Nau Nidh

Jash

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh..

i've gone thru quite a number of tuks in guru maharaaj ji talking abt Nau Nidh..or the Nine Treasures....i'm just wondering ..what are the 9 treasures?

Please clarify n explain..

thank you very much

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

the nine treasures all link back to "naam"...

1. ‘Padam’ – gold, silver, and the like

2. ‘Mahaan Padam’ – gems, jewels etc

3. ‘Sankh’ – delicious things to eat

4. ‘Makar’ – training in the use of arms

5. ‘Kachhap’ – clothes, corn and the like

6. ‘Kund’ – dealings in gold

7. ‘Neel’ – trading in gems and jewels

8. ‘Mukand’ – mastery of the fine arts

9. ‘Kharab’ or ‘Warch’ – riches of all kinds

What are the "Nau-Nidh" (Nine treasures of wealth)?

Gurmukh Singh – Panthic Weekly Columnist

Gurbaani is essentially poetry. To convey the message effective language tools were needed to explain to individuals the message of Vaheguru. These included using metaphors, imagery and similes. Guru Ji drew upon the culture, beliefs and ambient practices of the society when Gurbaani was revealed to help explain to the common folk the universal message of Truth. Therefore, to fully understand the message of Gurbaani a person needs to have knowledge of the culture, mythology and languages of the Indian sub-continent, which combined with the aforementioned language tools and grammar allows one to fully understand in correct context what Guru Ji is saying. As a result of ignorance of the latter mentioned points one can sometimes misread and misunderstand the message of Gurbaani.

This week’s article will focus on what are the ਨਉਨਿਧਿ (Nau-nidh), translating to mean ‘nine treasures of wealth’. This term is mentioned in the Ardaas ( recited daily by Sikhs) and in Gurbaani. Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the Tenth Guru, writes the first part of Ardaas. Guru Ji ends this verse by writing:

ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਸਿਮਰਿਐ, ਘਰ ਨਉਨਿਧਿ ਆਵੈ ਧਾਇ॥ ਸਬ ਥਾਈਂ ਹੋਇ ਸਹਾਇ॥

"Remember and meditate upon (Guru) Teg Bahadur; and then nine sources of wealth will come hastening to your home. (O Respected Gurus!) kindly help us everywhere."

‘Nau Nidh’ appears in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 39 times.

According to Indian thought traditionally Nau Nidheeaa(n) or Nine treasures are described as the following:

1. ‘Padam’ – gold, silver, and the like

2. ‘Mahaan Padam’ – gems, jewels etc

3. ‘Sankh’ – delicious things to eat

4. ‘Makar’ – training in the use of arms

5. ‘Kachhap’ – clothes, corn and the like

6. ‘Kund’ – dealings in gold

7. ‘Neel’ – trading in gems and jewels

8. ‘Mukand’ – mastery of the fine arts

9. ‘Kharab’ or ‘Warch’ – riches of all kinds

In the context of Gurbaani the Nau-Nidh or nine sources of wealth are related to ‘Naam’ (the Lord’s Name).

ਆਪਿ ਸੁਜਾਣੁ ਨ ਭੁਲਈ ਸਚਾ ਵਡ ਕਿਰਸਾਣੁ ॥ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਧਰਤੀ ਸਾਧਿ ਕੈ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇ ਦਾਣੁ ॥ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਉਪਜੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਏਕੁ ਕਰਮਿ ਪਵੈ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ॥2॥

"The True Lord Vaheguru knows all; He makes no mistakes. He is the Great Farmer of the Universe. First, He prepares the ground, and then He plants the Seed of the True Name. The nine treasures are produced from Name of the One Lord. By His Grace, we obtain His Banner and Insignia. ||2||" (Ang 19, SGGS)

ਮੈ ਛਡਿਆ ਸਭੋ ਧੰਧੜਾ ॥ ਗੋਸਾਈ ਸੇਵੀ ਸਚੜਾ ॥ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਮੈ ਪਲੈ ਬਧਾ ਛਿਕਿ ਜੀਉ ॥8॥ ਮੈ ਸੁਖੀ ਹੂੰ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਗੁਰਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਵਸਾਇਆ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਪੁਰਖਿ ਵਿਖਾਲਿਆ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਧਰਿ ਕੈ ਹਥੁ ਜੀਉ ॥9॥

"I have forsaken all my entanglements; I serve the True Lord of the Universe. I have firmly attached the Name, the Home of the Nine Treasures to my robe. ||8|| I have obtained the comfort of comforts. The Guru has implanted the Word of the Shabad deep within me. The True Guru has shown me my Husband Lord Vaheguru; He has placed His Hand upon my forehead. ||9||" (Ang 73, SGGS)

ਸਬਦੈ ਸਾਦੁ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਤਾ ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾਣਹਿ ॥ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਬਦਿ ਵਖਾਣਹਿ ॥ ਸਚੇ ਸੇਵਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਨਿ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਵਣਿਆ ॥5॥

"Those who know the essence of the Shabad, understand their own selves. Immaculate is the speech of those who chant the Word of the Shabad. Serving the True One, they find a lasting peace; they enshrine the nine treasures of the Naam within their minds. ||5||" (Ang 115, SGGS)

It is clear from reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that the Nine treasures or Nine sources of wealth mentioned in the Ardaas in fact refers to the ਨਾਮ ਰੂਪ ਦੌਲਤ, the wealth of Naam rather than being concerned with the Nine things which are believed to be treasures and sources of wealth according to the traditional beliefs of the Indian subcontinent in themselves.

ਮ: 5 ॥ ਵਿਣੁ ਤੁਧੁ ਹੋਰੁ ਜਿ ਮੰਗਣਾ ਸਿਰਿ ਦੁਖਾ ਕੈ ਦੁਖ ॥ ਦੇਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੀਆ ਉਤਰੈ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਭੁਖ ॥ ਗੁਰਿ ਵਣੁ ਤਿਣੁ ਹਰਿਆ ਕੀਤਿਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਿਆ ਮਨੁਖ ॥2॥

"Fifth Mehl: To ask (from You) for any other than You, Vaheguru, is the most miserable of miseries. Please bless me with the Naam, Your Name, and make me content; may the hunger of my mind be satisfied. The Guru has made the dried woods and jungles and meadows has made them green again. O Nanak, is it any wonder that Vaheguru also makes human beings green and blessed as well ||2||" (Ang 958, SGGS)

Gurmukh Singh can be reached at gurmukh.singh@panthic.org

source (The Panthic Weekly www.panthic.org): http://www.panthic.org/news/129/ARTICLE/1463/2005-06-26.html

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

the nau nidhs are what sscom has stated....and why maharaj has blessed us with these is simply because as grist a person will need money and well the khalsa gets the best! (only get the nau nidh if u done loads of naam)

theres a catch though only ppl who make it to like 7 stage of brahamgyan get like all of the ridh sidh nau nidhs as these "forms" only do sewa of ppl who are letting of simran in all directions :lol: - my sources come from giani thakur singhs katha

there are 18 ridhi sidhis that one can obtain...and a side note the ridhi sidhis u obtain from gurbani DONT make u go from the path of god as guru nanak maharaj instructs them not to but if u get ridhi sidhis another way (other mantras or yoga or something) they make u do bad things...also from katha i heard that when one makes it to the 10th gate there are millions and millions of ridhi sidhis there ..maybe someone can list the 18 as i cant seem to find the complete list