Singhs At Clubs And Bars

Guest MS

Our religion is about strength and not weakness

A Sikh with a turban on can and should go where ever he pleases as his religious beliefs and stregth will keep him from external influences

It's like saying if u get on a buss and a piss head comes and sits beside u talking nonsense offering u a drink... Wat u supposed to do get off the buss because ur exposed to booze?

Or u go to ur uncles house for dinner and he offers you some juice but in a glass he had previously used 2 weeks ago for a jd on the rocks

Whatvdies that mean the glass u drank from has made u impure cos u drank from it?

This is ridiculous we live in ENGLAND!!! Life is full of negativity here

That is what makes the truest singh

One who can be around such an environment but keep his beliefs and behaviour in tact

To say he shouldn't go there is absurd. It's like they are children with no minds of their own that they'll just give in to temptation if they go

They are people not kids

Our religion is about strength and not weakness

A Sikh with a turban on can and should go where ever he pleases as his religious beliefs and stregth will keep him from external influences

It's like saying if u get on a buss and a piss head comes and sits beside u talking nonsense offering u a drink... Wat u supposed to do get off the buss because ur exposed to booze?

Or u go to ur uncles house for dinner and he offers you some juice but in a glass he had previously used 2 weeks ago for a jd on the rocks

Whatvdies that mean the glass u drank from has made u impure cos u drank from it?

This is ridiculous we live in ENGLAND!!! Life is full of negativity here

That is what makes the truest singh

One who can be around such an environment but keep his beliefs and behaviour in tact

To say he shouldn't go there is absurd. It's like they are children with no minds of their own that they'll just give in to temptation if they go

They are people not kids

What business do you have at bars and clubs? What is your purpose for going to these places?

What if your the ONLY Sikh in a small town. Your with a bunch of friends and the only place to hang out is the bar? Do you expect a Sikh to sit at home and do nothing? There are a lot of questions here but if a Sikh is strong and does not let the harms of negativity get in the way...is anything wrong with that?

Bringing a bottle of water from your home. Laugh, have some fun. Isn't life about balancing life and Sikhi? If what I say is wrong, then what should a person do in such a situation?

If what I say is wrong, then what should a person do in such a situation?

Stay at home and read a book. But before leaving his / her friends, the Sikh should curse them all, and tell them they'll be going to hell.

(The above may not be my true opinion on this matter :D).

Totally seriously, I think a genuine Sikh would not feel like he / she belonged in a pub, club or bar. Whilst I don't advocate shutting oneself off from the world like a monk, there are certain places a Gursikh really should not be frequenting. I'm sure if he / she explained to their friends with a smile and some humour, they would understand.

ਦੇਵਗੰਧਾਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ||

dhaevaga(n)dhhaaree mehalaa 5 ||

Dayv-Gandhaaree, Fifth Mehla:

ਉਲਟੀ ਰੇ ਮਨ ਉਲਟੀ ਰੇ ||

oulattee rae man oulattee rae ||

Turn away, O my mind, turn away.

ਸਾਕਤ ਸਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਉਲਟੀ ਰੇ ||

saakath sio kar oulattee rae ||

Turn away from the faithless cynic.

ਝੂਠੈ ਕੀ ਰੇ ਝੂਠੁ ਪਰੀਤਿ ਛੁਟਕੀ ਰੇ ਮਨ ਛੁਟਕੀ ਰੇ ਸਾਕਤ ਸੰਗਿ ਨ ਛੁਟਕੀ ਰੇ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ ||

jhoot(h)ai kee rae jhoot(h) pareeth shhuttakee rae man shhuttakee rae saakath sa(n)g n shhuttakee rae ||1|| rehaao ||

False is the love of the false one; break the ties, O my mind, and your ties shall be broken. Break your ties with the faithless cynic. ||1||Pause||

ਜਿਉ ਕਾਜਰ ਭਰਿ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਰਾਖਿਓ ਜੋ ਪੈਸੈ ਕਾਲੂਖੀ ਰੇ ||

jio kaajar bhar ma(n)dhar raakhiou jo paisai kaalookhee rae ||

One who enters a house filled with soot is blackened.

ਦੂਰਹੁ ਹੀ ਤੇ ਭਾਗਿ ਗਇਓ ਹੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਛੁਟਕੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਕੁਟੀ ਰੇ ||੧||

dhoorahu hee thae bhaag gaeiou hai jis gur mil shhuttakee thrikuttee rae ||1||

Run far away from such people! One who meets the Guru escapes from the bondage of the three dispositions. ||1||

ਮਾਗਉ ਦਾਨੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਮੇਰਾ ਮੁਖੁ ਸਾਕਤ ਸੰਗਿ ਨ ਜੁਟਸੀ ਰੇ ||

maago dhaan kirapaal kirapaa nidhh maeraa mukh saakath sa(n)g n juttasee rae ||

I beg this blessing of You, O Merciful Lord, ocean of mercy - please, don't bring me face to face with the faithless cyincs.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਦਾਸ ਕੋ ਕਰੀਅਹੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਮੂੰਡੁ ਸਾਧ ਪਗਾ ਹੇਠਿ ਰੁਲਸੀ ਰੇ ||੨||੪||੩੭||

jan naanak dhaas dhaas ko kareeahu maeraa moo(n)dd saadhh pagaa haet(h) rulasee rae ||2||4||37||

Make servant Nanak the slave of Your slave; let his head roll in the dust under the feet of the Holy. ||2||4||37||

futehji,

I must admit sometimes i do go to the weddings and parties, as a driver. usually end up at the back of the hall staring into the ceiling,or thing about the Gurus. I remember one time where there was a hall not far from a Gurdwara and i went in till my family came out of the party hall and called me.

I guess Guruji tests us in all sorts of ways, and just sometimes you will be tested. Have faith in your Amrit and always remember we are the sons and daughters of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. I know it mammat where i need to go but then if i dont somebody in my family may end up drink driving then if something was to happen ..... then what? In my opinion you need a balance of spiritual and temporal awareness ... just my opinion i maybe wrong...

wgjkwgjkf

Going to restaurants and wedding parties are different all together... these places whilst not Gurmukh are family environments. It is perfectly normal to see families in a restaurant. And you would not feel ashamed to be seen in a restaurant. There may be meat and alcohol. But a True Sikh, is not likely to disgrace themselves in these environments.

Pubs, bars and clubs however are made for the consumption of alcohol (which Sikhs do not consume).

Pubs, bars and clubs are full of scantily dressed women, and men trying their luck (kaam).

Pubs, bars and clubs are nothing but pickup joints.

Pubs, bars and clubs are not an environment where your likely to ask your Mum, Dad or Sister to attend (unlike a restaurant or wedding party). If it's not got enough for your sister, or your family. You shouldnt be there.

More importantly - if you have to ask if it's ok - You already know the answer. No it's not.

The mortal beats the drum for a few days, and then he must depart. With so much wealth and cash and buried treasure, still he cannot take anything with him. || 1 || Pause|| Sitting on the threshold, his wife weeps and wails; his mother accompanies him to the outer gate. All the people and relatives together go to the crematorium, but the swan-soul must go home all alone. ||1|| Those children, that wealth, that city and town - he shall not come to see them again. Says Kabeer, why do you not meditate on the Lord? Your life is uselessly slipping away! ||2||6||

Guru Tegh Bahaadur Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 220 Gauree, Ninth Mehla: O mind, why have you gone crazy? Dont you know that your life is decreasing, day and night? Your life is made worthless with greed. ||1|| Pause|| That body which you believe to be your own, and your beautiful home and spouse - none of these is yours to keep. See this, reflect upon it and understand. ||1|| You have wasted the precious jewel of this human life you do not the way of the Lord of the Universe. You have not been absorbed in the Lord'd Feet, even for an instant. Your life has passed away in vain ||2|| Says nanak, that man is happy who sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord's Name. All the rest of the world is enticed by Maya; they do not obtain the state of fearless dignity. ||3||8||

Instead of wasting time discussing whether manmat activities can be justified, in any way shape or form - go spend time with the Sadh Sangat, attend Kirtan and Simran programmes at your local Gurudwara.

What if your the ONLY Sikh in a small town. Your with a bunch of friends and the only place to hang out is the bar? Do you expect a Sikh to sit at home and do nothing? There are a lot of questions here but if a Sikh is strong and does not let the harms of negativity get in the way...is anything wrong with that?

Bringing a bottle of water from your home. Laugh, have some fun. Isn't life about balancing life and Sikhi? If what I say is wrong, then what should a person do in such a situation?

There is never enough Bani read in a day. And if a person feels that they have read enough Bani then they don't understand what Gurbani is or what Sikhi is. A Sikh does not like hanging out with those that like the bar and club scene. You sit at home and do simran, go to the Gurdwara and do seva. There is always seva to be done. Go out in the community and do some voluntary work. Or bring your 'friends' to your house. The bar scene can be avoided, unless your friends like going to indulge in manmat acts.

Only Gurmukhs are strong, everyone else is weak and easily fall into duality. Here let me provide you with an example.

You say we should balance life and Sikhi? But Gurbani says, give me your head, when you step on to the path of Sikhi. When you give your head that means, your life IS Sikhi. Sikhi is in the middle and your life revolves around it by doing everything according to Sikhi. In other relgions they teach life and relgion is separate, but not in Sikhi.

Going to restaurants and wedding parties are different all together... these places whilst not Gurmukh are family environments. It is perfectly normal to see families in a restaurant. And you would not feel ashamed to be seen in a restaurant. There may be meat and alcohol. But a True Sikh, is not likely to disgrace themselves in these environments.

Pubs, bars and clubs however are made for the consumption of alcohol (which Sikhs do not consume).

Same with wedding receptions. Instead the meat is free flowing and same with the alcohol.

Pubs, bars and clubs are full of scantily dressed women, and men trying their luck (kaam).

Women are dressed in scantily punjabi suits, not to the extent of clubs, but its there. Men and women try there luck as well at wedding parties.

Pubs, bars and clubs are nothing but pickup joints.

Receptions to a degree are the same. You have lustful lyrics pounding through the speaker systems, with open alcohol flowing and who knows what other drugs people are taking while they are at the wedding parties.

Pubs, bars and clubs are not an environment where your likely to ask your Mum, Dad or Sister to attend (unlike a restaurant or wedding party). If it's not got enough for your sister, or your family. You shouldnt be there.

There is nothing about family at wedding parties. Gursikhs don't have them for their daughters or sons wedding. So why go where manmat acts are endorsed as culture.

like sandlewood, we adapt to the "smell" around us. A bit like the saying "u r what u eat." If you go to places where such negativity exists... you too will become negative. Maybe not consciously but subconsciouly, it will have an effect.

A Singh should not go to pubs n clubs and defo not be seen at one. Think about it - u wear the crown, ure turban, that shaheeds have given their LIVES for you to wear and you go disrespect it by going to places where people are using intoxicants?

Gurbani doesnt say go to pubs n clubs - Gurbani says indulge in the sangat of those who repeat His name and will help you purify your mind and soull... not go sit with moorakhs who take intoxicants, smoke cigarettes and the rest.

Now, heres a twist. There is a reason you MAY go to pubs n clubs... n that is when u r strong willed enough to do parchaar in such places and bring people out of there without letting it effect. Although a rarity it may be for someone to be so strong not to let the negativity effect them, it is possible. Anything is possible.

But end of the day - pubs.. clubs... just stay away.

I'll just give my opinion before I begin. Clubs/pubs are the same. They are both full of people who smoke and drink, which has a bad effect on your spiritual state of mind, AND your health.

Unless a pub/club is absolutely unavoidable, and i mean some extreme case then NO. Im not sure why you would want to do parchaar in a club? I dont really understand why theres suddenly a trend for young singhs/singhnia to do "parchaar" in clubs. In MOST (not all) cases,its just an excuse to go to one. I doubt the people in the clubs are that "sikhi-inclined". It would probably do you more harm, than good to them.

Also, I agree with the above points. The roop of Guru Gobind Singh Jee should not be seen in such a filthy environment.