What makes one a "SIKH"??

Gupt_Singh

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes one a SIKH?

i don't know.. even if i do know, i won't go out and tell others that who are sikh or what are the requirement for being a sikh.. Im not perfect in anyway.. first i need to define the correct and real defination of sikhi to my soul then maybe i can explain who are Sikh !

I hate when one person say to other.. "Hey, you are mona, YOU are not sikh" ..

WE (YOU & ME) have no right to tell others who are sikhs and who are not.. Don't judge.. Rules (rehit) are set and it's rite in front of everyone, go and read it.. If he choose to disagree, then good luck, but don't go on and say "External" roop is not required etc.. If agree then Welcome to Sikhi ! Either way I will still have the same respect to that person no matter what..

Request to singhs and kaurs.. PLZ stop the judging part.. It's better for our community ! If anyone(Sikh) ask who are sikh, Just give him/her link of Universal rehit meryada and let it be on him/her to decide..

Bhull chaak Kaeyy maaf Karna

wubb.gifwubb.gif

^_^

good call...it makes sense... it's true..if someone calls themselves sikh.. show them the rehit maryada.. if they can say they follow all or AT THE VERY LEAST 85% (where the remaining 15% are things like having taken amrit or having all panj kakkaars on you at all times), then good for them....if they can't...good for them...either way, if you are or aren't acording to the rehit, i'm not going to treat you any differently..that's my personal view..

why is it that i can feel Khalsa Soulja breathing down my neck :(:@;) here comes his reply :)

i've known amritdhari sikhs who, though baptised, were judgmental and hypocritical. they'd do one thing but not another. they'd justify their kid's actions, but would lambast another's children for the same actions. to call them sikhs, simply because they are baptised, and not others, who have good hearts, follow sikhism to the best of their ability w/o being baptised, is wrong.

i don't know what makes a sikh a sikh, but i know that baptism ALONE does not.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Please read my post.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I don't think u understood her point. i think shes trying to say what i've said before in the post below in another thread....

You need a mindset to go along with the Dastaar. if simply wearing a Kirpan you can tell me that you are a Sikh. You are mistaken. Simply wearing something, he isn't ne one. A man wearing a Police uniform does not become a Policeman, until he is the policeman on the INSIDE. You can become a Policeman on the Inside first then you can wear the Policeman Uniform. To wear the Uniform First then to act like a Policaman is creating this Character who acts like a Policeman. Yes it does happen so that wearing the uniform slowlly you mind becomes to adapt what you wear on the outside...the purpose behind the uniform. Your mind begins to adapt and slolwly the mind becomes the policeman. So there are both ways to becomeing a Policeman. One is to become one on teh inside first then wearing the uniform. The other is to wear the uniform first then become a policeman on the inside. BUt the second one has much rocks on its path; for examply someone might not become a policeman on the inside, but puts on a show taht he is a policeman....his ego grows as he has ac

complised something by just wearing a uniform. How hard is taking physical amrit...its not hard at all. but Drinking the Amrit on the inside is very difficult and the purpose of the outside amrit is to ignite the desire for the Amrit on the inside.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

You must have inner and outer sikhi, we cannot judge inner sikhi, but we can tell from the outside.

BHULL CHUKK MAFF

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

veer thas exactly my point, DesiMaim said the same thing, you can't judge the inner sikhi which is just as important if not more in being a Sikh. If one person has taken Amrit wears the 5ks, does that mean he is a Sikh on the inside??? By taking Amrit he has taken this great Leap into being a Sikh of the Guru, but his inside still have to develop. So he is not yet a full Sikh either...which is no different than a non-Amritdhari except the Amritdhari has gotten a head start. Simply that.

These threads are so redundant, started by the same people, I think everyone on this board would have some idea what Sikhi asks of us, anyways.....

There aren't different flavors of Sikhs. We can't be cafeteria "Sikhs". What I mean by this is that we can't think well, lets see, I'm gonna follow this part of the rehit, but not this part, this part seems right so I'll only go with this. Either you are a Sikh or you are not. You can be on the path to Sikhism, which is fine. There aren't sehajdhari Sikhs and amritdhari Sikhs, there are just SIKHS. SIKHS are those that follow and keep rehit and follow the rules set by Dashmesh Petha Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Also, why is the example always given of Amritdharis who do bad things? Is this an excuse to not take amrit? Whenever one of these threads start there is always one person who says that they know an amritdhari person that does bad things but they know monas who are very religious. If the mona was a true Sikh on the inside he would keep Sikhi on the outside aswell.

gm_rahit_rbns.gif

Without the Code of Conduct, One can not be referred to as a 'Sikh'.

Without the Code of Conduct, One will suffer in the Lord's Court.

gm_rahit_sssb.gif

He alone is a Sikh, a friend, a relative and a sibling, who follows the Way of the Guru's Will.

One who follows according to his own will, O Siblings of Destiny, suffers displeasure of separation from the Lord.

(Sorath M3, P601)