I Couldnt Reply Back To Someone On Email So I

Guest Guest

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Sorry if this email is too long ive tried to give u all the background knowledge related to what you have asked me.

The Guru Granth Sahib Ji

There is an english translation of the words of the Gurus.

Here is a website with the translations, along with the roman script (which is for ppl who can't read the script which it is written in- Gurmukhi) so that they still can read the scriptures, of how it is ment to be read. Just click on next to read the next page. And you can listen to the Siri Guru Granth sahib, so you can read along while listeing to the holy scriptures too.

http://www.searchgurbani.com/main.php?book...ion=Page&page=1

The Sikh baptism

This is what happens in the baptism cermony: (im not baptised, im 16, i want to become baptised in the future, God willing, when i know i can take on the responsibilty and surrnder completely to God).

Baptism is necessary before joining the Khalsa Panth. Guru Gobind Singh initiated the practice with the establishment of the order of the Khalsa in 1699 due to the will of God.

The Amrit ceremony (baptism) is held in the presence of the Guru Granth Sahib. Five baptized Sikhs known for their piety are called Panj Piyaras, all wearing the five symbols - Kesh(long hair), Kanga (Comb), Kachehra (Knickers), Kara (Iron wristband), and Kirpan (Sword) sit in front of the Guru Granth Sahib. One of the five explains the principles of Sikhism to those who want to be baptized. After the candidates have signified their acceptance, one of the five offers Ardas. Then all the five sit round an iron-vessel containing fresh water an a quantity of sweets - Patasas. They recite the five Banis: the Japji, Jap, ten Swayyas, Chaupai and Anand Sahib. The reciter stirs the water with a double-edged sword, a Khanda, which he holds in his right hand. After recitation is over, the five initiators stand up, holding the vessel in their hands. Each one of them then offers prayer (one of the five Banis) for the nectar just prepared.

As each candidate receives five handfuls of Amrit (holy water) which he drinks shouting Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh. The Amrit is put five times in his eyes and five times on his hair while he repeats the above greeting. The Amrit that remains is sipped by all candidates to remove caste prejudice. The five initiators repeat the Mul Mantra five times, this is then repeated by the candidates. Then one of the five explains the vows of Sikh discipline - Rahat. The candidates are to regard themselves as sons of Guru Gobind Singh and Mata Sahib Kaur. Their home is Anandpur Sahib. They are to abstain from the four misdeeds: removing hair, eating meat, adultery and using tobacco. One of the five Panj Piyaras then offers Ardas and reads a passage from the Guru Granth Sahib. Those who adopt Sikhism for the first time receive a new name, ending in Singh for a male and Kaur for a female. All the baptized Sikhs then eat Karah Parsad from the same vessel. If a Sikh has done any of the four misdeeds - Kurahats - mentioned above, he has to be rebaptised after due confession and penance.

more info on: http://allaboutsikhs.com/way/amrit.htm

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

This is in the punjabi language.

You wont have to learn punjabi as such. However it is required atleast for you to know how to read/say the translations in the roman script (in bold):

I.e:

eikanaa naadh n baedh n geea ras ras kas n jaana(n)th ||

Some do not know the Sound-current of the Naad, spiritual wisdom or the joy of song. They do not even understand good and bad.

However it is strongly reccomended for Sikhs to learn Gurmukhi (the script in which the prophets written in)

I live in England (In UK).

Sikhs and Vegetarianism

To become a Sikh, you will have to become a vegetarian as im going to explain to you by the verses from the Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Egg, fish and sea food is also considered as meat and this is not included in the vegetarian diet.

However some Sikhs argue meat is allowed as long as it isnt halal- however i dont think that this is the case, i think they only think that because of lack of knowlege of the Siri Guru Granth Sahib, as im going to explain why any type of meat is not to be consumed.

I’ve posted this part in blue just incase you want to know the deeper knowledge of why ppl think meat is permitted because of the lack of knowledge of the quote.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVERY GURBANI QUOTE IS AGAINST EATING MEAT.

However there is only one quote that meat eaters use- to say that meat eating is allowed.

Which is:

Maas Maas Kar Moorakh Jhaghrrey.

Gian dhian Nahin Jaaney.

Kaun Maas Kaun Saag Kahaavey

Kis Mah Paap Samaaney. (pg. 1289-1290)

Translated as:

Only the fool quarrels over the question of eating or not eating of the meat. He does not have the True Wisdom. Without True Wisdom or Meditation, he harps on which is flesh and which is not flesh and which food is sinful and which is not.

The meaning of this is:

Herein, Guru Sahib is addressing a Vaishnav Pandit who believes that he can achieve his spiritual goal only by avoiding meat as food and not trying to obtain the true wisdom through meditation. He has stressed that only avoiding meat will not lead one to the achievement of Spiritual Bliss if one does not do Naam-Simran. This equally applies to all, including non-meat-eating Sikhs.

It relates to the flesh or meat in general and not to any particular type of flesh - whether prepared by Halaal or Jhatka method.

Meaning of:

ka-un maas ka-un saag kahaavai kis meh paap samaanay.

What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?

The meaning behind these two extracts is that to have continuous arguments, with people who are mistaken about the religious stance on meat, is a foolish act. These people cannot even differentiate between meat and vegetables, and whether the eating of one of these is a sinful act. There isn’t even a hint that meat is acceptable, so it amazes me how some people can find anything to support their evil acts. This verse states that by uttering the vocabulary of meat and by looking at meat, one isn’t punished, one doesn’t become a saint by constantly denouncing meat and that one doesn’t become a sinner if one doesn’t “hate” meat. It can also be concluded from these extracts that the killing of animals is an evil act and is a great sin. Since purchase and eating of vegetables through money which was earned by committing sins is also a sin like eating flesh. The distinction between “What is meat and what is green vegetables” can only be determined by those who have the Gurmat knowledge and the Gurmat spirituality to do so. To just argue over meat without these qualities is the act of a fool. But instruction to eat meat cannot be gained from these two extracts under any condition.

N the ppl who say Sikhs allowed to only eat Jatka (non-halal) meat:

If the word Kutliha were to mean Halaal meat, the use of the word abhakhya is superfluous. The sentence should have been simply Kuthha Khaanaa to mean the eating of the Halaal meat. Meat is forbidded for Sikhs, and the Gurus told us that halal meat is forbidded for us so that its clear even though 'its considered holy' or 'been accepted by God coz of the recitation of the kalima' in the eyes of the muslims. Meat is Meat.

And we dont eat halal for the same reason for not eating normal meat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article i posted above shows that the only quote from Siri Guru Granth Sahib that meat eaters use to eat meat, is actually against meat, but they havent realized because they dont have the knowledge about what the quote is actually saying, which is saying, by only avioding meat u wont gain spiritual bliss IF you havent got any spiritual wisdom. As the Vaishnav Pundit thought that he cud acheive spiritual bliss by ONLY avoiding meat.

And these quotes clearly tells us meat is forbidden:

"kabeer, bhaang maachulee suraapaan, jo jo praanee khai, teerath barat naym keeayai sabhai rasaatal jai” here Kabeer jee clearly states eating meat, fish and liqour is wrong and religion is not possible while eating these.

Je ratu lagai kaprhaia jaamaa hoi pleet. Jo ratu pevahi maansaa tin kiyu nirmal cheet: Clothes stained with blood become impure. Similarly, O man, if you consume blood (and flesh, etc.) of other beings, then how you cannot have pure consciousness! (sggs 140).

Duniyaa murdaar khurdanee gaaphal havaayi. Gaibaan haivaan haraam kustanee murdaar bakhoraayi: The world eats dead carcasses, living by neglect and greed. Like a goblin, or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat (sggs 723).

Kabeer khoob khaanaa kheecharee jaa mahi amrit lon. Heraa rotee kaarne galaa ktaavai kayun: Kabeer, the dinner of beans and rice (Khicharhee) flavored with salt is excellent. Who would cut his throat (in his next life) to have meat of a killed animal with his bread? (sggs 1374).

Jayu sabh mahi ek Khudaai kahat hau tau kiyon murgee maarai. Mullaan kahahu niaau Khudaaee. Tere mann kaa bharam na jaaee: You say that the One Lord is in all, so why do you kill chickens? O Mullah, tell me: is this God’s Justice? The doubts of your mind have not been dispelled (sggs 1350).

So in conclusion all type of meat is forbidden.

Hair and Sikhism

Removing hair from anywhere on the body is forbidden.

Why do Sikhs keep hair?

A: This question is asked a lot “Why do you keep hair?” Hair is a gift from God, therefore why should anyone throw it away by cutting it? Sikhs live the way God made humans and never cut their hair. For Sikhs hair is the symbol of love for God and the respect for everything He has given us. The way God made us is the most beautiful of all. To Christians, even the Bible says, “God loves us and cares so much about us that even all the hairs of our head has well counted” (Matt.10:30).

Hair is one of the five symbols of Sikh faith. One of the reason to keep hair is to preserve the Sikh identity. Sikhs are only 2% of India’s population, if Sikhs do not keep hair, they would be lost in the crowd of Hindus and Muslims.

One argument heard often is that if you do not cut your hair, it keeps growing and will eventually reach the ground. Sikhs never cut their hair and it does not touch the ground, their eyebrows grow to a specific length, their moustaches grow to a specific length, and their beard stops at a specific length. Our body has a natural way of shedding and regenerating hair, thus after a period of time hair seems to stay at a consistent length.

Millions of Sikhs do not cut their hair and their hair grows to a specific length depending on their individual characteristics. Even if you still believe that hair do not stop growing and will eventually reach the ground, you should first consider whether to believe the one who has never seen hair growing or the millions of people who have never cut their hair? The answer is obvious.

Another important point is that Sikhs are not to use razors or any other such devices on their bodies, from the time of birth, for they do not cut their hair from any part of their bodies. In order to keep hair neat and clean Sikhs roll the hair on the top of their head. The hair is then covered by different types of turbans.

From the scientific view, keeping hair is practical because hair has many functions. It traps an insulating layer of still air just outside the skin, and thereby reduces loss of heat by radiation, hair absorbs harmful radiations from the sun, hair follicles can make androgenic hormones and Axillary hair provides larger surface area for evaporation of sweat. Although Sikhs do not need scientific explanations to keep hair, it is important to note that scientific explanations do indeed exist.

Gurdwaras

Most Gurdwaras speak Punjabi however loads of Gurdwaras will also talk in English for the American born Sikhs, as the local Gurdwara that I attend speaks in English too but mainly punjabi. However there is a white Sikh, who sits in the prayer hall, not sure but I don’t think he knows Punjabi.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Mod Comment : If the person you are trying to communicate with visits the forum, then please use the pm feature next time if it contains topics that may spark of neverending debates.