kamarkasa’ (cumberband) in which Nihangs keep their weapons. The bottom section of the chola (below the ‘patti’ for the ‘Kamarkasa’) is open and flowing like a tunic. Many now also have other conventional items similar to western shirts and military wear in terms of pockets and inclusion of ‘shoulder boards’.