Difference Between Sikhism And Hinduism/islam

Guest Guest

What are some of the differences between Sikhism and Hinduism/Islam. What is found in Sikhism that is not found in the other two religions? I have come up with:

Shabad Guru

Naam

Khande Di Pahul

Hair as a spritual tool

What else is there?

difference from hinduism:

-no idol worship

-god is never born and never dies(incarnations of vishnu etc in hinduism)

-God has no form, is nirankaar(formless)

-no caste

-women are equal to men(no sati, women jumping on funeral pyre after husband;s death)

-ritual baths in rivers and pilgrimages are blind rituals which do not cleanse the soul

-no priesthood(pundits, etc), all sikhs are "priests" including women

-don't believe in holiness of cows or other scared animals

-hindu mythology such as the earth is supported up by a giant bull etc

-no fasting(karva chauth) instead of fasting sikhs feed other people(langar, free community kitchen).

difference from Islam:

-God is in all human beings, even the kafirs or the "infidels"

-God is everywhere, not only in heaven

-No shrine is more sacred than another(Mecca), all places where God's praises are sung are sacred

-Man can be liberated while alive(jeevan mukhat) rather than liberation at death or judgement day

-everyday is 'judgemnet day' for sikhs

-women do not need to veil themselves

-all religions are God's creation

-no need to fast or do pilgrimages, true fast is surrendering to God's will(instead of fasting sikhs feed other people(langar, free community kitchen). and true pilgrimage is living a truthful life

-muslims keep an uncut beard but sikhs don't cut any hair(no hypocrsiy)

-no clergy, imams, etc all sikhs can lead a prayer including women

-sikhs believe in reincarnation

-sikhs do not belive in a "devil" or "satan" which opposes God, because in sikhi all creation is in God's command, nothing is out of God's command

-sikhs don't belive in circumcision cause God's creation is perfect and if God wanted men not to have foreskin then he would have made men that way.

-also if circumcision makes one a muslim, then what about women?(bhagat kabir ji, SSGs ji)

-don't revere tombs of pirs and fakeers

that's enough for now...

peace.

Well i wouldnt be the best persone to ask since im only 14 years old and in school, but from all my research i know that you are so lucky to be born as a sikh and to follow the teachings of sikhism. I shouldnt be sayin negetive stuff about any religion but they are so stupid. In sikhism there are no empty rituals like in hinduism. For example when Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to the holy city of hindus i for get the name where ganga river flows he saw men throwhing water in the direction of the river so it would reach there dead family members in heaven. seeing the stupidity of those idiots he started throwing water in the opposite direction towards punjab. Then one hindu came up to him and asked him sir why are u throwing water in the opposite direction when the water is flowing this way. so Guru Nanak Dev Ji replied by saying that i am throwing this water towards my feilds in punjab. If this water can reach heaven then why wont it reach my feilds in punjab since it is much closer than heaven. LOL.gif

Main point sikhism doesnt ask for any sloughter of animals for sacrifices unlike the hindus and islamics. You really think god well be happy on the day of Ide when millions of goats are sloughtered i dont think so.

Well i wouldnt be the best persone to ask since im only 14 years old and in school, but from all my research i know that you are so lucky to be born as a sikh and to follow the teachings of sikhism. I shouldnt be sayin negetive stuff about any religion but they are so stupid. In sikhism there are no empty rituals like in hinduism. For example when Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to the holy city of hindus i for get the name where ganga river flows he saw men throwhing water in the direction of the river so it would reach there dead family members in heaven. seeing the stupidity of those idiots he started throwing water in the opposite direction towards punjab. Then one hindu came up to him and asked him sir why are u throwing water in the opposite direction when the water is flowing this way. so Guru Nanak Dev Ji replied by saying that i am throwing this water towards my feilds in punjab. If this water can reach heaven then why wont it reach my feilds in punjab since it is much closer than heaven. LOL.gif

Main point sikhism doesnt ask for any sloughter of animals for sacrifices unlike the hindus and islamics. You really think god well be happy on the day of Ide when millions of goats are sloughtered i dont think so.

• 3 years later...

Hi mann_kaum_layee_qurbaan

I dont take your differences on Islam to Sikhism

Because its too Generalised and Totally disregards the real tennants of Islam

Let me take it Point By Point:

You Said:

1."-God is in all human beings, even the kafirs or the "infidels" "

What do you mean by that ?? God is Omnipresent , it means he encompasses all things , he encompasses every thing created which includes hindus ,muslims

,cristians ,frogs, rock , stars , black holes, bacteria, protons,, whatever you can think off , not to mention kafirs or infedels.

What you are trying to say i cant understand ..

2. "-God is everywhere, not only in heaven"

Yes God is Every where , when does Islam say he is only in heaven ??

3. "-No shrine is more sacred than another(Mecca), all places where God's praises are sung are sacred"

Yes i agree to it thats true, but every place has a certain significance, in Islam Kaaba at Mecca is The Kibla, or the center point of spirituality, just

like the Magnetic Poles it gives the believers a rally point to unify and a sence of unity in diversity, its got a very significant position for spiritual

appitite , only people with a certain vision can see that, this was why Guru Nanak went to Mecca walking all the way with great difficulty and back , just to

experience that spritual bliss.

I can also put it in another why do you people go to Golden Temple in Amritsar, why do so many sikhs go there and do all the rituals , it can be done in the

local gurudwara behind your house why take so much pains to go to Amritsar, why do so many sikhs have reverence for it, dont you see the same significance in

your own religion , and you allege the same to Islam??

4."-Man can be liberated while alive(jeevan mukhat) rather than liberation at death or judgement day"

Yes thats true , when does Islam deny That ?? . The Holy Prophet Said " Die before you Die "

What does that mean?? , It means the same you are potraying Islam Not to Be, well well you have to study Islam More , i would Suggest Read the Works of Rumi,

Ghazali and Ibn Arabi , your answers will be answered.

Please dont make up your own allegations and Potray Islam which it is not.

5. "-everyday is 'judgemnet day' for sikhs"

Yes that could be True for you people, when does Islam Deny that?

But ther can be only one unique day when the physical earth will be destroyed , and that day will be the last day, evin the Scientists Astronomers and

Astrophysists dont deny that day, we refer that day to be jujment Day , for you people if that day is every day i just cant underatand...

Any way every person has a right to his views.

6."-women do not need to veil themselves"

Correct my friend , very correct on that , they do not evin need to put on any cloths at all, as the nudists are campaining in the west, why do they need to

cover their bodies too, wouldent it be more fun then??

My friend the whole concept of the Purda comes from a verse from the Quran in which God Commands both Believing Men and Women to lower their Gazes and to

abstain from vileness , it applies to both men and women, its more of the Purda that you put in your Intensions and thoughts, the physical purda is more of a

social , psycological , and cultural intepretations of the same verse, it varies from country to country and culture to culture , please do more research on

this topic before commenting on the same.

7."-all religions are God's creation"

Yes thats true when does Islam Oppose to that..

All relegions are from God but Subject To Man's Intepretations and inteference and manipulation to meet this own sweet motives.

Other wise there would have been no differences between religious principles.

8." -no need to fast or do pilgrimages, true fast is surrendering to God's will(instead of fasting sikhs feed other people(langar, free community kitchen).

and true pilgrimage is living a truthful life "

Thats your way if Interpreting Thing , The corelation brtween Fasting and Spiratuality , fasting is the means to control our "Nafs" our uncontrolled self,

its the control of the animate spirit which becomes a hinderence to our spiritual persutes , its a practice not only in islam but See how Lord Buddha used

Fasting to control the animal within us and he attained Salvation. In ramadan Muslims not only abstain from any food or drink but also abstain from sex ,

vile talk, falsehood and lies , Anger etc all this if done , breaks the fast all these are elements of of the Animal self if we cannot control it , we can

not reach moksh in this life.

Let me quote your own Grant:

SGGS Page 1139

Hom jag jap ?ap sab? sanjam ?at ?irath nahi pa­i­a. Miti­a ap pa­e sar?a­i gurmuk? Nanak jaga? ?ara­i­a. ?4?1?14?

Through burnt offerings, charitable feasts, ritualistic chants, penance, all sorts of austere self-discipline and pilgrimages to sacred shrines and rivers,

they do not find God.

Self-conceit is only erased when one seeks the Lord's Sanctuary and becomes Gurmukh; O Nanak, he crosses over the world-ocean. ?4?1?14?

Very true , its just a part of it , plus if you do it for show without making a "neyat" that its been done for spiritual control , all is in vain. You people

have very little understanding of your own books , the actual message is that if all this things are done without the proper intention and purpose all is in

vain,

One more Question in the above verses its said you cannot find God from Charitable Feasts and Retualistic Chants and pllgrimages to sacred shrines, Then why

you people have opened the Langar , Isint that a Charitable feast , In the gurudwara whole day long you chant the verses from the grant sahib and sing the

Gurbani swinging the flywisk over the grant sahib, isint that retualistic chants and asture self dicipline,Else explain me why did Guru Nanak go to Mecca, he

didnt go there for tourism purpose but rather it was a pilgrimage.

Why do you people every year want to go to Nankana Sahib asking the Pakistani Govt for Pilgrimage visas , Why visit the Amritsar Golden temple and make a dip

in its pond, when your book says by visiting such places and dipping in ponts etc you cannot find God..

My friend you have to be careful what you state.

9." -muslims keep an uncut beard but sikhs don't cut any hair(no hypocrsiy)"

What will happen if you keep Beared or no beared if You Keep hair or no hair, You cannot Get Near to or Get God By Keeping or Cutting hair, what is the

logic.

One thing is sure Salvation cannot be attained for Keeping or Cutting Hair.

10."-no clergy, imams, etc all sikhs can lead a prayer including women"

Yes in Islam too anyone can lead the prayers there is no hard and fast rule for it, only condition is that the persion should be a righteous person and

should know how to lead the prayers, As far as women are concerned the can be part of the nimaz , no restections are there as far as islam is concerned. See

in Kaaba Mecca focal point of Islam a large contingenment are always women but they read the nimaz along with other women , no restrections are there ,,

My friend you must be having an Imaginary concept of islam.

11."-sikhs believe in reincarnation"

Then Believe in It , no hard feelings for that , But Islamic principles does not agree to it.

Explaining this would not serve the purpose of this Forum..

12."-sikhs do not belive in a "devil" or "satan" which opposes God, because in sikhi all creation is in God's command, nothing is out of God's command"

Then Dont Believe in the Devil or Saitan, But explain all the evil in this world, all the Rape , Murder, Wars , Cruelity . Do all these things happen by Gods

Command ??, who is responsible for all the wrong in this world is it God ??, You really sound Absurd..

13."-sikhs don't belive in circumcision cause God's creation is perfect and if God wanted men not to have foreskin then he would have made men that way."

If you dont Believe in Circumcision then Dont Believe But it is a Contunaiation of the Abrahamic Faith in Islam, it is a covenant between God and Abharam .

You can read this in the Old Testament of the Bible also:

Genesis 17:1-14

[1] When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, "I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless. [2] I will confirm my

covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers." [3] Abram fell facedown, and God said to him, [4] "As for me, this is my covenant with

you: You will be the father of many nations. [5] No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations.

[6] I will make you very fruitful; I will make nations of you, and kings will come from you. [7] I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant

between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. [8] The whole land

of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God." [9] Then God

said to Abraham, "As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. [10] This is my covenant with you

and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. [11] You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be

the sign of the covenant between me and you. [12] For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those

born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner--those who are not your offspring. [13] Whether born in your household or bought with your

money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. [14] Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the

flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."

14."-also if circumcision makes one a muslim, then what about women?(bhagat kabir ji, SSGs ji)"

Who told you that circumcision alone makes someone muslim, its the practice of the faith in totality that make someone muslim, just by following one or two

rules one dosent become muslim, Do you know that Jews also Circumcise , so have they all become muslims??, what a foolish question is that, circumcison is

not an article of faith in Islam it is a Sunnat ( non obligratory ) and not Faraz ( obligatory ), evin if you are not circumcised you still are am muslims,

Regarding Women the question is really absurd, please clean your mind before speaking on religious topics it does not suite the followers of Guru Gobind

Singh to have such filthy Mindsets.

The above verses of Kabir is against an arrogant muslim official who on account of his circumcision was giving a sence of a superiority complex over the

audience presiding..

Please dont quote the verses out of context , read the episode fully and quote such things..

15."-don't revere tombs of pirs and fakeers"

Well dont have reverence for religious personalities , then dont that is up to you , you dont want to respect your great personalities then dont, then stop

goint to places like SisGang Sahib in Chandini Chouk and the Gurudwaras in Sirhind Too. Why are so many Sikhs going there , can you answer me that ??

Islam is very open in this subject , we remember and give reverence to the Great personalities of Islam as a matter of fact any muslim , by going to their

grave site and reading the Sura Fatiha of the Quran.

I wish you knew the meaning of the Sura Fatiha,,..

Anyway my freind Hope you are satisfied with the answers, all your misconceptions might have gone ...

Peace to you too.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...