Why Are These Sikhs Wearing Tiliks?

AussieSikh

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tilak: the mark (usually vertical) placed on the forehead of a devotee during ritual worship

respect: Respect is the objective, unbiased consideration and regard for the rights, values, beliefs and property of all people.

Do you consider Guru Granth sahib as your Guru or just some book that you throw a dollar towards every sunday afternoon? The first step on the path of sikhi when, we call ourselves sikhs, is to accept SGGS as our Guru as our master. After this the next step is to give our head to guru sahib and take amrit.

When you are listening to God's divine baani, Gurbaani, Dhur ki baani, you hear shabads such as:

dhur ki baani ayee tin saglee chint mitayee

nirmal naam adhaar mera(the immaculately pure naam is my support)

You pray to akaal purakh the one and only formless lord god who is ever-present. You denounce blind rituals and idol worship in gurbaani everyday and sing the glorious praises of akaal purakh nirankaar alakh apaar paarbrahm waaheguru. God is samrath or all powerful and everything is in God's hukam or command. Hukmai ander sabh ki bahar hukam na koye. We say tera kiya meetha lagai har naam padarath nanak mangai. Now after all this we go out and do what?

do you have faith in gurbaani? Do you believe that waaheguru's naam is our savior?

There are so many sikhs who wear turbans and even take marit and sit in devi pooja and do akhand paath at their house but when they go to india make sure they go to vaishno devi....why the pakhand? what is the point of calling oursleves sikh when we don't even believe in teh words of baani? Is recitintg baani just a ritual, oh i did 2 hours of paath now let me do what i gotta do....

what happened to sharda or faith as a sikh in gurmat? as a sikh do you honestly think a tilak will give you good luck? Suraj singh brought up that baba Budha ji put a tilak on the guru sahibs when gurgaddi was passed, now are you suggesting they were getting good luck from a tilak? Our satgurus were one with God and accepted god's hukam by sitting on a tati tawi, by being beheaded in chandni chowk so what good luck did they need for them God's will is sweet no matter what. Even if they had a tilak put on them that must have been a way to pass gurgaddi to the next guru are we talking baout gurgaddi here, NO. A sikh does not believe in good and bad luck for a sikh God's bhaana is sweet no matter what.

respect means to let people be, to let people practice their faith. Sikhs do not believe in jor and jabar or force and intimidation...we let people be...if a hindu says thsi tilak represents good luck as a sikh why can't you be true to your guru's baani and say for me it is good luck to have this human life to worship waheguru: dulab deh payee wadbhaagee naam na japhe te aatam ghaatee. Why do we as sikhs always do this? why do sikhs wear those stupid rings with a stone on their fingers for good luck? is gurbaani not powerful enough?

why didn't the shote sahibzaade in the court of wazir khan respect the quran and bow to it rather than put their feet first towards it?

How many of you have respected your muslim friends by being circumcised? We need to learn to respect our sikhi first. Don't try to be clever all the time. If your asikh have firm faith in guru granth and guru panth. We as sikhs don't need any tilaks, rings, strings, stones for good luck. as sikhs we feel lucky to have darshan of SGGs ji. As sikhs we respect others by letting people freely practice their faith we don't sacrifice our beliefs in gurbaani.

yeah this may not be a big deal to many of you. many people come to gurdwara, sikhs, hindus, christians, and muslims and after they throw a dollar and bow to guru sahib eat some langar then what? the hindus do their moorti puja, muslims stone the devil on the last day of hajj christians worship god's only begotten son, what about us as sikhs? do we carry that sharda from gurdwara back with us? do we still think about our guru after we leave gurdwara?

peace.

Keep it simple brother and do not go around in circle.

what happened to sharda or faith as a sikh in gurmat? as a sikh do you honestly think a tilak will give you good luck?

There is noone on this thread who has stated that by putting Tilak on their forehead one gets the good luck? Where did you get this from? Let's not start putting each other down by bringing subjective anwsers.

Keep it simple brother and answer the following questions, if you have desire to educate us.

1. Why Tilak was used for the appointment of Sikh Gurus?

2. If having Tilak makes Sikhs a non Sikh who are being shown in the picture then what is your explanation to ceremony, in which Baba Budha Ji, first Granthi of Sikhism and great personality appointing Sikh Gurus by putting "Tilak" on their forehead.

Let me be blunt in this post now. I hope Vaheguru forgives me.

Let me post what the real history of having "Tilak" in Hindu circle.

http://www.hinduism.co.za/tilak.htm

Now let's come to Sikh world.

How do you describe Baba Budha Ji, putting Tilak on Sikh Gurus forehead? Why did he use this on Gurgaddi? Let's hear Sikh description of putting Tilak on forehead?

Guest militant singh

THESE ''''''SIKHS'''''' SHOULD BE EXCOMMUNITCATED AND DEN EITHER SHOT OR GET BANGED UP KHALISTAN ZINDABADH DEATH2 TRAITORS AND INDIA FREEDOM 4 PANJAB NEVA 4GET 1984

Gurmukho

1. Why Tilak was used for the appointment of Sikh Gurus?

2. If having Tilak makes Sikhs a non Sikh who are being shown in the picture then what is your explanation to ceremony, in which Baba Budha Ji, first Granthi of Sikhism and great personality appointing Sikh Gurus by putting "Tilak" on their forehead.

NO GURU SAHIBAAN PUT A TILAK (i.e. A RED FRONTAL MARK ON THEIR FOREHEAD!)

To understand Gurbani, to understand Bhai Gurdaas Jee and to understand Sikh culture, one has to ALSO understand tools of poetry and language, i.e. metaphors, similies, grammar etc... furthermore one has to understand Indian culture and cultural phrases.

When Queen Elizabeth II was crowned Queen of England in 1953, the Indian Newspapers gave the news stated, "Queen Elizabeth de Raaj "Tilak" Lagaaieaa Gaya Hai." Ask people who are old enough and remember reading about the Queen's Coronation in India.

Now, did QUEEN ELIZABETH put a TILAK on her FOREHEAD??? "HAS TO BE BECAUSE IT SAID SO IN THE NEWSPAPER."

Nehee, GUru Piyaari'o! Its a language phrase, which means "being coronated" "being giving the seat of authority".

Wait til Charles or William becomes King, what will the Panjabi newspapers say? "Charles te Raj Tilak Lagaaeiaa gayiaa" -- again doesn't mean that Charles is sitting there with a huge big Red spot on his forehead... its AN EXPRESSION!!

WHY ARE WE IN dubdw, DOUBT, OVER THINGS LIKE THIS??? HAVE WE EVEN BOTHERED TO ASK OUR HAAZAR NAAZAR GURU SAHIB (Eternal Guru) WHAT HIS STAND ON THE TILAK IS????

mwQy iqlku hiQ mwlw bwnW ]

logn rwmu iKlaunw jwnW ]1]

Translation:- "People apply "tilaks" (ceremonial marks to their foreheads), in their hands they hold "malas" (prayer beads), and they present themselves in a religious appearance (thinking that they have become Waheguru's Bhagats). People have understood Waheguru to be a play-thing (meaning, an innocent child who can be fooled by these superficial things). ||1||

(Bhairo Bhagat Kabeer Jee, Ang 1158)

iqlku illwit jwxY pRBu eyku ]

Translation: "Let the knowledge of the One God be the "Tilak", ceremonial mark, on your forehead.

(Aasa M:1, Ang 355)

pUjw vrq iqlk iesnwnw puMn dwn bhu dYn ]

khUM n BIjY sMjm suAwmI bolih mITy bYn ]1]

Translation:- "Worship, fasting, "Tilaks" (ceremonial marks) on one's forehead, cleansing baths, generous donations to charities and self-mortification - the Lord Master is not pleased with any of these rituals, no matter how sweetly one may speak. ||1||

(Dhanaasree M:5, Ang 674)

iknhI GUGr inriq krweI ]

iknhU vrq nym mwlw pweI ]

iknhI iqlku gopI cMdn lwieAw ]

moih dIn hir hir hir iDAwieAw ]5]

Translation:- "Some dance, wearing ankle bells. Some fast and take vows, and wear malas. Some apply ceremonial tilak marks to their foreheads. I am meek; I meditate on the Lord, Har, Har, Har. ||5||"

(Raamkalee M:5, Ang 912)

Therefore, using knowledge of GURBANI, LANGUAGE TOOLS, and knowledge of INDIAN CULTURE... one can deduce that the Guru Sahibs were NOT adorned with TILAKs when recieving GURUSHIP.

Baba Sundar jee writes in Gurbani:

rwmdws soFI iqlku dIAw gur sbdu scu nIswxu jIau ]5]

Translation:- The Guru then blessed the Sodhi Ram Das with the ceremonial tilak mark, the insignia of the True Word of the Shabad. ||5||

The Tilak of the Shabad was passed on giving Guruship to the next Saroop of Guru Sahib, not a RED DOT PAINTED ACROSS THE FOREHEAD.

Let's read Gurbani

Let's contemplate Gurbani

Let's unite as ONE under Gurbani

Bhul chuk maaf

Let's not go in twist-ism. let's not discard our own history just because it doesn't suit us.

I still stand on my two questions, you can read them above.

Guru Nanak then blessed Lehna with his ang (hand) and gave him a new name, Angad, saying "you are a part of my body". Guru Nanak placed five coins and a coconut in front of Guru Angad and then bowed before him. He then had Bahi Budhha anoint Angad with a saffron mark on his forehead

Let's not go in twist-ism.  let's not discard our own history just because it doesn't suit us.

I still stand on my two questions, you can read them above.

Guru Nanak then blessed Lehna with his ang (hand) and gave him a new name, Angad, saying "you are a part of my body". Guru Nanak placed five coins and a coconut in front of Guru Angad and then bowed before him. He then had Bahi Budhha anoint Angad with a saffron mark on his forehead

146676[/snapback]

you got a source for this?